Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nappy Random Thoughts Deposit Box...

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    I got a tight to loose curls (and napps) thing going one so, I know how you feel . I don't know what your hair type is, but the majority of looser naturals (3bs and 3cs) can do twistouts without a problem. I have both 3c and 4b sections, and my 3c section gives me good twistouts, but the 4b section struggles . If I had this same 4b all over, twistouts and braidouts would not be happening. Kinkier textures tend to get shrinkage out the butt, even without water hitting it. I wish that my hair would swell more actually .
    I am definitely not in that majority. My hair is loose curls at the crown a mix of loose, tight, and "in between" throughout the rest, but my hair texture is all kinds of nuts. As dense and "coarse" as the strands are, you'd think I'd be able to wear a twist out but no--shrinkage out the yang, tangles to high hell, insane frizz, eats product like nobody's business and the roots are out of control. If I had the same curl pattern and texture throughout, hair-life would be so much easier. At least in my head. LOL I might try using a product that cuts down on frizz (mineral oil or no) as LBell suggested just to see how if that might work. Or at least a product that contains bee's or caranuba wax (I know they're out there...).

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mikalia, you asked how I did with old-fashioned grease. In addition to reduced shrinkage, my hair felt pretty good. There's a smell associated with mineral oil that I'm not too fond of, but I dealt with it. And I too was worried about buildup, so I shampooed more often. Unfortunately I overdid it on the shampoo and spent a few weeks dealing with hair that was drier than usual. Maybe if I'd used a more traditional grease, one that was basically petrolatum and fragrance, that wouldn't have happened. (I used Blue Magic Coconut Oil, which contains mineral oil, coconut oil, and fragrance, in that order.)

It occurred to me today that (as is the case with a lot of things in my life) I do things a little backwards from other people. A lot of folks reserve WNGs for the summer and wear other styles the rest of the year. If I wear WNGs this summer, it'll be because I don't care about frizz or shrinkage. In fact I won't even try for definition; I'll just wear a semi-stretched random-looking 'fro and be done with it.

On another topic: Your and AfroIsland's descriptions of your hair make me see just how difficult (dare I say pointless) the whole Andre hair typing system is. Even though I have a definable coil pattern I don't feel comfortable putting myself in the 4a category because they're so small. I don't even feel comfortable calling them curls...Yet as someone who considers herself "mostly-4b" I don't have a problem with twistouts lasting longer than a day...but again it depends on the products used. My strands are fine, they straighten fairly easily (well, they did last time I straightened, which was over 9 years ago), and they suck up water like a sponge. And if left alone to shrink on their own I will end up with a sponge on my head, lol.
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    On another topic: Your and AfroIsland's descriptions of your hair make me see just how difficult (dare I say pointless) the whole Andre hair typing system is. Even though I have a definable coil pattern I don't feel comfortable putting myself in the 4a category because they're so small. I don't even feel comfortable calling them curls...Yet as someone who considers herself "mostly-4b" I don't have a problem with twistouts lasting longer than a day...but again it depends on the products used. My strands are fine, they straighten fairly easily (well, they did last time I straightened, which was over 9 years ago), and they suck up water like a sponge. And if left alone to shrink on their own I will end up with a sponge on my head, lol.
    Yep, I see the Andre system as a reference on what the 4 type may look like to the eye BUT you are right it is not right on like that. My 4B hair holds twist outs for days and my hair gets bigger but I really can't do a wash n go. We really do have diverse hair, even with in the same number and letter on that dang Andre system :-).

ETA: By the way LBELL I like your 2013 hair motto.
    Last edited by Olahh; 02-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Likes AfroIsland liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...I've seen that Blue Magic Coconut Oil floating around (especially in the drug store). I'll try that. Thankfully it's dirt cheap and if I don't like it, I can hand it off to someone else. I'd definitely have to wash my hair more over the course of the month, but seeing how I barely wash my hair two times a month (out of laziness), then it's a minor issue. Thanks for the input/insight LBell.

And yeah, that hair typing system is truly useless in the grander scheme of things. I don't think any hair typing system will be "all inclusive" because of the sheer amount of differences per head of hair. People try to come up with new ones, but I just roll my eyes and keep it moving. Once you know what works for you, the charts, graphs, and "systems" are just fodder.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinky Twist....first wash DISASTAHHHH!!!

I've known for years now that it's better for me to do hair washing in the shower. But lil ol me decided to try it in the sink. Mistake #1. That made a mess and soaked my shirt...had product burning my eyes.

Intended to do a co-wash. All was well until I rinsed and found the gummy remnants of Eco styler mixed with condish in my twists. Looked like spider webs. Mistake #2.

I added globs of shampoo to my twists and squeezed it in. Rinsed in the sink;suds still weren't gone. Mistake #3

So, I ended up rinsing in the shower for AWHILE.

Now I have my twists wrapped in a towel, waiting for me to inspect them for ridiculous frizz.

Funny thing is, I never intended to soak my whole head.... Mmm...Welp, i certainly have learned a thing or 2. It'll be alright.
    bbl.
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 02-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

nzgirl is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I styled my hair in a frohawk. Response from Mom "It looks scary". Response from Dad, "Are you finished with your hair?". Oh well. I think it looks awesome. My mom had a long weave put in. When we walked in the door my two year old neice says hi to me, then sees my mom and right away "Your hair is soooo pretty grandma"...Is she already conditioned to think long straight hair is prettier??? At 2 years old??? That can't be right.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a wig today...this will be my go-to style if I don't feel like doing my hair. It's not quite what I wanted but it's good enough.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitting here with extra virgin olive oil in my hair, waiting on my food to arrive so I can eat it and wash my hair in the shower, and twist it right up before attempting to take a nap before dance class. I have no idea what this is supposed to do for my hair besides cut the harshness of a shampoo, but hopefully it'll accomplish something...otherwise, I wasted some olive oil I could have been eating with my food.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I REALLY want a tingle shampoo. I haven't had one since the Jamaican Mango & Lime one I used a few years ago.

My hair is gorgeous and is so. frickin'. soft! I love it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This afternoon I tried Pantene's Truly Natural Cowash conditioner and Curl Defining Styling Custard (something like that). So far I don't know how I feel about the Cowash since I used it after having to shampoo my hair twice, so that it would stop smelling like damn shea butter . Oh the other hand, my first impression of the Styling Custard is that it's the bomb-dot-com ! Goes on easily, has weight to it (cut down shrinkage), has a hold that's at the line between stiff and crunchy. Also my hair is crazy defined (luv) and 4 hours later is 85% dry!!! That I was not expecting at all. It's suppose to have 24 hour frizz control, and I noticed that it doesn't have glycerin. So far it's the best 5 dollars I've spent in a week.

I think my shea butter (and honestly the AVG) may have been a waste of money . Although I detangled 2 days ago, I lost enough hair for it to have been double that. Also I kept finding big clumps of hair, that almost looked like entire curls) hanging off a lot of my ends. And when I wet my hair, it like hardened. I don't know it that's normal or not.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

12. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast