Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sisterlock Journey

Anyone ever went from having their Sisterlocks Installed to immediately care for their own Sisterlocks? Or maintaining it on their own after six months to a year?

Anyone ever went from having Sisterlocks installed by one person then going to have someone else maintaining them?

I have a Sisterlock Consultant in mind. I just think her maintenance fee is a little too costly when I have heard cheaper Maintenance fees.

I am going to be going to between three and four consultants. But IMO I feel the installation is one of the most important parts of the sisterlock journey.

I spoke to one consultant over the phone who I felt just was not for me. I want nice full locks. I want my locks to be nice and full WITHOUT the need to always have to curl them. She kept telling me if I wanted the full look I can always curl them. I already knew that consultant was going to be a disaster, plus I did not like her attitude the way she came off.

I also noticed its always the ones with the nasty attitudes that are always trying to keep in touch with you as if their work doesn't speak for itself.

This will not be my first consultation. I had a Sisterlock Consultation back in September or October 2010. And I did not like her work at all. And when I had her give me a style her attitude was kinda nasty when I looked in the mirror and did not like it. She also asked me if I was ready to start my sister locks. Urrghhh.

Anyways. I will be going to at least three or four consultations within the next couple of weeks/months and I will continue to update you all on everything.

My goal is to have a full healthy set of beautiful sisterlocks that I won't want to take down after two years.

I also know part of the consultation is to put test locs in your hair. How far in between consultations should I schedule with consultants?

I am already in the process of scheduling one. Which is with the consultant whose work I have seen on fb already she she's REAL good.

I know she's going to charge a lot, thats why I am looking into other consultants.
    Last edited by IndividualME; 02-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Last Relaxer March 2010.
    BCed Jan 5th 2011.
    Locked Jan 5th 2011.
    Loose Napp Now.
    Will be embarking on my sisterlock journey soon!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To your questions, the answer is yes. One thing to remember about Sisterlocks. They really aren't that magical. They are just skinny locks. What they are doing is just interlocking/latching. I've had my SLs for over 10 years.

After I had my SLs started, I moved across the country and had to use a different consultant. My hair was fine. You'll be fine however you decide to maintain.

If you're looking at multiple consultants, only let the final one put in the test locks. Having test locks from other consultants will be useless.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

3. Likes bigpuff 02 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was required to have them put test locks in each time.

I'm going to let my first choice put test locks in. I may have someone else do the retightenings after the initial install.

Do you still go to Cynthia?
    Last Relaxer March 2010.
    BCed Jan 5th 2011.
    Locked Jan 5th 2011.
    Loose Napp Now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    I thought it was required to have them put test locks in each time.

I'm going to let my first choice put test locks in. I may have someone else do the retightenings after the initial install.

Do you still go to Cynthia?
    It's your head. Nothing is required that you don't allow. If you don't want 2 or 3 sets of starter locks, you don't have to get them.

No, I've moved. Cynthia was great and I miss her.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really up to you. I was blessed to meet and love my consultant so did not have to look any further. It is important to have a good consultant but make sure you have realistic expectations because everyone's hair will look different. : )

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I maintained mine after the initial installation. Seven years on I'm still happy with them. Regarding having a full look, that's dependent on your own hair rather than the consultant. Smaller locs will give a fuller look than big locs on any given person, but only the density of your own hair can make it full.

It differs from person to person, but mine took around three years for the individual locs to puff out to their full size. I have very thick hair, but I was very scalpy for the first few weeks. It's worth searching blogs to see starter SLs compered to mature SLs, so that you can have a realistic picture of how they behave.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont mean this in a negative way but IMO your kind of all over the place lol. I know you want the best for hair and want to make the right decision because sisterlocks are an investment however I would not let price be the end all be all. Some consultants/trainees charge different prices for a reason. For example one may charge say $25 an hour but their retightening speed may not be there and you can easily walk out of a retighting session paying $125 or more each month where as someone else may charge $30 an hour but you come out spending less,say $90 a month because that person has their speed up and can knock your session out in 3 hours in under.
    Same with installation, price is determined by length and density of hair, the region in which your having your locs done, if the person is a consultant or trainee,etc

I would continue to follow my instinct like you did on that consultant you didnt like and narrow down my consultations to just two people. Make sure you ask them the important questions to really test their sisterlock knowledge. I'd look for someone for the long haul, not just someone to install and then ditch for what assume may be greener pastures.

And yes there are many sisterlocks who did their own reti's immediately after having them installed and never looked back and their locs are thriving.
    There is no right wrong, just keep your eyes open and follow your instincts.

9. Likes bigpuff 02, Denny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone. Just an update on what has been happening so far with my sls journey.

First I want to respond to Fuesha.
    I might sound all over the place because I am. I was thinking of what I wanted out of my locks/hair in general. I realized that for now I would rather have someone else do my hair.

I saw someone two weeks ago. She put some test locks in my hair. She said if I wanted that fullness I would have to get micro sls. She put different sizes in my hair and quotes me $650. She seemed like she was more eagered to do my hair and not really caring a bout what my test locks looked like after the wash. I washed them and took very good thorough up close pictures of them. She really did not respond. I wanted her to see what they did and which pattern was best for my hair. She just wanted to schedule installation. Major turn off. I saw a few pictures of her work and I was not impressed at all. I just did not like her work. Most of her work looked like people who needed their hair repaired and went the sls route.

Sunday I spoke with another consultant in the city and she is no longer doing installations. The lady she does installations with Cynthia (Straightnochaser and Chachadiva's former consultant) is no longer working in the city I hear.
    It would help if the information is updated on the sls website. She referred me to another woman who is a trainee. I was actually a bout to call her after I got off the phone with this consultant. I left a message and she called me back the next day. We spoke on the phone for an hour and she understood my goals and how important the installation process is. She works under a Sls "master consultant." And although she lives in the city and reighten on her own she does installations in Mount Vernon. She was thinking it might be too far away for me (which it is) and if I have a lot of hair it will take me a long time to get it done. Soooo... she referred me to someone who started her locks. I felt in a sense because of this she was pushing me away, but I am considering her for reightenings. She does reightenings in the city.

The next couple of women are too far away but are my top two choices.

So I am back at square one looking for more consultants. I will look at some trainees and consultants and make a few more calls tomorrow. Its pretty frustrating process because some people are good but are soooooooo far a way and some people are just not that great at all.

Also, another problem I have is that people are no longer working in certain areas anymore, but according to the sls website its saying they are. Thats misleading. Anyway, I will let everyone know what happens next.
    Last Relaxer March 2010.
    BCed Jan 5th 2011.
    Locked Jan 5th 2011.
    Loose Napp Now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the consultant she referred you to?

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to share that it's possible to maintain your own Sisterlocs, esp. when you are forced to, if you will. I moved cross country to a state where I could not locate a certified consultant. But I eventually found someone who does know how to retighten but does not consider herself a consultant (I don't think she's started any Sisterlocs). I will have had my locs going on 17 months in early March.

Hope everything works out for you.
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast