User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of Natural Are You?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Naturallista (Went natural post Good Hair Movie)

5 4.90%
  • I am a Natural Nazi (Probably went natural b/t 2000-2008, may or may not embrace the term)

44 43.14%
  • I am a curly girl(Went natural in 2011-2013)

9 8.82%
  • I'm Just Natural (May have gone natural before 2005...

20 19.61%
  • I'm a Veteran (Old school natural or always a natural)

24 23.53%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Generation Natural Are You?

I got to thinking.... There are different layers and levels of natural out there now more than ever. What generation are you? What would you label your generation and Why? Are there good, bad, indifferent thoughts on a generation?

IMHO...
    I am a reformed Nazi...and just consider myself a Veteran now.
    There are different levels to veterans, but most don't stress about other's hair choices.

Seems like naturalists/curly girls are into curl definition and methods to create that look

Nazis-well that's subjective too, but overall feels that there's one way to do it and every other mind sets or ways are not hard core.

What say you? I'm hoping we can take this thread back a bit and lay out it old skool style like we used to.....
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 02-11-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting poll...I know you probably don't want my opinion but I'm a veteran and an old lady so I'mma give it to you anyway...

Another way to look at the divide might be as follows:

1) Pre-Internet naturals (which is really pre-World Wide Web naturals; I'm using the dividing line of 1994 which is around the time the Web became accessible to the public)
    -1a) People who have always been natural and were born in or before 1994
    -1b) People who weren't always natural but did so in or before 1994
    2) Post-Internet naturals
    -2a) People who have always been natural
    -2b) People who weren't always natural but did so after 1994
    --2b1) People who went natural 1995-2004
    --2b2) People who went natural after 2004 (which is around the time blogs began to get popular; I forget when MotownGirl's went up but I think hers was one of the first; even though NP started in 2002 I'm ignoring it (Dee may disagree) because in the early years NP was seen as "fringe" and too radical for a lot of folks; additionally this category could be broken up into pre-YouTube and post-YouTube.)

I use the Internet as a guide because so much of the natural hair renaissance is Internet-based BUT it could also be said that Madison Avenue played a role when it started showing women with natural type 4 hair that wasn't a 'fro in mainstream commercials. I noticed my first one in 2000, and by that time natural hair had been growing in popularity in parts of NYC's black communities (I'm thinking specifically of Brooklyn) for at least five years if not longer.

IMO each one of these divisions has a unique and distinct take on what it means to be natural. After 18 years of relaxers I went natural in 1995 and I remember when there was very little information available outside of a few books (Good Hair being a milestone book). I also remember the early days of the online natural hair community when all we had were words -- no photos, no videos, none of that. A lot of the things I do to my hair now styling-wise I've learned in the last 5 years and that has everything to do with blogs and vlogs. (Co-washing, moisturizing and sealing all predate those.)

My veteran old lady's take on things...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 02-12-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't really get into "generations" or labels and the such. Wearing my natural hair was a conscious choice and devoid of any declared intentions--beyond carrying out my intention of having natural hair by just doing it--or proving some sort of point. And as a person who was a juvenile cancer patient and lost all their hair to chemo, I lost all attachment to my hair at an early age so as an adult, it really is "just hair" to me. I guess I'm one of those "veterans" who really don't stress about other's choices or my own for that matter. *shrug* Got bigger fish to try.

Tell you what does get on my nerves from time to time, though: "The Curl Chase". I still get too many women asking/interrogating/demanding how to "make" or "create" curls and get pissy when they find out they can't make their hair do things it's not meant to (with the exception of a relaxer or heat). Either you have a definable curl pattern or you don't. And if you don't, IT'S ALRIGHT. Your hair is not "broken", you are not "broken", that's just the way your hair is and there is NOTHING wrong with NOT having a curl.

And that's my final thought.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started transitioning in 2005 and finished in 2006. I got to meet MotownGirl back then after seeing her website. I didn't realize she was a pioneer of sorts. I probably had "Nazi-like" tendencies so that's interesting to coincide that attitude with that time span. I think both polls/categories offer useful insights.
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been natural off and on throughout my life. This last span started in late 2003/early 2004 and has probably been the longest span of my adult life. I've never had the Nazi attitude about things. I never relaxed my daughter's hair though, but that was because it was just so thick and luscious (she was born in 1994). She loved standing out from the other girls with her big hair.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only relaxed once in my life for a period of 5 years, I'm 27 and my last relaxer was in 2006.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My initial response to the "Natural Nazi" option was "WTH?! Why I got to be a Nazi just because I went natural in those years !!" And then I remembered that I was a baby Nazi that first year and change . NP used to be kinda hardcore a couple of years ago. So much so, for me, that I actually stopped frequenting this forum for a little while. I am so not a Natural Nazi anymore. I appreciate healthy hair and long hair, kinky-curly hair is just my preference.

I went natural in Nov. 2007. I found Motown Girl that summer, and I wanted to go natural but chickened out right before going to college . When I went to college, I befriended the first natural (not loc'd) I had ever met in person. With some subtle encouragement, I got 3 friends and 1 professor to cross over to the natural side.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went natural in early 2006. So...I guess Natural Nazi? But I didn't have that I hate p.erms phase. I just had a I wanna chop my hair off phase. Then I decided not to relax because my natural hair was/is so awesome.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is too funny to me...

According to the poll, I'm a veteran. I always considered myself a "Lauryn Hill"natural. She was my main inspiration.

According to LBellatrix I'm in the 2b1 camp. I bc'd in 97.
    Last Perm: April 1997
    BC'd: July 1997
    Loc'ed up: February 14, 2002
    Cut locs from TB to Bra Strap: November 2012

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked Nazi since that was the closest to 2009 but I'm definitely not that. I don't think there's one way to do it and the hard core folks actually irk me, lol.
    Last edited by bhop13; 02-12-2013 at 04:52 AM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast