Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why a smart phone?

This may seem like a crazy question but thoughts are appreciated. I do not have a smart phone (gasp!) and honestly don't see the point. My phone is used for a bit of talking and a bit of texting. I go on the internet once a day with my phone because the particular website that I go to is blocked at worked. Other than that, I don't access the internet or take pics or anything else with my phone.

My question is, what is a smartphone really? Also, based on what I stated above, is it worth the extra money for me to change to a smartphone?

I'm asking these questions because it's time for me to upgrade if I choose to. Right now I have a Pantech phone that looks like a Blackberry. It's a 3g and a non-smart phone. I can get a nice smart phone (IPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Blackberry, etc.) for anywhere from 99 cents to $50 dollars or I can stick with a non-smart phone and get a free upgrade.

Thoughts?
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was like you...wondering why I should upgrade to a smartphone when my dumb-phone was working just fine. It wasn't like I was texting on a regular basis and I had my laptop if I wanted to get online, my iPod if I wanted to listen to music, my camera if I wanted to take pics...

Here's how my iPhone (first a 3GS, now a 5) has changed my frickin LIFE:
    - Just having a real screen display that's also in color and that you can customize puts a smile on my inner artist's face.
    - Readability is much better for text messages and everything else.
    - Being able to take photos and shoot videos on the spot is great. In fact, my phone is a better camera than my camera. Also, having a front-facing camera means you can do video calls (though I haven't tried this yet)
    - GPS mapping system (I use Mapquest but there are others) I never had one of those dashboard-mounted things.
    - A variety of easy-to-use utilities (I probably use the Clock feature -- timer, alarm, etc. -- the most, but I also like the calculator)
    - I still haven't figured out how to get all my music transferred, but I like having the option to do so.
    - A built-in browser (Safari) makes (almost) the whole Web available.

Note that everything I've just described comes standard with the iPhone. I haven't even gotten into all the APPS...Here are my favorites:
    - Communication: Facebook, GMail, Twitter
    - Books: Kindle, OverDrive (this lets you take e-books and audiobooks out from your public library)
    - Banking app (I can deposit checks through it!), drugstore app (for prescription refills)
    - References: Wikipedia, Google
    - Stitcher Radio is how I listen to some of my favorite podcasts
    - Games (of course): Angry Birds mainly, also Zynga Poker, plus I found a nice free bid whist app

It's basically like having a little computer in your purse. Now I will say that my phone reception could be better but I'm blaming that on AT&T and my location. Otherwise, yeah, this thing has changed my LIFE, I tell you...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently branched into the smartphone arena after being just dandy with my dumbphone, until it broke. I got a smart phone at a great price (eBay) and I enjoy getting weather updates, email (I never got online with my dumbphone even though it had the capability, the apps just make it too easy not to), navigation (I was previously using my tablet for GPS but not anymore)...that's what I've used on my smartphone that I didn't on my dumbphone. I do a lot of texting, and it keeps a conversation better (you can see the back and forth with the person), so that's helpful.

I love that it didn't cost me anymore than what I was already paying (I have prepaid that came with data so I didn't have to "upgrade" to a data plan), but I use wi-fi most of the time anyway! I think it's convenient and it'll simplify my life when I get it customized to everything I need, glad I took the plunge!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The GPS feature alone makes my smartphone worth the $129 I paid for it. All other features (Gmail, Yahoo, the Web) are secondary.

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! I'm still considering it.

It's funny that all of you mention GPS . I work for AAA and it's a regular topic of conversation about how people have become so dependant on the GPS that they no longer bother to look at where they are going. It's annoying and I often feel nervous for people when trying to get a person to tell you where they are in order to send them help and they have no clue other than to say "let me see what my GPS says." I often feel bad for people especially when they are on the interstate/highway. It's really annoying when the person is sitting in the PARKING LOT of a gas station and are too lazy or whatever to go inside and ask for the address.

Anywho...sorry for going off on my sidebar. I will look at more phones and go from there.

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm deep in the matrix and don't understand the resistance to technology. (Not a criticism but just me wondering what's up with that. ) It's simply helpful from A-Z, including GPS. I use my constantly for things like tracking mass transit because, unless I've rented a car, I don't drive. Knowing when my train or bus is going to arrive because it's tracked by GPS is so helpful. I can run if I need to or walk because I know there is no way I'm less than a minute away. When it comes to transit where I live, I can hail a cab for close to nothing with my phone and use it to set up a reservation if I need a car to drive RIGHT NOW.

As for your GPS sidebar, I think any new technology causes some of that. However, my parents taught me how to read maps and find directions to places using AAA maps for them. Not everyone is just blindly following their GPS. I overrule mine a lot because I realize the technology still isn't as good as I am if I'm familiar with the area. When GPS is most helpful is when you're heading to a new spot. I still plot a route online before I fire up GPS because it can also just be wrong sometimes.

I can even order food using my phone like not just pizza but crazy stuff like Indian food. It just consolidates the data easier and makes it quicker. There is nothing wrong with that at all.
    There are so many other functions these phones have and they're also phones, so you can talk to people too. The only big concern is how much juice they can take. I keep mine plugged in all the time and for each smartphone I've ever owned I've had an extra battery and/or power source just in case.
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 02-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Scribe. I consider myself fairly tech savvy and I keep up with the latest technology. I just prefer to use only what's necessary in my life and I honestly can't see where having apps and all of those things will enhance what I already do. I don't facebook or tweet or use gps, so my phone would really still only be used for occassional internet, talking and texting.

I honestly wasn't sure what a smartphone did and aside from researching online, I wanted to see what other people thought. I'm open to trying one though.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by twix36; 02-18-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks for Panking me!!

8. Likes chachadiva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twix36 View Post
    Thanks Scribe. I consider myself fairly tech savvy and I keep up with the latest technology. I just prefer to use only what's necessary in my life and I honestly can't see where having apps and all of those things will enhance what I already do. I don't facebook or tweet or use gps, so my phone would really still only be used for occassional internet, talking and texting.

I honestly wasn't sure what a smartphone did and aside from researching online, I wanted to see what other people thought. I'm open to trying one though.

Thanks again everyone!
    i see technology the same way ; if it's not useful in my life then i'm not going to change my life around to make it fit. just like i didnt buy a large cheese grater until i needed one i'm not going to buy other stuff either if i dont need them.

with that said, my smart phone is very useful. beyond the regular stuff like phone and email i use it to
    - track public transit
    - stream music and videos when i'm at the gym, in transit or just bored
    - fitness related things : tracking runs with the GPS, digital log for my weight training, training programs like zombies,run and nike training app, HIIT timers, stop watches
    - amazon kindle app
    - keeping track of my finance
    - shopping via places like zappos and amazon from their apps.
    - personal organizer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a smart phone either. I think they're really cool, but I hate having anything heavy or clunky in my purse. I've been really considering it because of that Around The Way app. On the other hand, I haven't been phone shopping for years.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that is a one stop shop. Instead of carting around multiple books*, an mp3 player, an address book, a planner/appt. book and my phone, I have that all in one device. Additionally, I don't have to wait until I get to a "real" computer to get online. I can check the weather, news, my email, post on NP, and play my favorite games while I'm waiting in the doctor's office. I love it!

Recently, I went into one of my favorite stores and pulled up their app and immediately found coupons that I could use when I checked out. That was a nice touch because I never remember to bring along the ones they send through the mail. Saved $15 that day. <insert dancing smiley right here>

*I do still end up carrying a couple of books around with me. Sometimes I just like to feel and/or markup a physical book. Plus, I also have a tablet, so I only read on my phone for short time frames.
    Last edited by skittles04; 02-19-2013 at 02:30 AM.

12. Likes Scribetastic, Bejewelle liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast