Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    The Okra Reconstructor (which my hair still loves thankfully!) has wheat protein, amino acids, and keratin, but there's not a drop of protein to be found in the other products. I totally forgot about the Mills Creek Biotin conditioner I bought some weeks ago!! Thank you for making me remember that . I used to avoid protein like the plague but my hair is completely useless without a good dose of it. I have to remember to get a sample pack of Aphogee 2 minute because that puts my protein level exactly where it needs to be.
    I tend to err on the side of moisture. If you have protein in your products and you use said products more often than once every 2 weeks, it could be causing problems (since your hair hair is natural and you are not using heat or color). That could be why your hair is getting thicker(biotin and keratin), but it is also breaking. The extra protein may be causing your hair to get brittle. Protein, while a wonderful tool for styling and every once in a while strength, it can cause problems for me when it comes to detangling or length retention. Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair? Also, is your hair low porosity?
    Last edited by hivierhair; 05-12-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    Thank you to whoever panked me!!

2. Likes AfroIsland liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hivierhair View Post
    I tend to err on the side of moisture. If you have protein in your products and you use said products more often than once every 2 weeks, it could be causing problems (since your hair hair is natural and you are not using heat or color). That could be why your hair is getting thicker(biotin and keratin), but it is also breaking. The extra protein may be causing your hair to get brittle. Protein, while a wonderful tool for styling and every once in a while strength, it can cause problems for me when it comes to detangling or length retention. Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair? Also, is your hair low porosity?
    I haven't been using products with (outside of the Reconstructor recently) protein for the past 3 weeks, I guess. My hair thickens up for no reason that I can figure out . My hair is actually prone to getting soft and mushy (I think I've only had a protein overload once ever), so I have to use protein or my hair's a frizzy mess. Also I figured out that the suddenly breakage was from a moisture overload .

My strands are fine in my 4b and 4a sections, and medium to thick in the front and crown. The porosity is low on the sides (biggest pain in the butt!!) and normal everywhere else.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

4. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been using products with (outside of the Reconstructor recently) protein for the past 3 weeks, I guess. My hair thickens up for no reason that I can figure out . My hair is actually prone to getting soft and mushy (I think I've only had a protein overload once ever), so I have to use protein or my hair's a frizzy mess. Also I figured out that the suddenly breakage was from a moisture overload .

My strands are fine in my 4b and 4a sections, and medium to thick in the front and crown. The porosity is low on the sides (biggest pain in the butt!!) and normal everywhere else.
    Hmmm... Ok that makes sense, if most of your hair is fine, then you would be more prone to moisture overload rather than protein overload. ( I have been over conditioned once and it scared me! It was after using the Oyin hair dew several times a day and my glycerin spritz at night. I decided to baggy twice a week on top of that. I was going overboard because it was fall heading into winter and I wanted to figure out my moisture regimen. I slowed down quick!)

In any case I remember you complaining rather heavily about the shescentit, that it overconditioned your hair and caused shedding, breakage, etc. So, I would suggest listening to your instincts. I know that for me every time I fail to do this it is always at my own risk. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble with my hair in the past if I only listened to my instincts when dealing with my hair.

6. Likes AfroIsland liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to do with my hair . My hair's going through the get thicker, get rougher, break off phase during which I never know how to style it, and I just want to cut it off and start over . Does anyone else go through this? It's happened a couple of times and it's just so weird.
    I can relate AfroIsland! For me, it usually means that 1) I've over-done it with products (especially if those products contain protein or cones), 2) I haven't been moisturizing enough, or - the most likely one - 3) I need to smooth my cuticles down. Raised cuticles can make your hair feel really rough and hard to manage. What works for me is misting my hair with water (or my water/aloe vera juice mixture), then applying products with a focused smoothing motion (sandwiching sections of my hair between my hands and smoothing each section down a few times). Then I plait, twist, and/or knot my hair in the sections to help hold in that moisture, and that usually helps. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times, or do a really good cleansing and conditioning first, but it eventually works.

I know that you know your hair really well, though, so if that doesn't help you, I sure do hope you find a solution soon!!

8. Likes hivierhair, AfroIsland, OHR, NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

@ hivierhair and CCmomof5, thanks for the advice .

If the SSI products I bought didn't cost so much, I would just leave them alone, but they did so I'm going to figure out how to make them work Although I know that the formulation of the Marshmallow Hair Cream has changed (she added argan oil), there's nothing in the ingredients that my hair doesn't like. I'm figuring out that using the conditioner and the leave-in and sorbet is a bad, bad, bad idea . The other day I put in braids on slightly damp hair, and when I took them down my hair was okay. Today, I used Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor and AOBC, and I barely had any breakage in the shower . I used the Marshmallow cream as my leave-in and layered curl activator gel and EcoStyler on top for a wash n'go, and didn't lose as much hair as I had been. So I think my hair's on the road to recovery, but I may need to trim again.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

10. Likes NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad your hair is doing better AfroIsland . *hugs*

12. Thanks AfroIsland thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there ladies! Hope everyone's doing well. Some parts of my hair are grazing waist length, but I'm not sure if those ends are healthy enough to keep. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks, and after my next deep conditioning, I may be trimming off a half inch or so.

Either way, I'll try to post updates soon!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    Hey there ladies! Hope everyone's doing well. Some parts of my hair are grazing waist length, but I'm not sure if those ends are healthy enough to keep. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks, and after my next deep conditioning, I may be trimming off a half inch or so.

Whoopee! This is exciting! Congrats on your progress!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post

Woohoo on that!! Im so excited for you, are you ends as bad as you think? I'm sure you know whats healthy I cant wait for updates. I'll be posing pic updates next month as well, I've currently been wet bunning and wearing updos.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeahhhh updates! I dont know if I've had any growth spurts or not. I've been wearing my hair in twistout, puffs and wash n gos lately. Havent slacked on hair care because it's like second nature to me now.

Sent from GT-I5510 using Forum Runner
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. Likes Bithiya, hivierhair, NowIamnappy liked this post
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast