Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To Old for this mess-OPINIONS NEEDED!

Here is a response I rec'd from an African american owned establishment, with a very bad internet review reputation however it is a very well know upscale establishment. I been back for two interviews, they were supposed to make a decision Thursday between 2 and 6. I waited like a goofy girl going to the school dance, and at 6:15 I emailed them. Thanking them for interviewing me and expressing continued interest. This is what they wrote back....

<<<<I apologize for the late response. I would like to have you come in for a
    working interview. A working interview is essentially an opportunity for us to
    get a feel for your work style and vice versa. Your working interview will be
    approximately one hour, after which time we will discuss moving forward with
    employment. If you are interested, I would like to have you come in Sunday
    evening, at 4pm. Please let me know if this time works for you and if you are
    still interested.>>>>

to me this seems childish...I think as an employer myself, you make a commitment to the person to hire them before you keep disrespectfully taking time out of their lives. If you don't like them THEN YOU FIRE THEM...but a working interview...uh-uh...too many black employers in the city like to burn employees, like trying to give you your first pay a month after you start...my gut is saying write them a pointed letter because I will starve before I get THAT hungry!
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would still need be compensated with at least the minimum wage for the time worked. If the position has a base rate higher, you should (might like to) communicate your interest with that being stipulated as the pay rate for your working interview. If they start trying to curve around the law and such, you can acknowledge that you're no longer interested and continue on about your business. From there, if you want to fire off some letter, you might want to contact the authorities about them trying to not pay people for working interviews. Perhaps PA is different though, but can't hurt to check since you feel inclined to fire off something to someone in response.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

3. Likes fuzzy_slippers liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an employers market and they're trying to get more bang for buck... maybe even free.. lol. I think a working interview is fair. It grants the employee the opportunity to show skills and get a feel of the environment. An hour is adequate time to decide if the job is suitable. The only con, giving an employer free labor. From an employer perspective, it's a try before you buy. Why wait for a probationary period when an employer can decide within an hour. Save time & money.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your quick input guys...I dun got so old and crabby, I sent this email....an guess wut, LOL, I don't care, these folks jus get on my nerves with they new fangled ways of dealing with stuff...

<<<<When I saw this email, coupled with having actually waited, excited for a chance to work for your establishment then having read some of the internet reviews, the first thing that crossed my mind is that perhaps keeping one's word might not be too important at xxxxxxxxxxxx.

With that said, I am still flexible, having been an employer myself I always try to be respectful of people's personal economies. Would I do a working interview completely for FREE, uh....no, however, I think it would be true southern hospitality if after I worked for that hour, whether I am hired or not, that I am treated to a full dinner, so I can get an ideal of whom I would or could have been working for.

I had a great first impression of xxxxxxxxxxx and would like to give it a chance, I just ask that at the end of that one hour I get dinner and a final decision.>>>>>

#chufukmenoifukyu

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool proposition.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this reminds me of interviews i had with google. i went back 2 times and each time at least 2 of the 4-5 people who'd interview me asked me some present problem they were having and were picking my brain about ideas on how to resolve it.

when they called me in for interview #3 i was like "i dont think this is going to work out i'm no longer interested." eff that . those mothers still contact me every now and then, too.

but soap i would give them the benefit of the doubt and try the working interview. if they try something like that a second time then you'd know they're trying to get free work

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I first heard of this "working interview" nonsense last year. I have a friend who is a massage therapist and she learned about it the hard way. She interviewed with this establishment, they said they liked her and asked her to work that day. She worked the whole day, just for them to say that they were not able to hire anyone "at this time." When she asked about being compensated for her time, they told her it was a "working interview" and they didn't pay her. She clearly got scammed, as she had never heard the term before and they did not tell her what the deal was up front.

Soap, at least these folks are telling you what's up and are only asking for an hour. If you really want to position, go for it, but I DO like your idea of negotiating a free meal out of the deal. I hope everything works out well for you.
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year when my daughter was job hunting, alot of the "soul food" restaurants and bars were doing this. At first I encouraged her because she wanted to be a bartender and had went to a short training program...but what they do is ask you to work a short period, then they invite you back on another day "when the owners can observe you"...my daughter worked three part-time days before she wasn't given a job.

When I had my daycares I never did this because you have to cultivate a good employee. If you were willing to commit to me, I committed by offering a job. I never invited anyone to owrk for free, and they face great liability...what if a person gets hurt the first day...what do they teach you in business school, it's not a contract unless "money" is exchanged. (or some type of benefit is exchanged)

10. Thanks IvonNappy thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "working interview"? On a Sunday at 4PM?
    Really? Wow. OMG.
    I have never in my life heard of anything like this.
    That is not to say it isn't unheard of in occupations with which I am not familiar.

Scrolling through this thread, I come up with these questions:
    What if they get a good portion of their work done via the "working interview"? What if they actually have such built into their budget, to include a cap on monetary outlay for "regular" employees?
    Is this part of their evaluation - to see whether you are available/willing to drop everything and break your rest by coming to work for one hour on a Sunday, with minimal notice?
    If the job does involve 'Sunday on-calls', do they pay their staff for the time they spend sitting at home waiting to hear whether or not they are needed? -
    or do they pay only if the staff member is actually summoned into the worksite?
    What if they are prepared to offer only this type of arrangement, and they never call you (or any person working there, for that matter) an actual employee?
    What's in it for you or others if this type of deal is accepted? Perhaps: social connections? exposure to people in high places? off-the-books pay? flexible working hours?

Good luck with whatever you decide, my sister.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Y did that crap to me. I was NOT amused.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast