User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

View Poll Results: The thing I dislike the MOST is...

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • When people think my hair is fake/a wig. My hair is real, honey.

1 4.00%
  • When people are too rough with my hair. Breakin' my hair off like they crazy.

3 12.00%
  • When people tell me I need a relaxer. Yeah, scorchin' my hair straight is the answer.

4 16.00%
  • When people call natural hair nappy. It ain't nappy. It's called natural. Get it straight.

0 0%
  • These things all make me equally upset. People need to check themeselves.

2 8.00%
  • None of these things bother me. I rise above all ignorance.

15 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am working on developing the jedi mind trick of being immune to the opinions of others so that I don't spend time wondering what folks think about my hair.

I have realized that how folks see my hair is based on their perception and reality. So I can't do a thing to change it. I can only present myself the best I possibly can.

So if a person hates nappy/natural hair...they are going to hate mine, theirs and everyone else's hair they see. I don't take it personally. That's their perception. I am not going to suffer with bad feelings toward them just because they don't understand my hair.

I really see that when you chose natural hair for your own personal deep rooted reasons, it doesn't matter what others think. You appreciate the support and kind words, but you are so content with your decision...you don't need them. The opposite is true too. Being content with your decision to love your natural hair means that if someone else doesn't like it...you still sleep well at night.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is....
    When people tell me THEY cant go natural because THEIR hair is nappy. Nappy is a beautiful thing to me. My hair is nappy, so when I hear that I feel hurt to my core b/c the lack of self-love and the offense of it all. Especially, since my platform is the love of our hair. It's not like people who talk to me DONT know where i stand on this topic. So, at that point I usually let the silence take over and excuse myself from the conversation. Gotta let that marinate.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It kinda irks me when people don't realize that my hair is real, as if black women can't grow long hair.
    I have worked for a supervisor for over 12 years, whom we meet and talk to each other everyday...and for this entire time he did not know that my hair was real. People at the church that I recently joined did not know that my hair was real, but was always complimenting me about how "real" it looks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12