Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is it all worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirah Nirvana View Post
    I'm 25 and I absolutely love that post! I've been living on my own for over 2 years, and if circumstances were different I would still be living at home (I have a little brother who also lives at home, rent free, and no job...see the issue?).

I moved into an apt with rent that I can easily afford, and I don't plan on moving any time soon. I'm really taking a hard look at what I think I want, and I find out it's not much. I like to travel, and see different places, but I don't have to be in the most luxurious hotel with a bunch of things I won't use. I think for most of us, the problem is excess. It's thrown in our faces, and people are just eating it up. I've taken more proactive measures to protect myself from such influence. I know there are people who are above such influence, but there are so many implicit ways that consumerism and the culture of "more" can get into your subconscious.

I have this goal to be able to retire by 45 if I choose to. That means saving and learning more about what Mirah wants and needs. I'm also a believer in doing what you love (or fulfilling your purpose in this life). If I can do that and make a living then I'll keep doing it until I can't do it anymore. There is freedom and truly having a choice to leave a job for whatever reason, not just another job. I'll be following this thread closely! Thanks so much for posting
    27 now. Bought a house earlier this year. Mortgage is less than my rent, and I'm continuing to find ways to keep my expenses down. My goal was to have monthly expenses that I can manage comfortably on 10-20% less of my income. I can manage my expenses on about 15% less than what I make now. So there's some success.

2. Likes 7VeriRasta7 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is it all worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    I'm closer to 50 than I am to 30 and while I am by no means financially independent, I'm freer than a lot of people I know partially because for most of my adult life I've lived way below my means. If there's one thing I wish I'd done differently it's that I wish I'd actually drawn out a formal plan for becoming financially independent by a certain date. In my case I just kind of did it (lived below my means) because I don't like having a lot of stuff...I knew when I was young that I wanted to live what folks are now calling a minimalist life and that's the only reason why my closets weren't as full of clothes and shoes as my friends', and why I've only owned one stereo system in my life (and it's only because I won it). I bought my car with cash 15 years ago and I'm still driving it and it works just fine at almost 149,000 miles; when it goes I'll either buy another car with cash or do without (which means I need to live someplace where I'm able to walk to what I need, which is another lifestyle choice you make).
    Still closer to 50 than 30 , still driving my same car (162,000 miles now; she's showing some rust but she still runs just fine), and once again I'm living in a place that's within 8-15 minutes' walk of everything I need AND is near a major bus line that gets me to work and a lot of other places besides. I confess that I probably could have gotten a smaller place and saved a few hundred dollars a month, but after 9 years of living on the kind of wages I was making in the mid-late 80s I went a little bit nuts. I'm furnishing a little at a time...consignment and thrift stores are my new BFFs...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123