Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    If they know what they're doing--using decent ingredients and such--I don't mind. Haircare companies are in business to make money. Mind you. I can understand looking at an old company's new line and thinking something like, "Where were you when I needed you?"

But really. So long as no one's being exploited, I can't fault them for trying to keep up with their customers.
    I completely agree. I've been seeing commercials where companies like Dark and Lovely is coming out with a naturals line. I haven't actually looked at the product or the ingredients list. I've been seeing more and more natural women so they need a way to make their money flow in.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised at all. Just like any other company in the cosmetics industry, where there's a shift in trend, there's also profit. These companies would be foolish from a business and economic point of view not to capitalize. It's like telling a fashion designer to avoid spikes and rivets like the plague, when those things are so obviously popular. "Smithers, let them have their TAR-TAR sauce." If they want to bank on a shift in trends, so be it. If it was us in their position, we'd sure as shit jump on the bandwagon too. #DON'T FRONT EITHER

Quite frankly, I'm less interested in who is capitalizing on what and more interested in the long term ramifications of it all. If the availability of these products (quality considered) has made it possible for previously anti-natural women to consider going natural at all, then I'd say it's a step in a postive direction.

3. Likes gilroygal, Claire76, Bithiya liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed it and it doesn't bother me, nor does the fact that some of the products contain mineral oil, petroleum and the like. There often seems to be this consensus or expectation that "natural" hair requires "natural" products. Truth be told, people have been using petroleum, mineral oil, grease, etc. on "natural" hair for YEARS. Before, there was a "natural/organic" movement, people were using Blue Magic and Vaseline and swearing by it. Some people seem to like these ingredients, so as long as people are going to buy them, they'll be on the shelves. I personally did better (as a general rule) with petroleum than with shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba or any of that stuff because ALL of those things caused my dermatitis to flare up, yet because they were "natural" I felt like they should have been better. Nowadays, I just use water, which works for me.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just roll my eyes. I'm not buying that stuff.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

6. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Likes Batyah, Bithiya, Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Companies have always been about the money, so I wouldn't expect anything else. All sorts of products are jumping on the "natural" band wagon, not just hair products. I've don't think I've ever been a product junkie. For decades my hair care products have been shampoo, conditioner, (whatever was available) a man's cream hair dressing (brycreem) with olive oil as an occasional overnight oiling before washing, if my hair felt awful. I also relaxed about once a year. So that's three products, plus relaxing.

Now I'm shampoo, henna and oils (olive, almond, jojoba, castor, lavender and tea tree). That's it. I replace something about every six months or so. So whatever the companies do aren't really affecting me apart from my one giant bottle of shampoo every few months when they're at sale price.

I am just so cheap as far as cosmetic products go.

DeBe

8. Likes Claire76, Scribetastic, Bithiya, Denny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

supply and demand. i dont fault them. it would be silly for them to make product that no one was interested in buying wouldnt it?

naptural hair is a relatively new big phenomenon that started out as a trend but now has become more popular.

10. Likes Denny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be buying into it...Unless a company comes out with something revolutionary and I've read several reviews.

I'll just stick with my "white girl" conditioner and small organic natural hair companies. I could live off baking soda, acv, and evoo if I had to.

If anyone asks me about these "new" lines, I'll tell them it's just the same repackaged stuff they've been selling. (After I've checked the ingredients). Then I'll give them some suggestions.

It's just like my aunt, telling me how much Wen has made a difference in her hair. She's been spending loads of cash on the stuff. I kinda chuckled and told her, "It's just co-washing. I've been doing it for years. When you run out, you can try some of mine."

Seriously??? How much are they charging for Wen? $39.95? What a rip-off. Women should try co-washing with cheaper condish first. Unless they have it like that, and don't need money...

LBell, I see what you mean about some consumers being ignorant. So...If someone starts talking to me about products for natural hair, I feel like I should enlighten them.
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 03-19-2013 at 04:41 AM.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

12. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Likes Bithiya liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    I don't know, I feel like natural hair kind of lost its novelty. (And it really shouldn't be a novelty...What came first, our napptural hair or the chemicals that kill it?) It's just becoming so highly commericalized....Being natural is no longer "unique".
    I know what you mean! Since I have been natural, I have noticed more natural ladies in media and so on (it's probably just more awareness too). Actually, one girl who always rocked a weave/wig is now sporting a twa like I did. It's funny to me. However, I still read the products to see if they are organic and all natural. If not, I'm not messing with it.

14. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just find it annoying how anything labeled as 'natural' costs more. I don't like how the products that are most beneficial to the hair are more expensive. I don't use most of that stuff, but if I was someone considering going natural and saw how expensive everything was, and how complicated natural hair has been made out to be, I might be put off.

16. Likes KB, akamsnikki liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it is a blessing this plethora of products is available.

It made me realize the power of advertisement and attractive bottles.

Once I became/as i become educated about ingredients, and the hype of the media, thanks to hair boards such as this, I find myself marvelling at how I fell/fall for a lovely afro, textured hair, or perfectly thick straight hair and giving credit to a 'product'.

and then I realize the hair companies hire these models. The models' hair has nothing to do with their product.

I guess now I find myself being more interested in my hair and it's 'look' versus how a certain product will make me get that 'look'.

At this point, as of yesterday [LOL], i have pretty much settled with vo5's blackberry sage for its slip, and realized that unless i am trying to alter my texture instead of embrace it, the mass market and their tools are not for me.

Thank goodness for this product upheaval, it helped me A LOT.

For textured women, straight haired women, no poo women, the market has gone bonkers.

If you go to the hair aisle you will see the companies have just gone buck wild, period loreal, clear therapy, pantene, tresemme, etc, all have new ish.].

most of us are just noticing the stuff that applies to us, though...they are trying to suck EVERYONE in....

timely thread
    wash and goer, 4a, site: www.fotki.com/browncoily/

18. Likes Claire76, Bithiya liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast