Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face 2013 Year of Growth and Protection: Part Deux

Hey Y'all!

I saw that the last thread was closed, so I decided to start it again!

I've been away because I have a killer cold (I'm still nursing it right now), and I wasn't doing my hair really. I've come up with the epic, low manipulation, quick and easy protective style: Two lil nuts on my head.

If I had longer hair, they'd be cinnamon buns, or ballet buns, but since my hair is only a bit longer than my shoulder (only a smidge), they're tiny. But I know they're going to get better.

I only take them down to rinse them, then I put my shea butter mix, and roll them back up. I think this is going to be my protective style for the summer time, since it's so quick and easy, and I can really just finger detangle and put it back up.

I'll put up a picture as soon as I take one.

Now let's keep the ball rolling ^_^
    I would like to say thank you to whomever it was out there that PANKED me! You're a true blessing

Search for a kingdom worthy of your soul

http://public.fotki.com/KreativeKoils/current-styles/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to have some serious detangling. I wore a big puff for a couple days. I liked how it turned out. I've got Monday off, so I might wash tonight. I'm going to use my happy, special mud wash.

This week, I was in a super rush and I didn't have time for all the squirt bottles. So I just squirted a lot of my OCM mix into my hair and scalp. It was a good quick fix.

Detangling my 2 or 3 day old puff wasn't so bad because my hair was so oily. I sprayed with a waterbottle, finger parted, finger detangled and used my tangle teaser on the ends to get the shed hair. Not many splits or knots in the shed hair. From puff to 14 fat twists in about 45 minutes. (Two episodes of Thundercats w/o commercials.)
    Last edited by fuzzy_slippers; 03-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I know that puff was probably incredibly beautiful. But the curse of the puff is the detangling. Your mud wash looked amazing. I've seen quite a bit about mud washes. Do they really clean on that level? Sorry to sound silly, but what exactly is in your OCM, I'm not sure what it stands for :P

Ah. Would it have been worse if it was a few more days. It's good to have oily hair. I'm starting to try that. Wow, 45 minutes, that sounds good.

I think I'm going to keep my two lil minibuns the entire summer. I'm going to rinse my hair today in the shower, and because I detangled with my Denman when I initially did them, I'm just going to finger comb the shed hair out, slap some heavy shea mixture on, and my oils.

BTW, how did you get your pictures on the thread so lovely in the first part. It was so... official
    I would like to say thank you to whomever it was out there that PANKED me! You're a true blessing

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem!

OCM: The Oil Cleansing Method. I'm also experimenting with my skin care. I've got to put some pics in that thread, too. I'm using a mix of almond oil and castor oil (about 2:1, kinda eyeballing it) to clean my face. I got in a rush and used it on my scalp. The first time was when I forgot my shampoo and conditioner recipes when I went to the gym. I poured a bunch of the oil onto my scalp, right in the parts, and just rubbed it with my fingertips. Kind of like shampooing, but with oil instead of water. Then I washed my hair (and face) with really warm water in the shower. I could feel most of the oil wash off. It was ok that it got on my body because I'm using regular soap to shower with. Then because my hair was already wet and a bit oily, I didn't need a conditioner. I could get right to squeezing the excess water out, a bit of detangling and styling it. The next day, I tried another water only rinse after the gym and I could could still style my loose hair. Third day was the limit. I needed more oil.

Mud Wash: I've only done it a couple times since I've made it, but so far I love it. It gets my hair really clean. Like a spa treatment on my scalp. I (try to) workout 4 times a week, so I have to at least rinse the sweat off. Since I'm in the military, I workout with my platoon in the morning before coming into the office. My big concern is time: getting clean, dressed and breakfast before I have to get back to work. I've got about an hour. Most of the shampoo I've ever used was regular store bought stuff that gets a really great lather. Great for getting my hair clean fast, but I get a bit slowed down with conditioner and detangling after. I've read and seen on some sites and books that bubbly shampoo isn't good for our hair. Like the bubbles separate all the little curly clump families and then they don't get back together right when you rinse. That it makes for dry, tangly hair and disappointing wash-n-gos. And that's why people like conditioner only washing or no-sulfate shampoos, like Miss Jessie's. But! Since I'm doing this so often, a week of co washing and non-sulfate shampoo gets my hair feeling limp. Same thing goes for homemade shampoos: bubbly stuff like Dr. Bronner's recipies get my hair really dry; slippery stuff like the coconut milk shampoo I made make my hair really limp. All these different kinds of washing work out fine if my hair is cornrowed or in braids with extensions. But I want loose hair this summer, so I need to be able to get it mostly dry and in a style (off my collar and under my hat) before I get out the door. The mud wash seemed to suck up all the oil without getting bubbly, making my hair dry or limp. Then I just put new oil on my hair and scalp, rinsed, styled and all that.

So far, so good. But I'm still kind of experimenting. Just because I had some good results this week, I might be in a Honeymoon Phase. I have to do this for awhile so I can be more objective.

Pics and Code: To get the pics to line up side by side all neat, it helps if the pics aren't huge and are the same size. That turned out because I used the camera on the same settings for both pics before uploading them. If not, they'll still turn out as long as there's enough room on the screen.

Use this code for adding images: {img}http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/7607...on-dance-o.gif{/img} except use [ square brackets ] instead of { curly brackets } so you get this

If you put two of those code lines together with one space in between, you get side by side pics.

{img}http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/7607...on-dance-o.gif{/img} {img}http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/7607...on-dance-o.gif{/img}

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by fuzzy_slippers; 03-18-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: had to fix the code ha!

5. Thanks KreativeKoils thanked for this post
    Likes KreativeKoils liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing! People ask me this a lot on forums.

Making words into links!

So you can put a link like just copy it from somewhere and paste it in the reply box. Like: http://www.Nappturality.com or http://www.notalwaysright.com And it becomes a link.

Sometimes, if the link is kind of long, the site will shorten it for you with ellipses, but it still turns out. Like: http://mansplained.tumblr.com/post/3...n-myself-to-me

But if you use the code like {url="nappturality.com"}Nappturality or Whatever Words You Want{/url} and remember [ ] not { } don't forget quotation marks " "

then you can put the name of the site or whatever words you want as the link. So you can be like

I want to tell you about NP and Not Always Right and Mansplained but I don't want the flow of what you're reading to be disturbed by code and addresses so you can get to what I really want to say. Either that or I'm just a smarty-pants showoff.

7. Likes KreativeKoils, skittles04 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a godsend! Now I think I'll be able to put up pics of my minibuns (for those folks that don't look at my fotki). They might look a bit down, but that's because I'm actually about to cowash my hair and redo them. ARGH! Fotki isn't allowing me to use the method, so I'm just going to do the NP way. I actually like them to be imperfect, and it doesn't phase me since I don't use gel anyway

From the back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoon20130319at20_162-vi.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	9468

From the top:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 2013-03-19 at 20.16.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	9470
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KreativeKoils; 03-20-2013 at 12:44 AM.

9. Likes fuzzy_slippers, Cerendipity liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey @KreativeKoils! That's basically the same PS I'm doing this week lol except mine are a bit high up

Yours look absolutely lovely though and it's definitely a great + simple style to wear

When you take them down, how do you make detangling easier? Do you detangle or stretch your hair before putting it in minibuns?
    Also, how do you keep them moisturized? By the end of the day, mine feel like they need some hydration Asap
    Last edited by trueimage15; 03-20-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: to ask some questions

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Making Hyperlinks....You could also highlight the word after you type it, hit the link icon and paste your link there. The board does the rest.

It's always good to know how to do it without the crutches, though.

12. Thanks fuzzy_slippers, KreativeKoils thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@kreativekoils: I really like that style. Your hair looks so crimped.

@skittles04: Thanks for the icons tip! I'm always doing things the hardheaded way.

My head hurts today. Or my hair hurts. Right at my temples. I get scalp aches sometimes. I braided my hair really loosely today, but it still came. I don't think I drank enough water.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, TrueImage15!

Well, when I took mine down, I hadn't moisturized as well as I should have, so they kind of felt like giant locs. But I made sure it was completely saturated with water, and then I put some of my Aussie Moist, and just pulled out the shed hairs. It was still detangled, so I just pulled out as many as possible, and ran my fingers through the sections carefully.

I don't think I've mastered moisturizing quite yet, because mine are dry. I'm thinking I might have to take them down, and spritz and put some of an oil mixture and put them back up. I really, really saturate with my shea butter mix, so they don't seem to need any moisture for me until the second day.

HTHs

15. Likes hivierhair liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast