Thread: Oil Pulling

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did it because I'm curious.... And when I went to check my gums there were little pus looking things on my gums O_O....

I'm going to keep at it... I used coconut oil
    Just want to say thank you to my fairy PANKGodmother for making me PANK!Time to update my ignore list

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the ladies that have oil pulled consistantly what changes (other than whiter teeth) have you noticed? I keep starting and stopping . I'm hoping to be inspired to try again.

BTW...Sams Club now sells Coconut Oil.
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Re: Oil Pulling

Looks like I missed that thread, which is now a 404 relic, and the other ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by jorjeni View Post
    I see the old thread is closed. I started doing this 2-3 weeks ago. I have been really into Ayurveda since learning about it in one of my classes in school. The first week I started the oil pulling my mouth broke out in a rash! It is now healed. I love how my breath smell fresh and my teeth and mouth feel so clean! It has also got me in the habit of flossing. Anyone else still doing this? http://www.nappturality.com/forum/sh...18-Oil-Pulling
    I'm obsessive about not ever having to go to the dentist for anything more than checkups and cleanings twice yearly. I've had a few cavities in the past, and that's just not fun.

Unfortunately, in the last half of 2017, my life was a dumpster fire. My well-paid contract at a great company ended: the white girls came for me and won. I also broke up with my long-time boyfriend. Because the cost of living is so crazy here in the Bay Area, I agreed with him continuing to live with me. (It's a two bedroom, so there is plenty of room, and, as I was looking for a new job, having him cover his portion of the rent and pay back a loan I'd made to him was perfect.) He was also dealing with stress from his parents getting a divorce and slowly started breaking down but not getting any sort of professional help: just conflict. It was pretty much a lot of verbal abuse by the time it was over and that was the reason I dumped him in the first place. Things escalated to the point that I needed to flee my home and file a restraining order against him. Needless to say, 2017 was one of the hardest years I've had since dealing with the death of my parents. What kept me going was I knew if I could get through that hard time years ago, so I'd get through this.

Anyway, that meant some things went neglected. I went from 3 to 4 workouts a week to 0 to 1. I was so distracted that I started neglecting my oral hygiene. Last week I get a reminder that I have a dentist visit coming up and thought "oh, I've not flossed in a while, let me do that." My gums bled and were really tender, which is just confirmation that I've been doing less than the bare minimum: brushing and running out of the door or brushing in the gym, but not flossing.

I've also started drinking kombucha, which is great for helping me maintain a good balance of good bacteria. The problem with kombucha is it's highly acidic. In addition to bleeding gums, I noticed my teeth were REALLY sensitive, and I almost never have issues with sensitive teeth. Then I realized, duh, the acid in the kombucha was probably wearing down my tooth enamel. (So I'm doing some adjustments on how and when I drink that stuff.)

I knew I had to spring into action getting back to daily interdental cleaning. I go a little crazy and prefer interdental brushes to floss, but I keep floss around on the days where I need to move fast. Once I started that, things immediately felt better and had less bleeding, but my gums were really tender and my teeth were really sensitive to temperature. I'm drinking lots of hot tea this winter to ward off colds, so I noticed right away.

Then I remembered reading info on oil pulling and dug into the info. I even found an old article I shared on Facebook regarding oil pulling. I'd tried it before with sesame oil, but that didn't stick. Then I read about the benefits of oil pulling with coconut oil. The articles I've read say that coconut oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, and oil pulling has gotten so much attention that there are now some studies out there confirming the benefits for oral care. I think it remains to be seen with the other stuff, but it's common knowledge that healthy mouth affects the rest of your body.

I decided to double down and get some cold pressed organic coconut oil. Swishing with coconut oil has been a Godsend. It's actually really soothing my healing gums. Right now, I'm being aggressive and swishing twice a day just so things calm down. Then I'll probably roll it back to 3 to 4 times a week. I'm also rinsing now with a xylitol rinse to help remineralize my teeth. I'm glad I caught this stuff before any visible damage started. My smile is one of my positive features.

I'm so glad I go to the dentist twice a year and got that reminder card. It was the kick in the butt I needed.

I'll report back in in a few weeks/months. I think oil pulling with coconut oil is the way to go for me.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234