Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Will he have the "GRADES" of hair in it too for different products? Eg:

For Naturals with 3b we have the Good Hair Butter spritz cuz you don't need much
    For Naturals with 4a we have the Curl Def Cream so you can use half a jar to look more like a 3b.
    For Naturals with 4b we have the Afro Dampener cuz let's face it, that's the best we can do with yours.

:/

~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Will he have the "GRADES" of hair in it too for different products? Eg:

For Naturals with 3b we have the Good Hair Butter spritz cuz you don't need much
    For Naturals with 4a we have the Curl Def Cream so you can use half a jar to look more like a 3b.
    For Naturals with 4b we have the Afro Dampener cuz let's face it, that's the best we can do with yours.

:/

FALLS OWT

Step on ovah me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

3. Likes hivierhair, Bithiya, thicktresses, frau liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahaa. Great.

All eye rolls aside, I wonder what the legitimacy of his products will be, though? As a hater of the natural hair, has he actually studied it and what it needs? He's clearly out to make a buck, but I really wonder if it will be a quality product or if he's just basically going to slap a "natural" label on the ish he uses for his higher-being-straight-haired clients.

and lol at "make peace with their natural hair." He is on one. SHAMELESS.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Behind the scenes and a preview of the photoshoot. Juicy needs to find and updated shot of André Walker.

As for me: Meh. I already found my producst and have no desire to try anything new. I never was upset by the typing system, to me it was merely a descriptor, I just found it flawed and useless.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

6. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Likes Mikalia42, MommieDearest, Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    I never was upset by the typing system, to me it was merely a descriptor, I just found it flawed and useless.
    Agreed. I just think it doesn't work (for example I'm hella multi-textured), and I do t see other groups "grading" their hair so why do we need to do so?

What irks me is somewhere in my beauty-biz archive I have a quote from Andre saying "type 4 hair" ***NEEDS*** to be processed in some way in order to be manageable. So that's not the person I would pick as the Natural Messiah to lead black women to the Acceptance Promised Land.

This is a gauche money-grab and nothing more.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

8. Thanks Bithiya, Kurliez thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post

I've been participating in online natural hair discussions since late 1999...as far as I can recall Andre Walker's chart was adopted by the fledgling natural hair community as a guide. Like the vast majority of hairstylists -- many of whom are only just now realizing how big the online community has grown -- Andre had NO CLUE that his text was, for better or worse, a foundational text.

Over the years I've always wondered why Andre never commented on the use of his chart by the online community...it's been AT LEAST 14 YEARS since folks have been using the Andre chart. In that time the only things I've ever heard him say about my type of natural hair -- what apparently is still considered "4b" despite the new addition of "4c" by the online community -- are exactly the things I'd expect an old-school hairstylist to say, namely that it needs to be straightened or loosened in order to be manageable...but can you imagine what could have happened if he'd taken us seriously 10 years ago? given the user capital that he basically got FOR FREE when his chart was adopted?... A lot of women who never even read his book use his terms and that has EVERYTHING to do with the online community...

Just like everybody else who's finally realized that they need to do something about their dropping profits in an age where more and more black women refuse to fall for the okey-doke, he's just jumping on the bandwagon. Econ 101...I totally get it. However, I am not his targeted customer.
    IMHO, therein lies the real problem with this situation. Why is it that so often, when we get someone in a position of real influence, that influence is not used to promulgate the interests of our people?

Nobody, from any racial/ethnic group, would have faulted Mr Andre Walker for giving frank statements on how African hair needs to be treated in order to stay healthy.
    Years ago, I watched his most famous client, Ms Oprah Winfrey herself, talk about the loss of her thick mane to relaxer breakage, after she succumbed to pressure from a supervisor, to 'tame' it/make it 'not so big'. On that episode, she was very open and honest with the public in saying that chemical relaxers are bad for Black hair, that she'd never go back to them; and she had her cameras pan the part of the studio where she is groomed right before each show.
    Yet - she is a layperson in this field, and he is an 'expert'. If he had stood up for us, his word would have been taken. Instead, he gave us [and the other races] an oversimplified classification system, which does not offer a completely accurate portrayal of any race's hair type spectrum [trust me on this - I'm writing from one of the USA's immigration centers ].
    I am sure there are people of all races who are wondering why he did not use his position to stand up for us - to "represent". Quite a few may even be laughing their heads off.

So to me, this is the real question:
    Why, so often, when we "get somebody up there", do they act so disconnected, like they don't have anything to do with us, like they're just spinning in their own orbit, and owe us nothing?
    Last edited by Bithiya; 03-31-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Paragraph 2: Improved spacing; added words.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of that problem Bithya (and I may end up rambling) is the "I got mine, f*** all ya'll" or better known as "token" mentality and it's prevalent among a lot of African diasporans who get "up there" (I work corporate, I see it all the time). They've decided that any association or support of their peers will negate their status in the echelon they worked oh-so-hard to get into, so they don't. Or if they do decide to associate, it's in a manner that's purely self-serving and self-vindicating. If anyone asks them for help, it's a "freebie", they're "parasites", they don't want to work (sound familiar?), etc. But if they give the help--and profit from it somehow--they want everyone to turn around and kiss their a$$ because they think they're doing the rest of us a favor. Which is precisely what's going on with Walker (in my honest opinion). He put his foot in his mouth and he knew it, so now he's "doing us a favor" but "helping" us "make peace" with our hair by creating a product line that probably won't be any better than Motions, Curls Unleashed, or any other company that sells relaxers who suddenly decided to cash in on a niche (albeit a profitiable one). Disingenuous? Absolutely. Does he care that it's disingenuous? Not by a long shot.

Another undercurrent I picked up from his "intention" to help us "make peace" with our hair is that he's not targeting women who've already made peace/had peace/accepted our hair in its entirety. We're not even on his radar because he knows we don't need him, his chart, or his products. He's targeting the women who still hate their hair texture. In particular, the newest of the new to natural hair as a whole, who are scared to death of having "that really kinky stuff" and want that "soft curly hair" i.e. Taren, MahoganyCurls, BeautifulBrownBabyDoll, etc. These women in particular are going to line up for this product because they are the ones who have yet and cannot "make peace" with their hair enough to learn to work with it rather than against it. It's like taking your dog to the Dog Whisperer because you're scared to death of your dog and want it to be taught to do everything so that you don't have to train it yourself. No good comes of that but a lot of disappointment and wasted dollars. (And a pet you can't be bothered to learn to manage.)

Or maybe I'm just undercaffeinated (again), rambling, and semi-aggro due to matters unrelated to this thread and Walker's f***ery is just the cherry on top to a rough morning. Excuse me while I coffee up.
    Last edited by Mikalia42; 03-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post
    Another undercurrent I picked up from his "intention" to help us "make peace" with our hair is that he's not targeting women who've already made peace/had peace/accepted our hair in its entirety. We're not even on his radar because he knows we don't need him, his chart, or his products. He's targeting the women who still hate their hair texture. In particular, the newest of the new to natural hair as a whole, who are scared to death of having "that really kinky stuff" and want that "soft curly hair" i.e. Taren, MahoganyCurls, BeautifulBrownBabyDoll, etc. These women in particular are going to line up for this product because they are the ones who have yet and cannot "make peace" with their hair enough to learn to work with it rather than against it.
    I'm glad you said this, because I'm also thinking that this is a ploy to sucker in those consumers who believe that going natural isn't socially proper unless one has "nice"/"soft" hair -
    that it is not presentable to do it if one's hair is "really nappy"/"hard"/"coarse"; and yet want in on all the fun.
    Someone entered a post on Nappturality within the past few months, saying that sooner or later, there will be a perm put out there to mimic Napptural hair, that people will use it and claim it's natural.
    I was thinking the same thing. Looks like it has arrived.

12. Likes thicktresses liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bithiya View Post
    I'm glad you said this, because I'm also thinking that this is a ploy to sucker in those consumers who believe that going natural isn't socially proper unless one has "nice"/"soft" hair -
    that it is not presentable to do it if one's hair is "really nappy"/"hard"/"coarse"; and yet want in on all the fun.
    Someone entered a post on Nappturality within the past few months, saying that sooner or later, there will be a perm put out there to mimic Napptural hair, that people will use it and claim it's natural.
    I was thinking the same thing. Looks like it has arrived.
    The bolded is quite oxymoronic (no shade to you Bithiya).... and haven't we already seen such a thing?

14. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my goodness,I find it hilarious that anyone is upset....smh...pot calling the kettle black...It seems the consensus most times is that natural hair means NOTHING...I been natural since about 1979 and dreaded since1985...when people was natural FOR A REASON, because they were pro-black,or religious or political...for many reasons...always interesting and active reasons. Then here come err-body,and it became bout how many mayo and clam purees you could slather in your hair...or how long your curly cue could be pulled down your back or how many youtube videos you could make and it became less about being better moms, more religious people, more politically active or creative.

Let the man make his money, ain't that what everybody else doing (jumps off soap box and lights a cigarette)
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast