Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coconut Milk Instead of Coconut Oil

So as much as I read about the wonderfulness of coconut oil and how it penetrates the hair shaft and leaves hair shiny and soft and great even after a shampoo but I also hear that with locs it's not really so good to use coconut oil because it can lead to backup and I'm not wanting to take the risk right now.

Since coconut milk is liquid regardless of temperature would it be a better option to use on locs? Does it have the same benefits as coconut oil?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm just thinking a lot and trying to get my warmer weather hair care/hair growth game together.
    Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used against you.

2. Thanks cocoa23 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are good for your hair so whatever you choose to do will be fine. I mix both and use as the mix as a prepoo once a week and I don't have a build up problem and I haven't dusted off my SLS shampoo bottle in months.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

4. Thanks SilverLotusGirl, ~GAN~ thanked for this post
    Likes SilverLotusGirl liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Karibana. I think I'll try mixing the two or seeing how they mix with mayo.
    Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used against you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you use coconut milk after shampooing, as a conditioner?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried George's AVJ? It's a great moisturizing conditioner without concern of spoiling...I would have concern with coconut milk spoiling in my locks, resulting in an environment for mildew to grow.

This AVJ can be left at room temp and has natural preservatives..so you can get the benefits without concern of spoilage. hth!

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.I'm still learning so forgive if this is like Johnny Come Lately.I have learned that with locs oils can be over used.Peeps think that oil provides moisture but it does not.You must put moisture into your locks and to make it last you should seal with Oil. The coconut oil is good for locks and I am told it will not build up but you have to experiment because everything does not work the same for everyone.One thing about the conut oil is that if you don't like it you can always use it for cooking.That's what I cook with.I washed my hair today.I used A leave in conditioner by Ion and sprayed with water,green tea with glycerin and sealed with Argan oil because a friend gave it to me.(smile) I use the spray almost daily because in the beginning of my journey I lost three locks due to dryness.I started out misinformed by being told not to add moisture to my locs until being told I was officially loced.Wrong SL advice.They teach that your natural oils will keep your locks moist.I would be bald if I had kept that going.Anyhoo,vegetable glycerin is suppose to act as a humectant and help pull moisture into your hair.Be careful when using oil to seal.If you use too much the other moisturizing products won't be able to penetrate into your locks.Less is more until you and your locs are in agreement as to the effective amount.Hope this helps someone and disregard if your original ? was about coconut milk and not coconut oil.(LOL)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot has to do with trial and error no doubt. I finally got it where less is truly more for my locks. I was using too much oils and eventually it has taken its toll on my locks, to the point I had to cut them. Now, I just use coconut oil every three days after I shampoo and it is working out very well. My locks are healthier looking, no build up and they are not crispy either. Most of all drinking plenty of water does not hurt any as well. :-)
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use coconut oil to seal in moisture from putting water on my hair whether that be via washing, rinsing, or just spritzing with a spray bottle. I don't do it everyday but whenever my hair tells me it needs some added moisture. I used to use olive oil but found that to be too heavy for me.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone.I read the other day that coconut oil does not seal as well as some of the other oils.That it does not last like the others.If it works for you fine but they do make lite Olive Oil if you care to try it.There are three oils not recommended for sealing .I trusted my brain and thought I would remenber but I don't.I will update in the future though.Happy Nappy hair day!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting..I find CO way too heavy. In fact, at the right temp, it solidifies...in my hair. So...I just can't do it since I'm in Snow-Hio where's it's mostly cold throughout the year. I'll use jojoba/olive/castor oil in most of my combinations, infused with an EO.