jazzypom Guest

Default a recipe for hair gel

6 tbs flaxseed
    2 cups of water
    1/2 cup hibiscus flowers
    1/2 lemon (quartered)

boil water. Add hibiscus flowers. Let steep for an hour
    With same water, boil lemon and flaxseed until thicken,
    strain through with cloth, into container. Add preservative and e.o. before it sets and cools

can use in twisties.

will post the other one.

sugarNfeist Guest

good recipe. Is there a reason why you used hibiscus flowers or is it just your flower of choice? One more question, how thick does this gel come out cause only something heavy is gonna work on my head, I'm sure there is a way to thicken it though.

jazzypom Guest

the gel comes out real thick - the more you boil the flaxseed, the thicker it gets. I am trying to find an old recipe that jessycurl posted on the nc.com board.

that recipe was interesting, b/c it also used magnesium salts which are supposed to give hold to the hair. I have tried that one which was good, it was similar to the one above, but with a bit more ingredients, and no hibsicus flowers.

from what i understand about hibsicus, it is used in aveyurdic (sp?) medicene for rejunivinating skin and scalp.

you could add aloe to the recipe for a little more hold. I am just reading the contents to the aveda humectanct pomade, and aloe, kelp and flaxseed are the first three ingredients, along with cocounut and castor oil.

Excuse me, i feel a recipe coming on... :wink:

silvi Guest

thanks for the recipe, but i have a couple of questions

:?: what type of preservative and how much would you use, also where do you get hibsicus flowers :?:

thanks

Autumn Guest

jazzypom have you tried it on your hair yet? are you still just mixing it up, let us know the results

A

jazzypom Guest

right.
    i made a gel similiar to this last year. I used vit E as a preservative last time, but this time i am using grapefruit seed extract. From what i have read and researched, it guareentees at least three months of freedom from the mold.

the gel i made last year was basically flaxseed with lemon rind and magnesium salts. It was good, crunch proof and really heavy and thick *but * i had no preservative, so i had to keep it in the fridge.

sooo... wish me luck with the second batch

Hibsicus tea can be bought in any good health or asian stores.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very late getting this recipe but I will be making this over the weekend.

ziyiazi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would the lemon juice dry out hair?