Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who here is not a fan of using conditioner?

I decided to experiment for two months on not using traditional hair conditioner. After I shampoo my hair with a soap bar and use a tea rinse, I "condition" my hair with either a hot oil treatment (grape seed oil heated) or just let castor w/avocado oils stay on my hair for an hour and then rinse my hair completely clean. I either wash my hair every week or every other week, just depends if I'm in the mood to do my hair.

The only real differences I noticed are that my hair actually stays moisturized for days and it feels really soft for days as well. I remember when I used natural or commercial conditioner, my hair would only stay moist for a day or two and I had to re-wet my hair. Now, I could go on for four or five days without wetting my hair. Also, I don't need to put much oil (I didn't put any in last weekend) on my hair while detangling and styling after washing my hair.

I just find this interesting and it tickles me. I guess traditional conditioner is redundant for me. Anyone else not a fan of conditioner? Honestly, if my lazy-behind-super-low-key-stuck-up hair is fine without conditioner and not buying it saves me a few bucks a month, more power to my semi-saving/simple living self
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

2. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think my hair would lock up after shampooing if i didn't put conditioner in it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must use conditioner, or my hair would dry up and break off and be completely unmanageable! But I do have a question:

Do you dc everytime you wash, or do you sometimes just use a leave in?

Today I feel lazy and I just washed my hair. I don't want to dc...I just want to spray a leave-in inabd just keep it moving!
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love using conditioners; I love what they do for my hair.

I could detangle with evoo/aloe vera gel, but condish is preferable.

If I washed my hair in plaits, I could do an acv rinse and be ok. (That's if I use shampoo or baking soda).

But I co-wash...so yeah. Matter fact, I've been using shampoo more than I normally do, so I'm going to try to use more condish
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I buy a bottle of condish I feel like I'm wasting money. And I used to LOVE the whole conditioner process: buying them, the smells, the package, finding that awesome slip . But now that I discovered that I can make amazing DC's with bananas, eggs, molasses, and coconut oil, I just can't spend the money on "all natural" products, and I buy cheap condishes because they're cheap but the ingredients usually suck.

OP, I'm not a fan of condishes anymore either. But after 5 years straight of living off of conditioners, it's a hard habit to break . Also, what tea do you use for your rinses? I've been playing with teas and haven't had much luck so far.
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

7. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co-wash and don't really use conditioners to condition. I twist my hair while it's wet with castor oil and do a Aphogee protein treatment every six week (although I've been inconsistent with that for the last few months.)

So I've basically given up conditioners too as a way to moisturize my hair. I use cheap ones to detangle and shampoo.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

9. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurliez

I haven't used conditioner in probably five years or so. It's a waste of money and a wasted step. After cleansing, I go right to my moisturizer. My hair has no complaints.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

11. Thanks AfroIsland, hivierhair, Jazzy14 thanked for this post
    Likes AfroIsland, Kurliez, Jazzy14 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monappy28 View Post
    But I do have a question:

Do you dc everytime you wash, or do you sometimes just use a leave in?
    I think I DC every wash day since I haven't tried just leaving the oil in after I shampoo. I might try skipping the hot oil treatment, go straight to a tea rinse, and then use bit of oil before detangling & styling. If I do decide to use a leave in next time, it has to be just grape seed oil.
    Since I've been finger detangling before using a seamless comb and lightly trimming my ends, detangling and styling my hair is a really smooth process for me

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    Every time I buy a bottle of condish I feel like I'm wasting money. And I used to LOVE the whole conditioner process: buying them, the smells, the package, finding that awesome slip I did too! lol . But now that I discovered that I can make amazing DC's with bananas, eggs, molasses, and coconut oil, I just can't spend the money on "all natural" products, and I buy cheap condishes because they're cheap but the ingredients usually suck. ITA

OP, I'm not a fan of condishes anymore either. But after 5 years straight of living off of conditioners, it's a hard habit to break . Also, what tea do you use for your rinses? I've been playing with teas and haven't had much luck so far.
    I use spearmint tea. I also use peppermint tea if I run out of or can't find spearmint tea. Both are caffeine free, don't change my hair color, and the smell is very light and lovely. The smell goes away after a short while if you're not a fan of mints.
    Last edited by Kurliez; 04-06-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Rewording

13. Thanks AfroIsland, hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kurliez

You have me wanting to try it too Kurliez! Especially the refreshing tea rinses
    Thank you to whoever panked me!!

15. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: This evening, I decided to shampoo, rinse, then put on oil as a leave-in. I know I stated before that I would only use grape seed oil, but I decided to mix a little tiny bit of castor oil and avocado oil. I guess I'm still use to having my hair feeling a bit coated/weighted down, and that's how my hair usually feels after I wash out my oil conditioning treatments. My hair did very well with detangling and styling. It took me about two hours to completely do my hair: Poo, rinse, oil as leave in, detangle, small twists. I saved about an hour or so from my usual wash routine. Nice

I must state that I always wash my hair in either plaits/braids or twists to avoid tangles/matting. While styling, I comb and twist my hair in small sections at a time.

Next week, I'm doing an egg treatment. In two weeks, I'll go back to trying out skipping the oil conditioning and just use oil as a leave-in and see how my hair reacts. I'm tempted on the next time around to heat the oil ever so slightly before using it as a leave-in. Old habits are hard to get rid off

17. Likes AfroIsland liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast