Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diva Cup Part 5: We're still cupping!

Carrying on ladies

http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/06/13/...nge-your-life/

10 Reasons the Diva Cup Can Change Your Life

By Kerry | Health & Fitness | 213 Comments

I’m going there people. I’m going where the ocean ebbs and the moon wanes. I’m going where the crimson wave has little to do with surfing and where the cotton pony has nothing to do with ranch life. Yes people, I’m going there. I’ve decided to rag on so called “feminine hygiene” products.
    I’ve never been comfortable with the cost or environmental waste associated with tampons, pads, and other menstrual gear listed under the banner of “feminine hygiene”. I’ve always felt cramped when dishing out big bucks for a wad of cotton on a string and I’m grumpy with the garbage created. To me, it’s just bad financial cents to bleed my bank account and rot the earth when there’s a much better way.
    Last month I finally listened to a good friend of mine and tried something called the Diva Cup. The Diva Cup is a brand name for a menstrual cup, which is a reusable bell-shaped plastic device developed to collect and contain menstrual flow inside the body.
    I was honestly skeptical at first. The initial idea of putting some plastic bell thing “up there” was a little off putting. But I’m sooo over it. The Diva Cup is the most amazing, useful, wonderful girly product ever. Since I want you to “have a happy period,” I’ll get over all silly shyness and share my thoughts with you.
    10 reasons the Diva Cup can change your life:
    1. Cost.

A menstrual cup like the Diva Cup costs about $25 and can be used for a year. The company behind the Diva Cup, Diva International, suggests cups should be replaced annually and kept very clean. Seriously, $25 bucks for a reusable device is not a heck of a lot when you consider the cost of disposables over the year.
    To Buy a Diva Cup:

I’ve done the math ladies. The amount of money we spend over our lives on disposable pads and tampons is mind boggling. If I roughly guesstimate a woman’s fertile life ranges from age 13-48 (seems like a good average to me), that’s 35 years!
    Now for the very very rough mathy math:

• Tampon Pack: $5
    • Pad Pack: $5
    • Monthly Cost: $10
    • Yearly Cost: $120

Lifetime 35-year cost: $4200
    (This number does not account for inflation or taxes either!)
    Basically, we’re making the companies behind Always and Tampax rich. Especially when you consider about 50 percent of the population needs this stuff. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather save thousands of bucks by buying a couple of Diva Cups over my lifetime. That’s just good financial sense. Period.
    2. Environment.

I cringe to think how many pads are put into landfills each day. It’s sad actually. Most women use about 18 pads and/or tampons per cycle. By using menstrual cup products like the Diva Cup though, all this landfill waste can easily be avoided.
    3. Health.

I’ve discovered a few health benefits since using the Diva Cup. Seriously.

• No harmful substances. Pads and tampons can contain bleaches, absorbing chemicals, perfumes, and other irritants or allergens. The Diva Cup is made of medical grade silicone which cannot be broken down or absorbed into the body.
    • No Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS).Tampons have been shown to have a connection to TSS, a rare but sometimes fatal disease caused by bacterial infection. No such connection exists with the Diva Cup since cups do not function though absorbency.
    • “Down There” Health. Upon removal, tampons can scratch and leave tiny thread fragments. Pads can cause rashes. The natural balance “down there” is not compromised through the Diva Cup.

4. Guys, no more drug store trips!

I haven’t forgotten about the fellows. I know many of you have made a fateful trip to the drug store looking for the “exact” brand and product your female friend needs. I’ve seen you in “that” aisle carrying an empty package of the stuff your gal has unfortunately run out of. Matching up and finding the right stuff is daunting, and nearly impossible considering how often pad and tampon companies change their packaging. But you fellows brave the checkout and bashfully buy the brands. Fellows, these blushful trips can end. The day your gal gets a Diva Cup is the day those drug store trips are finished. Kudos.
    5. Sports.

Participating in sports can be a drag when it’s that time. Being in the middle of a game when you need to pull the goalie is not an ideal match. Skip searching your duffel for a relief player with the Diva Cup since cups can be kept in play for 8-12 hours. When a cup is placed correctly, it does not leak and cannot be detected. Feel free to swim lots of laps, ride a bike, or run a marathon. It won’t win any races for you, but you’ll make it to the finish line without fail.
    6. Sleep.

No more midnight bathroom trips. No more sleeping on towels. No more doubling-up. The Diva Cup can be worn all night long, unlike a tampon. Sleep soundly for 8-12 hours. I dare you.
    7. Freedom.

Stop stuffing your purse full of tampons and pads. Carrying stashes of girlie stuff is a thing of the past. With the Diva Cup, your period worries are no longer woes. Go to school or work and forget about it. No more bathroom trips till you get home hours later. You are free.
    8. Less cramps?

I have no scientific proof. But I seriously think the Diva Cup lessens cramps and quells pain. Since I have a history of fainting from crippling painful cramps, I am the first to wonder how a cup can contain this condition. But I think it does. Again, I have no scientific proof.
    9. Comfort.

You don’t feel a thing. No mess, no fuss, no problem. It doesn’t matter how heavy or light your flow, one cup covers all stages in a cycle. Yay.
    10. International.

I’ve mostly mentioned the Diva Cup brand since it’s available in North America, and that’s where I live. Other menstrual cup brands are available around the world, so I’ve summarized them below:

• DivaCup (Canada, USA)
    • Mooncup (United Kingdom)
    • Keeper (USA)
    • Moon Cup (USA)
    • LadyCup (Czech Republic)
    • Lunette (Finland)
    • Miacup (South Africa)
    • Femmecup (Far East)

I went there people. I went where cutesy advertising campaigns tell me to “Have a Happy Period,” and annoy me. I went there and provided a real solution to environmental concerns and cost considerations. I went there. I went there ’cause I want you to go there too. Would you consider it?
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

2. Likes Mojito Chica, fitzlocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.cottontailbaby.com/pages/...cloth-pads.htm

Why choose cloth menstrual pads?

• Environmentally Friendly - Each pad will last you for years. Plastic pads take decades to break down and may contain harmful chemicals
    • Easier on your pocket book - Disposable pads can cost about $7 per month and a woman will menstruate 340 times in her life. That can add up quickly. Although the initial investment in cloth pads may be more, the savings is substantial.
    • Practical - You will never have to run to the grocery store just to buy pads. A clean pad is available even in the middle of the night!
    • Comfort - Even if you're a life long tampon fan, you will find cloth pads easier to deal with and far more comfortable than you ever thought possible. Menstruation can be an uncomfortable time for some of us, but the comfort of cloth pads can make this time a little easier.
    • Change your attitude - An unexpected benefit! Some women find that switching to cloth gives them a more positive attitude about their bodies and themselves.

Sea Pearls Sea Sponge Tampons

sponge sizes

Teeny: for light days or young women new to menstruation
    Regular: for normal to heavy days
    Large: for very heavy days

http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

4. Thanks Ororo, Queencece thanked for this post
    Likes Mojito Chica, fitzlocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still luv my diva cup. I tried the sponges and cloth pads when I was younger. There weren't bad. I just like the convenience of the cup.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

6. Likes Kurliez, Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today, I bought two lady cups. I got this brand really Bc of the colors. I also wanted to be able to keep track of which one I was using. I'm excited.

8. Likes Ororo, Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Do you also have a Diva Cup? I'll be getting the Meluna sport at some point. I think I'll have a collection of these one day . My divacup is also 1 year 2 months old now. According to the divacup site, I should buy a new one. Why throw out a perfectly good cup? FDA regulations or something? Apparently, they used to recommend a change after 10 years. I definitely need another one as a backup at least.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, this will be my first cup. I bought two though. A backup for changes in public. I got this brand Bc of the softness and color. My doctor recommended I try a cup Bc my medications and the pad chemicals are causing skin breakage down yonder.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tmi for some -
    another benefit of the diva cup i know for some ladies
    is that it traps the smell -
    with pads, since the fluid flows externally to a paper cloth, the smell is diffused.
    whereas with a cup/tampon its internal.
    from the dc website:
    "Menstrual flow only begins to develop an odor when it is exposed to air. As The DivaCup is worn internally, your days of worrying about period odor are over. Menstrual fluid on tampons and pads is exposed to air which creates odor throughout the day. For the first time, The DivaCup will leave you feeling fresh and confident the entire day!"

i am still getting the hang of my cup. i still have accidents so i have to wear light pad. i sometimes forget to turn it once its in there until it's fully open. i have no accidents taking it out since im extra careful. i feel cleaner using this eco-friendly technique.
    Last edited by Vavoon; 05-23-2013 at 03:28 PM.

12. Likes Ororo, Kurliez liked this post
    twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally ordered my cup today. I've meant to order it for the last couple of months but never did. My period just went off this week so I'll have to wait until next month to try the cup.....wish me luck.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

14. Likes fuzzy_slippers, Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, still cupping, mine is in now, actually. This cup is well over a year old and I dont plan on buying a new one but i notice that it takes a little longer to "open" inside of me than it used to (which often times makes it settle up there in an uncomfortable manner and I have to take it and out and reset it) and I wonder if that is because of its age. I dunno. Still love the freedom of cupping tho.
    First set of locks: Sept. 14, 1999 - April 22, 2011
    Current set of locks: newly under way

Thank you Pank fairy for Panking me!!! Blessings to you! XOXOXO

16. Likes Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought a cup and used it last month. I could be wrong, but I don't think my body liked it. I put it in correctly and everything. I know it takes time to get use to be, but I really got the impression that it stirred up something down there. I am not using anything, but pads this cycle and I will try again next month to be sure. We'll see... *sigh*

18. Likes Kurliez liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast