Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default (Help me) Pick my new laptop, please!

My 8-year-old Dell Latitude 610 is on its way to glory! LOL! The diagnostics from Best Buy says that the motherboard is bad and it's not worth repairing. I was already planning to get a new laptop anyway and I can't complain because this laptop lasted 8 years.

My wish list is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, running at about $1,700 with my education discount. And that's a little bit less than what I paid for the Dell 8 years ago. I use an iMac at work and so far, so good.

However, PCs are much cheaper, of course. I could most likely buy a new PC sooner than the Mac unless I finance the Mac, which I would rather not do.

If I decide to get a PC, which one is best? It's my understanding that Macs are better for graphic design work. The majority of my work is writing, word processing, presentations, basically MS Office stuff.

I'd appreciate any guidance/resources to help me make a wise choice. The Dell was my first laptop so I've been quite blessed for it to last this long. Since I don't have a laptop at home at the moment, I actually do other stuff!

Thanks....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newlife2169 View Post
    It's my understanding that Macs are better for graphic design work.
    Macs really aren't better at graphic design work. That's just a myth that people accept at face value. Does it makes sense that after all these years, PC makers haven't been able to make something just as good?

I've used both. I'm a PC girl. For what I use it for, the monetary savings of buying a PC speak more to me. Right now, I'm typing this on a 17 in Acer PC. It's fairly inexpensive and really lightweight. It's running Windows 7. I've had it for close to a year and I've not had any problems.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a mac you should look at refurbs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm all about macs. i've only owned laptops since 1996 and it does suck hat the same price i paid for my suped up powerbook back in he day (2200) is the same price as i'd pay for my suped up macbook pro today

the one thing i loved about macs instead of pc's is that i was forever needing to upgrade memory in PCs due to the frequent software updates. the last year i owned a PC i didnt install any new programs and i wen from having tons of additional space to the PC frequently getting OOM messages due to the upgrades.

also one of the best thing about macs is that even when they are practically bricked, you can easily find someone who will pay $400-$800 for it . for instance the powerbook i held on to for years eventually died, wasphysically falling apart and 2 people were willing to buy it and i eventually sold it for $400.

besides that i effing HATE windows and i refuse to use that crap at home

5. Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    the one thing i loved about macs instead of pc's is that i was forever needing to upgrade memory in PCs due to the frequent software updates
    That's really odd. Most (close to all) software upgrades don't require updating any memory. There is two types of memory (on all computers): RAM (temporary) and hard drive (permanent). Most machines come with enough hard drive space that folks will never come close to filling it unless they are saving like hundreds of extremely large files. The average user (office stuff, music, photos, a few videos) just doesn't do that.

Also, since most machines have dual processors, RAM isn't usually a problem.

GG, were you buying physical memory cards or new hard drives that you permanently installed inside the actual machine? Whatever upgrades you were doing, I suspect they were unneeded.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what GG means though. My old 1gb Windows PC XP is pretty much a server now, it is slow in handling the latest web browsers even if I added an extra gig of RAM.

Still, I'm a PC girl, I like Apple products but hate how they stop supporting iOS machines when old machines can't handle the new ones and I am bothered but the consumerism it encourages.

On the other hand, Windows is closed to non IE browsers so they leak memory like crazy, whether Chrome or Firefox. Still, I have a Dell Mini and am happy with it, it was easy to find all kinds if freeware for it, I did spend a penny on mine.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a Mac. I've been on both sides of the fence and for just wear and tear, Macs are made better and just seem to last longer.

What was keeping me from going back to Mac was the cost. It was simply too expensive when I started out in NYC to even think about buying a Mac, but the PC laptop I bought lasted one year. So when that happened, I went back to Mac. The price tag is worth it. My MacBook Air is great. I got a discount for it and that was good too.

My boyfriend has an older MacBook Pro (2008 or so) and that thing is dented and well-traveled but still working. A PC that age I don't think would have hung on that long. How do I know this? I've got a PC laptop in moving box somewhere that I gave up using after a year because it started giving me problems. In PC's favor, if you take care of them, they keep going too. I have another old PC laptop that still runs. It's just way slow.

Go for the Mac.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

9. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post