Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why I'm DONE with Natural Hair Shows

Although I have been napptural (kinky haired natural) for most of my life and during the last consecutive 26 years, I decided to attend a natural hair show today just for curiosity. Aside from what I expected, I observed the following:

1. Most, if not all of the so called national brand natural hair company "representatives" appeared to fit one criteria: having 3A hair. Nothing is wrong with that however what I found offensive is they all assumed all kinky haired people wanted to define their curls.

One even told me my hair would look "shiny and bouncy" like her's if I used the product. My reply "I don't define curls. You got anything for my type hair?"

I can't count how many times I had to repeat myself during the day" I am not interested in defining curls".

2. Some vendors were taking candid photos of people visiting their booths. I guess for promotional purposes, but am not sure. Anyhow, all of the people photographed again had 3A hair.

Please do not misunderstand me. I have nothing against any hair type. I simply think that some(not all) so called natural hair enthusiasts have not shed their "good hair ' mentality.

3. I also found it curious that there were a few vendors selling weaves. One was an Indian couple selling human hair that had been altered to appear 'kinky straight".

Again, I have nothing against hair types or defining but don't assume that I want to look like YOU. I prefer the natural kinks, thank you very much.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^That is very interesting.
    The thing I love about all the natural hair expos/get togethers that I attended is the versatility that I have seen. Every texture you could think of.

As far as the vendor selling weave, money talks, and the vendor paid for a booth I'm sure. I've seen one or two unpopular vendors at the Expos I've attended too. Nobody was at their tables, so I'm sure they got the picture that people at that venue weren't interested.

3. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been to a natural hair show......

I wonder if we'll ever see a company that doesn't push curl definition. It would be interesting. I guess they'd focus more on the health of the hair, or softness...
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

5. Thanks Diane8783 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane8783 View Post
    1. Most, if not all of the so called national brand natural hair company "representatives" appeared to fit one criteria: having 3A hair. Nothing is wrong with that however what I found offensive is they all assumed all kinky haired people wanted to define their curls.

One even told me my hair would look "shiny and bouncy" like her's if I used the product. My reply "I don't define curls. You got anything for my type hair?"

I can't count how many times I had to repeat myself during the day" I am not interested in defining curls".

2. Some vendors were taking candid photos of people visiting their booths. I guess for promotional purposes, but am not sure. Anyhow, all of the people photographed again had 3A hair.

Please do not misunderstand me. I have nothing against any hair type. I simply think that some(not all) so called natural hair enthusiasts have not shed their "good hair ' mentality.
    Yep.

I don't know about the shows, specifically, because I've never been to one however it's not surprising to me because I see that throughout the larger "natural hair" community. I follow one "natural hair" entity on Instagram (that sells hair products) and half the pics they show are of straightened hair and the curly hair pics always get WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY more "likes" than the kinky hair pix do. I mean WAY WAAAY more.

As natural hair becomes more mainstream, more mainstream attitudes are coming along with it IMO.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    I've never been to a natural hair show......

I wonder if we'll ever see a company that doesn't push curl definition. It would be interesting. I guess they'd focus more on the health of the hair, or softness...
    Oyin doesn't, Anita Grant doesn't, Qhemet doesn't ......
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 05-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats interesting, ive been to a few hair shows. Recently the WNHS and I have to say its not ALL vendors.

As I am natural? was actually trying to educate folks while doing a models hair. She was a type 4. They did touch on curl definition but only because it was asked

Taliah Waajid had several type 4 models walking around, actually I dont think I saw any Curly Types but then I wasnt checking for them

There was people selling weave, folks getting their hair pressed, folks getting their locs retighted. Maybe cause the WNHS is so big there was a variety of folks in there.

I went to the MD Hair show in March, it wasnt big but it was a mixture of folks/vendors.

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

9. Thanks Intellexual, Lockolatte, Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprising, though. Everytime I look up natural hair most of the time all I ever see is either hair that's looser in texture, or hair so defined it looks like it's a looser texture. Twist outs and braid outs all over the place, and even in the case of locs what I see most are images of highly manicured locs with that scalpy look. Rarely do I ever see someone with natural hair just letting their hair BE.

But all that being said, I'd still like to visit a natural hair show someday. I'd get SO many awesome hair pics.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that you had that experience, Diane8783.

I too have never been to a natural hair show. I too am (very slightly) curious about attending...but at this point it's on the same level as a Star Trek convention: If they happen to be in town and I'm not doing anything and it doesn't cost too much to attend... *shrug*

The ones I've seen video clips of usually have a mix of textures present. I'd hate to think they were ALL looking for something to define their curls with...

This return to natural hair has only been happening for a hot minute. The good/bad hair mentality has been happening for WAY longer. It's going to take a long time for that mentality to go away and honestly I don't see it happening in my lifetime, not when I'm hearing young women TODAY talking about wanting to marry a nonblack man so their children will have good hair...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

12. Thanks hivierhair, Diane8783 thanked for this post
    Likes Soul Rebel, Serbbral liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never been to a natural hair show but this doesn't surprise me.

you can't go to a natural hair salon without them wanting to talk to you about how to define your curls . i recently went to a salan in SF for a consultation for a cut and trim and they tried to sell me on the you can use this, that and the other to define your curls. i was like i already now what i can use, and i'm not all that interesting in having that overstyled, uniform hair as curly looking helmet look.

14. Likes Soul Rebel, Diane8783 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to Natural Hair shows and I have observed the activity the OP has described. It wasn't to a great extent, but enough to slightly annoy me and make me go "hmmmmm."

I declined on attending the Natural Hair Show that was in Atlanta at the end of April because they are all starting to be the same as any other Expo that comes through. Not worth the hassle for me anymore...
    ~Love the hair you have~

16. Likes Diane8783 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast