Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Thinning in the middle

Hi Everyone! I am having a serious issue with my locs in regards to thinning in the middle of them. It started back in February with just a few of them thinning but now it is almost all of them. I have been tying knots where the thinning spots are to maybe save them as per a tip I saw online. I get my hair latch hooked once every 2-3 months so it is not as if they are getting over manipulated. I guess I could add extensions to them but that would get really expensive. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Does anyone have any tips or insight for me? Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings!

Many, many yrs. ago, I tried to "latch" my first set of locs, and I noticed they started to "split-in-the-middle {as if to form two separate locs}. I asked the person who did my locs "Why was my hair doing this?" He told me, "If you 'latch' going in ONE Direction ONLY, it will cause the loc to split." Make sure when you are latching your locs go in a clockwise direction or counter-clockwise direction.
    Another way to put it is like a compass: North, East, South, and West.

Hope that Helps! HTH
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your response! I go to a salon and my stylist has a lot of experience with latch hooking and locs in general. She does the North, East, South, West thing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine are thinning, but I think it's hereditary. I've combined those that I can although I don't know how that works with latching. I've also started massaging castor oil a few times a week, others say it works wonders over time.
    Carpe Diem

5. Likes issa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a few things... sometimes dryness causes breakage, and it shows up more in sensitive areas like the crown ( whatever your problem area may be). I remember being zealous about cleaning my locs with a non-sulfate shampoo and using only light oils so I didn't get build-up. Turns out I was drying my locs... too much Dr. Bronner's and too little conditioning. My locs started to break and thin in a few spots.

Could also be something health-wise, such as meds or diet that make your hair more brittle than normal. Anemia can be a factor. Just so happens that some areas of your hair are more special and show it first. (Or don't hold up as well to the tough treatment of the rest... my crown is my loosest curl pattern.)

Last but not least.. could be.a dermatologist problem. Androgenic and traction alopecia are sad but real. Better safe than sorry on diagnosis

long post... Hope it helps.

7. Likes QueenLocks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinning hair can be caused by:
    Stress/Depression
    Age/Hormonal changes {Twenty-something hair NOT like Forty-something hair}
    Medications/Drugs
    Health/Diet {Are you getting plenty of fruits/veggies and drinking water?}
    DNA/Family history of thin hair
    "Hair-Stress" {too much pulling/twisting of the hair or too Heavy Ext. on hair-base}

Pretty much what everyone else said.
    HTH
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys! I think that the thinning might be caused by the seizure medication I take. I just don't know what to do about it. I am not ready to part with my locs just yet.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. My hair was thinning before I Loc'd up. Locs are the remedy. Do you have hereditary thinning in your family? If you know for sure that it is from your medication ask your Dr. for a different medication that does not list hair loss as a side effect. Make sure your diet is adequate and drink plenty of water. I have always believed in hair vitamins and I currently take Visical for thinning hair. My hair is growing by leaps and bounds.I see new straggelys filling in too. Don't give up on your locs . Lastly,there is a lady in Philadelphia that makes loc pieces for thinning and bald areas. I don't have it with me now but will share it with you if you are interested. Make sure your Loctician is not interlocking your hair too tightly. That will damage the follicles and cause them to die or go into dormancy. You should not have pain nor discomfort after getting a re-tight. Yes,that will cause thinning,baldness and even tention\traction Alopecia. Be careful. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Onnica; 10-11-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Addig info

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Natural2003. How are your locs coming along concerning the thinning? You probably know by now that combining with latching is fine. You will have a loc that divides into two. These are called two headed dragons. If you desire you can cut off the thinner loc and make one single. However if thickness is what you seek you should let them be. Also, take at least a multi-vitamin if not a hair vitamin. You may as well do all that you can if you want healthy strong locs. I hope you have much success. Peace and Blessings.