Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be hypocritical but I draw the line at pirating books. I think the book industry is a more fragile artistic genre so I will support them, besides it's much easier now that I have an eReader to buy and download them.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

2. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    :/ I guess I live under a rock since I didn't know ppl did this. (Granted I don't pirate music either...) Fuzzy, if you liked the book would you buy the other books in the series? Or just keep pirating?

Thanks for the answers btw.
    Depends on the series. Sometimes I don't like the translation of a book or there isn't a translated version (at least not one that I know of that's as readily available), so I'll pirate a fan-translated copy.

I pirate movies, books, comic books, music, sheet music, programs, manuals. Sometimes I even pay for reprints of items other people have pirated. I also copy and crop art for forum avatars. Like my Misty here.

For me, it's not about the price. It's usually about instant gratification.

Book that costs over 400 on Amazon, plus shipping, plus a 7 to 10 day wait vs. a 10-minute download? Pirate.
    Book with 2 seeds and 1700 leeches that will take 2 days to download vs. the five-minute walk to Barnes&Noble? Purchase.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

4. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes Intellexual, shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I held out for a long time but the siren song of pirated books finally lured me . Most of my e-reads are from Project Gutenberg and similar sites but I do have a few .... liberated epubs and PDFs.

When I resume my education I'm going to try to get as many free textbooks as I can. The cost of renting books (physical or e-books) is just as much a ripoff as the sell-back/buy used scam most universities have going on and I'm sick of the mark-up (Amazon's marketplace and sites like ValoreBooks generally have a lower mark-up for books but it's still a rip-off). I know what it's like to be expected to pay $50 more for the newest edition of *whatever textbook* when the only thing that's changed is the color of the cover and 1 or 2 new paragraphs in one chapter. It's complete bullisht and if I don't have to do that any more then I'm not going to.
    Last edited by meagan22; 06-03-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: 2nd editing attempt

6. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes assia, shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I resisted buying an e-reader but received one as a gift last year. Now I love being able to access a vast library of books without having to worry about storage anymore. There are thousands of books free with my service and I've also purchased several already. I'm just not interested in pirating any books.

Back in the day, I used Itunes for my music until I discovered Limewire. I downloaded plenty of "free music" from there until I started seeing them prosecute several people for pirating music. I decided it wasn't worth it anymore to take that chance. And now with books, I guess I just don't want to go down that slippery slope.
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

8. Likes shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lin19lyn View Post
    I resisted buying an e-reader but received one as a gift last year. Now I love being able to access a vast library of books without having to worry about storage anymore. There are thousands of books free with my service and I've also purchased several already. I'm just not interested in pirating any books.

Back in the day, I used Itunes for my music until I discovered Limewire. I downloaded plenty of "free music" from there until I started seeing them prosecute several people for pirating music. I decided it wasn't worth it anymore to take that chance. And now with books, I guess I just don't want to go down that slippery slope.
    I wasn't into e-readers, either. Then my husband got me one a few years ago. I was almost into it. Then I realized the catch was replacing all my books with e-books so he could haul off my library to Goodwill or someplace and have extra shelves for his hobby. Hell to the No. I haven't touched an e-reader since on principle. Sometimes I buy books and I keep them even if I don't like them just to take up more room.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

10. Likes shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    This is going to be hypocritical but I draw the line at pirating books. I think the book industry is a more fragile artistic genre so I will support them, besides it's much easier now that I have an eReader to buy and download them.
    Co-signing with all of this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    So many writers of color are denied opportunities because their books "don't sell." I didn't think piracy was a big enough to have an impact but hey maybe it does.
    Chances are those writers of color were being denied opportunities due to non-moving inventory long before the ability to pirate books even came into play.

I have come to like ebooks because I travel a lot. Or I did when I could somewhat afford to. I have found digital copies of almost all of my most read books and collections and, consequently, I've given hundreds of books to goodwill/salvation army, etc.

Personally, I haven't bought too many physical new books from stores since the early 2000s during my book club days. I had long ago switched to buying used copies on amazon, half.com and ebay because I couldn't keep up with the price of books. And really, setting the legalities aside, how is my buying used books on ebay different from pirating them from the web? In either case the artist(s) get no additional royalties right?

13. Thanks fuzzy_slippers, Intellexual, Kurliez, shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes meagan22, shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by assia View Post
    Chances are those writers of color were being denied opportunities due to non-moving inventory long before the ability to pirate books even came into play.

I have come to like ebooks because I travel a lot. Or I did when I could somewhat afford to. I have found digital copies of almost all of my most read books and collections and, consequently, I've given hundreds of books to goodwill/salvation army, etc.

Personally, I haven't bought too many physical new books from stores since the early 2000s during my book club days. I had long ago switched to buying used copies on amazon, half.com and ebay because I couldn't keep up with the price of books. And really, setting the legalities aside, how is my buying used books on ebay different from pirating them from the web? In either case the artist(s) get no additional royalties right?
    Good point. I think buying a used book does not result in monetary benefit for the author no, but it's hard to compare a physical object to an electronic one that can be copied and distributed ad infinitum. Another thing it is probably easier for writers to leverage used book store sales and library circulation than the number of times their book has been stolen.

Thanks for all your thoughts folk! Keep 'em coming!
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

15. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes Intellexual, shortycocoa liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arr, matey!

17. Likes Kurliez, fuzzy_slippers, assia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the internet makes pirating so easy and repercussion free that folks either ignore, forget or actually don't know that such things are illegal or morally/ethically gray.

I pretty much avoid pirating stuff. I respect copyright and intellectual property rights.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

19. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes nickib, shortycocoa liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast