Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the same as @afroknots...I detangle and condition with coconut oil (4 big sections) the night before..put on a shower cap and scarf up my head for the night. run the water through a section to catch the last loose hairs and no problems at all with detangling before wash day. love it.

I pretty much spritz at night with my AVJ, gently pull apart like @deecoily. I massage a little oil or curl milk into my hair to pull away the obvious loose hairs away. In the AM I release them, let them fly or secure with a big barrett or scrunchie and braid into big sections. Love it. No fuss. All go!

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    What kind of mousse??

My thoughts about the challenge: I've got to say, I've been better with finger detangling lately. I only use my wide tooth comb and/or TT at washtime (which is maybe 1-2 times monthly). I rinse with water in between wash day. It has taken me years to relax enough and rely on my fingers to detangle...and I also see the benefits.

I decided to rinse my hair last weekend, then I didn't redo my twists until yesterday. Yeah, my hair was fuzzy and undefined in twists, but I'm learning how to put up with more frizz and puffiness.
    I use Tigi Curlesque Strong Hold Mousse. It's a staple!

And you will find that your hair WILL be puffy and undefined at first but as time goes on, if you have coils, they will start coming through more and more as you continue the challenge and find your groove.

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    When I was separating the twists last night, I found several more tangles and cleaned out more shed hair. While this gave me that familiar feeling of having not thoroughly detangled, I realized that the tangles were not that much worse than after I've spent 2-3 hours pre-poo detangling with fingers AND comb &/or Denman. I had a lightbulb moment then: My strands are going to join together no matter what. I have to accept that this hair will never be "fully" detangled in order to really commit to being totally comb/brush free. Gotta just let my strands do what they're going to do in between detangling sessions, and consistently break up the marrying sections with my fingers as often as I can.
    DINGGITTYDINGDING!! That's the secret! Hair like ours is NEVER going to be completely detangled because it's not designed that way. We can minimize, etc and prevent hair sections from tightening and locking up but the hair is gonna do what it does and that is wrap around itself the second we stop fiddling with it LOL. So this challenge is about working with that while not allowing your hair to become knotted up.

I also have discovered that the more shed hair you get rid of, the less tangling you have... and the shed hair will form balls at the ends of the hair if they are not removed.

4. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Likes OHR, hivierhair, CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much Dee! I am glad I was able to get logged in. Since we agree that our hair texture etc. is probably the same...I will be glad to try this!! WHEW!!
    Lyrical Lady (formally, Pushin' 60)

http://public.fotki.com/panamabev/[/url]
    (no password needed)

6. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrical Lady, keep me posted on your progress Great to see you were able to log in and you better be in here often! lol
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all late but I'm definitely joining, I only finger comb as it is so this is the perfect challenge.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

9. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capturing the journey...see my signature.

11. Thanks OHR thanked for this post
    Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^thanks for the siggy, KA/Chele! Your hair looks great!

I've been doing the finger detangling for maybe a month, and I do see positive results. It's weird not using a wide toothed comb/tangle teezer...I guess as I get better at it, this won't take long.

I notice that you oil the scalp. I typically don't do that, but perhaps I need to try.

13. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is weird! To me it feels like I'm caressing my hair and it's responding by becoming fuller and longer as I continue to grow out of locks.

In your case, would the oil agitate your scalp (remembering eczema or some other scalp condition going on)? I'm wondering if the oil might not work for everyone.

My hair craves AVJ and oil. If I'm wearing my hair in a str8 look, I stick to oil. If I'm doing the braid-out look, I'll spritz and oil only if it gets dry. But all stretching and detangling is done with my hands and it works really well..not noticing splits and tears.

This will be interesting to see what works for different people as we grow..

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    In your case, would the oil agitate your scalp (remembering eczema or some other scalp condition going on)? I'm wondering if the oil might not work for everyone.
    Yeah...my eczema is somewhat controlled right now...I do rinse more often in between washings and the normal stressors (school's out for the summer!) aren't a trigger. I remember when I'd lost all my hair, I'd use jojoba oil on the scalp...and it responded rather well. I'll try a lightweight oil again.

My hair craves AVJ and oil. If I'm wearing my hair in a str8 look, I stick to oil. If I'm doing the braid-out look, I'll spritz and oil only if it gets dry. But all stretching and detangling is done with my hands and it works really well..not noticing splits and tears.
    My hair loves AVJ as well. I've combined it with Oyin's Honey Hemp and a bit of distilled water, and I like it a lot. How often do you detangle per week? Do you mist first, then detangle in between washings?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since i took my locs down in Dec., all I've been doing is no comb. i bought a few and even a new Denman brush..tried them at FIRST to release the last mat/tangle but it felt violating to me. lol. After 7 yrs w/o a comb, Im just not with that life anymore. My fingers do a good enough job for what I'm doing with my hair and I see it thriving, especially in my crown area and along my edges where it's weak. I remember when i was loose before this area stayed broke and shreaded using brushes and combs. It' thriving and the same length as my longest hairs. So, I'm going to 'listen' to my hair this time and keep with the combless/brushless theme..so yeh, add me to the challenge.

Beautiful pics Dee!
    My newbie (< 1 year old) locs were completely down as of yesterday. In the conditioning and detangling aftermath, I tried to use my Denman. My hair said,"WHAT. do. you. think. you. are. doing?"

I wound up finger-detangling my hair.

Later today I found my Tangle Teezer. And even though I keep reading about finger-detangling, I'm struggling internally.

Deep down I keep feeling as though I have to use a tool on my hair.

But I want to join this challenge...And I probably will.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast