Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What do I do with natural hair that I want to grow???

A little over a year ago I decided to go natural...it's been 14 months and I love my TWA...however, I want my hair to grow, but I'm kind of afraid to because I'm not sure what to do with it. I really don't want to go back to a relaxer but don't know what to do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi reneely!

I'm not going to write very much in my post. I'm about to wind down for the evening. Hopefully, though, others will jump in with useful information!

In the meantime, I'd like to encourage you to visit the other parts of the board. Don't be afraid to do searches for specific topics.

If you want to know more about who's replying to you... Right now I'm taking down my locs. (They're less than 1 year old.) But loose natural hair is my default style. I first went natural over a decade ago.

Now then...As for general tips...

Don't use fine-toothed combs or brushes in your hair.

Also, although I've read that some do otherwise, I'm used to detangling my hair when it's is wet or damp.

Natural hair is sensitive. Treat it gently, and it will flourish!
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

3. Thanks reneely2459 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just something to think about, if you go back to a relaxer, how will that help with your hair growth?

For most people (mysel included), it's about retention and not growth. You examine your routine, products that you are using, and how you handle your hai so that you can ensure that you are preserving the length that you have and prevent any breakage.

Just remember, shrinakge makes your hair looks shorter than it actually is and it's only been 14 months. Give is some more time. Learn about your hair and how to care or it a bit longer.

Good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your reply, Whitley .

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, Wastin' Time
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest going to youtube and looking up natural hairstyles. A lot of times they actually do tutorials on how to do the style, and you can look for styles that work for whatever length your hair is. Honestly, my hair has grown a lot since my BC and I still mostly do what I did back then (except for wash 'n goes because I've been too lazy to try to figure out how to do them at this length) and that's twists/twist outs and braid outs. When it got long enough I started doing more buns.

Just have some fun and do some research on styles. You don't even have to know how to cornrow/french braid or flat twist for most of the styles out there, and you can do some really cute stuff.

And when all else fails, just rock a puff that was my go-to style in the warmer months when I didn't feel like doing anything with my hair.

To retain length, try to keep your hair in protective styles (styles that protect your ends, which means not really wearing it out much) so you won't have to worry about knots and tangles as much.

I also greatly recommend finger detangling. I was having breakage issues, and early this year I decided to just finger dentangle, and it really gets easier the more you do it (and faster) and I've had less breakage. You have to be super patient with your hair either way.

NEVER comb it when it's dry. And avoid using heat.

Hope this helps!
    BC: May 22, 2010

My Hair Blog
    : Back2MyRoots
    Last Updated: October 3, 2010

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikal203 View Post
    I suggest going to youtube and looking up natural hairstyles. A lot of times they actually do tutorials on how to do the style, and you can look for styles that work for whatever length your hair is. Honestly, my hair has grown a lot since my BC and I still mostly do what I did back then (except for wash 'n goes because I've been too lazy to try to figure out how to do them at this length) and that's twists/twist outs and braid outs. When it got long enough I started doing more buns.

Just have some fun and do some research on styles. You don't even have to know how to cornrow/french braid or flat twist for most of the styles out there, and you can do some really cute stuff.

And when all else fails, just rock a puff that was my go-to style in the warmer months when I didn't feel like doing anything with my hair.

To retain length, try to keep your hair in protective styles (styles that protect your ends, which means not really wearing it out much) so you won't have to worry about knots and tangles as much.

I also greatly recommend finger detangling. I was having breakage issues, and early this year I decided to just finger dentangle, and it really gets easier the more you do it (and faster) and I've had less breakage. You have to be super patient with your hair either way.

NEVER comb it when it's dry. And avoid using heat.

Hope this helps!
    Yeesssss! I agree wholeheartedly. YouTube is the place to go, especially if you are a visual learner. There is plenty of information out there you can even look at pictures on the internet and become inspired. A little piece of advice be patient and do not become fraustrated while you figure out how to style your hair. Your hair may not look or do exactly what everyone else does.

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empower yourself first with information. Im a researcher by training and nature so I like to read, read, read. I watch, but balance that with my intuition. Find what works best for you because I have often made the worst mistakes by 'trying' something from a YT video that worked for one person, and was dismal for me (bentonite clay on my locks). I had my lock journey down pack, then decided to experiment and paid a hefty price for it. There's so many resources out here now. Keep notes, try things out and keep notes and pictures of what works and does not work for you if you can! Have fun!
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

9. Likes Claire76 liked this post