Likes Likes:  10
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Moving on...(probably will be updated as this experience goes on)

I might keep one or two clients, but I've decided that it's time to go in-house and work in a team environment for awhile. Some of that is practical as a couple of years at an agency or start-up can be valuable. Some of it is really because I've got freelancer fatigue.

I was just in NYC so lucked out to have an agency CEO basically say that they're looking for people in their office near me and asked me to email him. I did. He put me in contact with someone in the local office, and that phone call is happening tomorrow. I also met a start-up CEO is looking for folks who do what I do, and have a commitment to talk to her in a couple of weeks. She's traveling now, so it's best to talk when she's back and focused.

Anyway, with this transition, one client has found someone to step into my virtual shoes. She and I spoke, and I gave her the details of what I do for this client. She got our emails confused and sent me the contract. Um, now I know how much he's paying her. It's MUCH less than what I make and that info is confidential, of course. I only know because she made an error, and I informed her immediately that she'd sent it to me accidentally (or maybe she did just want me to know what he's paying her, but if so, I'll assume she'll mention that.)

Now that I know he's paying just about 1/2 of what he's paying me, I want to warn her to not take on all of my duties for what she's being paid. It really does undermine freelancers when that happens, but it's also part of the game and the market. I understand both sides.

I'm a bit conflicted. I know what she'll make because of her error, so that much isn't on me. I'm thinking I'm going to hold my commentary for a bit if not indefinitely. Hopefully, after talking to her she realizes for what she'll make she should either charge more or scale it back.

2. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just seeing this! I hear you on freelancer fatigue. I hope everything worked out swimmingly and you are enjoying your new situation
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

4. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took awhile, but got an offer from a start-up. (I decided to ban myself from this forum until things were settled.)

The agency job didn't come through. Agency people seem to be insular in the sense that they don't like to take risks on people who have a different or unique career track. That was the feeling I got in 2009 and my feeling is the same in 2013. You see a lot of people who start at agencies lateral out to other positions, and I've heard of some people going to agencies but that's much more rare. In a way, I think I got lucky as this agency has a reputation of hiring them young and working them to the bone for low pay.

I then focused on start-ups and got deep into the process for one, but got a "no" right before the last round of interviews. Then I started hedging my bets a bit and networking again for freelance work...just in case. There was another start-up that I applied for, and I finally got that offer I wanted. Phew. Things were getting scary.

So Now I have to shift into job mode starting next week. I'm excited because I'll get to do some fun stuff! Okay, now I can let myself enjoy this forum again.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

6. Likes jorjeni, Soul Rebel, deecoily, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how's things with the new gig?
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I want to know too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    So how's things with the new gig?
    Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Yeah I want to know too.
    I can finally answer. (I accidentally let my Pank membership lapse and it took a few days to be deemed Pank again. )

In start-up fashion, I'm an operating expense which means I'm on contract. That's no so bad because contract workers get paid a bit more.

My contract recently got renewed and, during that time, the company also got a new round of funding. The budget for my department also got increased. I love my supervisor and the head of my department. I was part of the department expansion and now we're done with that, so it's time to hit the ground running and perform. I've hit a few milestones in terms of creating some strong documents for my department (this is where I'm sure they're glad they hired someone who can both write well and slog through bureaucracy a bit...thanks law school.)

When the offer to renew came up I talked to a friend who went from contract to hire for a big tech company. They kept her on contract for about a year before she got an offer, so I'm thinking that's the game plan with this company too. There are some people who got hired immediately but those were for different positions. Most of the hires are on contract though. Some of it is balance sheet manipulation, I know: certain numbers make a company look better to investors. If a company needs to cut operating expenses, well, a few contract workers get the axe. But with a new round of funding I'm feeling good that won't come up (something else might, so I'm trying to be smart and work hard). We'll see when or if the 3 folks who are on contract in my department, including me, get offers.

For now, it's working out. San Francisco/Silicon Valley is much more status and name driven than NYC it seems. In NYC people loved my story and work ethic. The travel and schooling helped, but that didn't seem to be as important as who I was. Like it or not, here the names matter more it seems. In NYC I worked my butt off, earned the trust of those I met and formed a strong circle of people; that got me referrals that turned into business. In Cali, even though it's my home, folks are much more flakey in that respect. In NYC folks say they'll call and, most of the time, they do. In Cali, folks say they'll call and you take that with a grain of salt. It makes networking much harder unless you're coming in with a name. That was the primary reason I decided it was time to go in-house. I just have a couple of networking stories that play out that way. When I networked as just me - scrappy entrepreneur people weren't as interested. In contrast, I went to a conference with the start-up's name on my name tag and people stuck around longer to talk.

So I have the play the game of the region that I'm in. Also, I was getting a bit lonely working solo, and I didn't want to substantially change the nature of what I was doing (hiring people would change my job description a lot.)

Anyway, all is good and we even had two weeks off during the holidays during which I decided to ante up and lease a car. One challenge when I was looking the first time was that I was limited to the city or nearby east bay locations that I could get to via mass transit. Now if I have to look again, I can look further out and with it being tech central, there are A LOT of jobs on the Peninsula.

Remember getting two weeks off from school during the holidays? We did! The company was closed for two weeks with two days out of those two weeks work from home days (if you wanted to). It feels the same as my school days and the break was NICE. The office will open up on Monday. I know I'll come back refreshed and with the goal to keep up the work that will get me renewed.

I had a great client fall into my lap and that's been extra (of course, that was a NYC connection and it's an NYC-based client), and it looks like another might be coming my way (yes, NYC). I also have a friend who is going to recommend me to another tech company here that's looking to hire rather than have someone on contract.

I'm considering all possibilities until they give me an offer. For now, so far, so good. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks for caring enough to ask!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

10. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, the perils of being an operating expense!

The start-up where I had a contract did a major pivot. Contracts, including me, weren't renewed, and they went as far as dismissing even some of their full-time workers. I know it all came down to cash flow or not as much of a cash flow as they wanted. They were spending too much money, but the reason I was there was satisfied. I realized I wanted to not work alone anymore, so instead of pursuing new clients I spent this summer looking for a new job.

I got one and am in my first week. Stuff like being an employee I'll have to get used to. What's nice is I can get rid of my private insurance and get company insurance: a bit of a better policy and much cheaper. Plus, all the other stuff. I was very picky and wanted a role where I made decisions and directed strategy, I have it here. That's scary but also so very exciting. The Executive Director vacilates between neurotic and normal. I think I can handle it because I have some similar traits. I'm hoping I know how to work with her but also calm her down when I have to. Nothing much to say beyond that except I think this is the job I've been waiting for.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moving on...(probably will be updated as this experience goes on)

Congrats Scribe, hope everything works out just the way you want!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Moving on...(probably will be updated as this experience goes on)

It wasn't the job I was waiting for. It.was.hell. My boss was a nut.

However, I resigned. It was hard jumping back into the job hunt game, but got another job and that's worked out great so far. It's been two months. It's all mostly good and what isn't, I think, will work out as my boss is sane.

Sane bosses are good.