Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can always refuse the c-section. I would refuse induction too. Do you have a doula?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojito Chica View Post
    You can always refuse the c-section. I would refuse induction too. Do you have a doula?
    That's what hubbs and I discussed today... I'm going to refuse it if she offers it to me... I don't want to be induced, nor do I want a c-section... I don't have a doula... I'm on medicaid right now, and I can't afford it... I signed the release forms for the c-section and induction procedures a few weeks back, just because it's "normal procedure" at a hopsital... And I'll agree to it ONLY IF they are needed because of an emergency... But, I really think I can do this on my own...
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the love of all that's holy, tell that dr that you don't want any medical intervention before labor starts. No scheduled c-section based on ultrasound estimate of weight; no induction because that leads to steps that pretty much lead to a c-section anyway. I've had 2 labors--the first was all natural and while it hurt like hell, it was bearable. I was induced with my second and that pitocin is insane. I couldn't do it. I had to get an epidural. I think your own natural contractions won't go past a certain level of pain that you can't bear but since pitocin is only a mimic of the oxytocin your body produces, it doesn't "know" when to stop so to speak.
    You and your hubby are going to have to be prepared to fight for your natural labor experience. It's going to be tough because you're going to be doing the work of labor which makes it hard to make decisions sometimes--especially when you're weary from being in pain for a prolonged amount of time. Your hubby may be having a tough time since it's the first time for him and men don't like seeing their women in pain--esp when they can't do anything about it. All of this leaves you both vulnerable to subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) manipulation from the staff to do what they want to do. OBGYNs and hospitals love a c-section because they get to control when, where, and how it happens. Plus, it costs more so they get paid more. The fact that your dr is already talking c-section for 9 lbs. of baby (which is large but not overwhelmingly so) leads me to believe she's going to push for surgery before you really have to have it but she's going to make it seem like that's the best option. It sounds scary but women have given birth vaginally to big babies before. As baby's weight increases, there's more of a chance for issues (she's going to most likely throw out shoulder dystocia) and instead of dealing with them as they happen, OBs in this age like to say if I do a c-section, I won't have to deal with any of that. I'm like nahh...better put all that medical school knowledge to work and stop being lazy.
    With all of that being said, baby's needs comes first and if during labor something is happening and a c-section becomes the best way to deal with it, then have it and don't feel bad about it at all. With my youngest daughter, my OB waited as long as he could before saying "Okay, baby's not tolerating labor well. We have to go in and get her" and because I could actually hear the very slow heartbeat after a contraction that would barely recover to normal before another contraction came (I blame that on the pitocin as well; not giving baby enough time to recover between contractions) I was all for that c-section because at that point, I just wanted her alive. So you may get to a point where you have to choose between vaginal & c-section but I would try not to make those decisions before the onset of labor.
    Last edited by caprimom; 07-31-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: subject-verb agreement lol

4. Thanks GoodT, Intellexual, redecouverte thanked for this post
    Likes !Beatnut!, dayna liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes yes yaaaaas to all of what caprimom said! Let me see if I have any books or anything to help with labor support, I'll gladly send them to you. If you want to have more children down the line and don't want to fight about having a repeat c-section the truly BEST way to help that is to not have the first c-section. My daughter was breech and my OB doesn't know how to deliver a breech baby (and if it wasn't my first he'd have referred me to a colleage), so he did a section. I had to fight like HELL to get to try for a VBAC with my son, and was induced (that pitocin is straight from the pits of hell), but I'm just crazy enough to fight through it without an epidural.

But yes, read all you can and maybe take a pain management class NOT offered by the hospital (their classes are a joke, more of breath for 5 minutes until you ask for drugs) so you can learn about different positions, pressure points, massages Richard can do, etc. I'll even ask a local doula if she knows of your area has any free doulas, mine does if you are Medicaid eligible!

6. Thanks Intellexual, GoodT thanked for this post
    Likes caprimom, GoodT liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FaithNPraise View Post
    Yes yes yaaaaas to all of what caprimom said! Let me see if I have any books or anything to help with labor support, I'll gladly send them to you. If you want to have more children down the line and don't want to fight about having a repeat c-section the truly BEST way to help that is to not have the first c-section. My daughter was breech and my OB doesn't know how to deliver a breech baby (and if it wasn't my first he'd have referred me to a colleage), so he did a section. I had to fight like HELL to get to try for a VBAC with my son, and was induced (that pitocin is straight from the pits of hell), but I'm just crazy enough to fight through it without an epidural.

But yes, read all you can and maybe take a pain management class NOT offered by the hospital (their classes are a joke, more of breath for 5 minutes until you ask for drugs) so you can learn about different positions, pressure points, massages Richard can do, etc. I'll even ask a local doula if she knows of your area has any free doulas, mine does if you are Medicaid eligible!
    And that's exactly my concern... I do want more children later on, and I want to be able to have natural births... Also, I want to breastfeed, and I don't want to have to worry about my baby being all drugged up from the pain meds I'd have to take from the c-section...

I've been reading Ina May Gaskin's book "Guide to Childbirth" for information about positions and natural pain management... I'm not taking the hopsital's childbirth classes at all anyway... I'm doing my own research because I know what kind of birth I want to have...

I really appreciate you all giving me so much information/encouragement... I talked to my doc at my appt today... She said she's taking me back to visits every two weeks since my glucose levels are so well controlled on this diet... She says there's a good chance that Gracie could still be normal weight, but I brought up the 38 week sonogram and weight issue with her... I told her that I won't do the c-section or induction if there's nothing wrong with my baby... I'll stay home and labor by myself... They can't drag me out of my house and force me to schedule/have a c-section or induction... I talked to my mom about it, and she thinks it's the right thing to do... She says I can have this baby on my own and not worry about these crazy doctors who are so ready to cut someone open...

If you all know of any other good books about pain management/techniques for natural childbirth, please let me know... I need all the information I can get. *hugs*
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should look to see if there are any student doulas in your area that might do it for a reduced fee or for free. You should also see if your library has Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. Really it's best to labor at home for as long as possible to avoid unnecessary interventions.
    Last edited by Mojito Chica; 08-01-2013 at 01:42 AM.

9. Thanks GoodT thanked for this post
    Likes GoodT, caprimom liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good news GoodT! Your kicking gestational diabetes butt!
    I will say that in the event you have a c-section (depending on how that occurs) breast feeding shouldn't be affected. I nursed my youngest for 25 months and now that I think about it, I persevered through all of the initial struggles bc I couldn't labor naturally so at least I'd feed her that way. I had an epidural so I wasn't sluggish after it was taken out.
    As for pain management, I don't know of any books per se. I do have thoughts on it that may help. The biggest and hardest thing that has to happen is a retraining of your psychological response to pain. Pain is usually our body's way of telling us that something is wrong. The more intense the pain, the worse it is. We quickly try to find ways to alleviate the pain as much as possible. In childbirth, that pain has to be embraced & welcomed. No pain means no progression. Most of these classes are teaching relaxation techniques because if you relax, the body can open up more efficiently. If you don't find ways to relax, you can get caught in this pain-fear-pain cycle where you tense up in anticipation of and in response to pain. You end up making the pain worse because the body thinks stronger contractions are needed to do the work. Easiest way to relax? Breathing intently. Your body will tell you what it needs--deep slow breaths filling your body with energy, shorter exhalations that can release energy, maybe even vocalization--humming, moaning, singing, whimpering--or maybe none of that. (Rant: Movies dramatize the experience of labor with lots of screaming and such. All the women I grew up around prided themselves on quietly bearing their children in opposition to those "crazy white women" on tv so I thought I had to do the same. But I personally believe there is power in our voices and it can be used to soothe. Don't we sing & hum to our babies when they're upset? Why not do the same for our own selves? /end rant)
    I think yoga is a good way to learn how that breath moves through your body esp in difficult poses. In yoga, you're following the breath. Look for yoga videos for pregnant women and when you're in poses that make you uncomfortable, take note of how changing your breath changes your experience of the pose.
    Trust your body to know what to do; it was made for this. As labor wears on, affirmations can help--short and sweet. "My body was made to do this" or something like that. Teach your husband these things so he can give them to you when you can't do it yourself. So take this time to think about what calms you in the face of fear & have it there during labor. What makes you feel better when you're in pain--if you had strong menstrual cramps, what worked for you?
    Lastly (finally!) know as much as you can about the stages of labor. Not just the descriptions they give in those pregnancy books but try to find other women's experiences (google labor stories) because they'll probably use phrases that will make more sense while you're in labor. I.e. "At first, the contractions were more like a long wave that built up, peaked, and then crashed" vs "In early labor, contractions tend to last x amount of time with x amount of time between them. Labor stories also tend to describe transitioning to active labor better than pregnancy books do. You'll see phrases like "I was kind of out of it" "my body took over" vs "In active labor, contractions become more intense with shorter intervals between them". I think it's good to have the factual info but during the labor, those factual descriptions don't tell you what to do and may freak you out even more.

Sorry for this long long post. I always have a lot to say about labor & delivery lol!

11. Thanks FaithNPraise thanked for this post
    Likes GoodT, Mojito Chica liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ Exactly! Know yourself, if you're introverted and in order to focus you need to be away by yourself the LAST thing you need is a room full of strangers staring at you while your legs are wide open, KWIM? Lots of ladies need to hole themselves up in a corner somewhere to channel their energy and get the job done. I kept my crowd light (just my husband and my doula) in the room and it made my parents mad, but oh well - they weren't in the room when I conceived either! *flips locs* Make a playlist of your favorite music with maybe a few different moods; some stuff that gets you hype, other songs that mellow you out, etc.

Along with the moaning, the sphincter law is very important! If you like to laugh (yeah right, I know you do), get your favorite funny movies or comedians on cue as well - laughing opens your sphincter and can help with contraction pain.

13. Likes caprimom, GoodT, Ororo liked this post
    Hot boxing wit God when da rainbow is enuf
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faith & Caprimom, you guys are giving some good advice, and I'm taking notes! Either one of ya'll happen to be doulas? My birth plan includes a natural childbirth, too. With all that I know now, my next child will be at a birthing center or in my tub!! I have a doula (thanks to Faith), and my doula recommended a book called The Birth Partner by Penny Simpkin. GoodT, check this out:

15. Likes caprimom, GoodT liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caprimom is right about c-sections and breastfeeding. It's just important to nurse if your baby is able or pump if your baby is in the NICU as soon as possible.

17. Likes caprimom, GoodT liked this post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast