Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NowIamnappy View Post
    Waves hello to all the ladies, I hope everyone is doing well. The past month I was trying out some different hair products and my hair was not having it! So Im back to what works well for me. Anywho I'm debating should I do a length check now or just wait for the end of the year.. decisions decisions. Whats going on with everyone else? @TrinicianBeauty have you tried the flaxseed gel yet?
    Not much is going on with me. I have been loving braid outs lately and the detangling issues I have been having were basically solved with one good combing session. My roots were matted and I needed to deal with that situation. I am back to mostly finger combing now. I also have been enjoying what I have been using lately on my hair so it has been feeling soft. I am all around happy so far. I also toyed with the idea of doing a wash and go but decided finally that for me that is a style I will experiment with when I reach my length goals. I prefer braidouts and flat twistouts to wash and go's in general and my hair has a very high likelihood of not getting along with that style.

Besides that I have an interview tomorrow, and I hope it goes well .
    Thank you to whoever panked me!!

2. Thanks NowIamnappy thanked for this post
    Likes NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrinicanBeauty View Post
    Hey, how's everybody doing? Almost a month has flown by (and soooo quickly). I'm supposed to be babying my hair (and myself), but have still been slacking and looking half a hot mess *shh*. However, one thing I have discovered is that oil rinses are awesome for my hair (even when I'm lazy and/or don't have time to moisturize throughout the week). Anybody else do them? I got the idea from some YouTubers and have been doing it for like the last month and a half. It has really helped me combat dryness.

@ NIAN : My Fantasia gel is almost out. I'm practically counting down, lol... just a matter of time. I really want to try flaxseed gel. $3-$4 is not bad at all. I need to find a Whole Foods by me.
    I am thinking on trying oil rinses soon . My hair loves oil so this looks like it's right up my alley! I just bought fantasia ic gel, how did you like it and how did you use it?

4. Likes NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, everyone :^) *wave wave wave* I've been keeping my hair stretched with large plaits and braidouts/twistouts recently. It's an easy routine and has minimized tangles sooo much. However, next week I plan to try out curlformers (mixing it up). I'm excited to see the results, but I'm praying it doesn't take forever and a day to install and to dry.

@ NIAN :
    No, I haven't bought it yet. Still trying to finish up my old gel (I plan to use the container for the flaxseed). I was thinking of purchasing some seeds today, but I had been running errands all day and then it had the nerve to rain - "done", lol.

@ CCmomof5 : I've only used conditioner as a moisturizer after washing, but haven't tried it daily. I'm glad it's working for you. Moisture balance can be such a tricky thing for us naturals. Let us know the results of your experiment.

@ hivierhair :
    • I agree about shea butter being a bit waxy...but I kinda like it, lol. I feel like it really keeps the moisture in and allows me to mold and shape my hair without it breaking. But oil gives me that, too, just lighter; so, I'll use either-or (or both) depending on how I'm feeling and/or the weather.
    • Your thoughts are like mine regarding the WNG; I tried it this summer and I loved the look, the shape, and how it fell. The previous summer, it looked really weird to me when I did it (different textures/shrinkage), so I left it alone. I want to try it again, but I know knots are a given and I want to reach my goal, too. So, I'm trying to restrain myself until I reach hip-length or until next Summer - whichever comes first.
    • Concerning the IC Fantasia gel, I really like it. In my opinion, it does the job and isn't drying, but I only use it for a few things. I currently mostly use it for laying down my edges. In the past I'd use it for slicking puffs; and when I did twists, sometimes I'd mix it with one of those "Pink Moisturizers" (which I no longer use - acne issues) and would get a really, really nice turnout (light, super soft, non-oily, moisturized twists). I tried to use it with Tresemme Naturals conditioner for a WNG, but my strands immediately started locking and webbing (washed that out quick! lol). My braidouts can loose almost all definition within hours, so I may add a little gel and see what that does. Sorry about the book, lol.
    Growing Naturally since 2003
    A Kinky-Coily-Fuzzy Nap
    Current Length - WL (Aiming for Hiplength)

I love me some Jesus <3

6. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Likes hivierhair, NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrinicanBeauty View Post
    Hey, everyone :^) *wave wave wave* I've been keeping my hair stretched with large plaits and braidouts/twistouts recently. It's an easy routine and has minimized tangles sooo much. However, next week I plan to try out curlformers (mixing it up). I'm excited to see the results, but I'm praying it doesn't take forever and a day to install and to dry.

@ NIAN :
    No, I haven't bought it yet. Still trying to finish up my old gel (I plan to use the container for the flaxseed). I was thinking of purchasing some seeds today, but I had been running errands all day and then it had the nerve to rain - "done", lol.

@ CCmomof5 : I've only used conditioner as a moisturizer after washing, but haven't tried it daily. I'm glad it's working for you. Moisture balance can be such a tricky thing for us naturals. Let us know the results of your experiment.

@ hivierhair :
    • I agree about shea butter being a bit waxy...but I kinda like it, lol. I feel like it really keeps the moisture in and allows me to mold and shape my hair without it breaking. But oil gives me that, too, just lighter; so, I'll use either-or (or both) depending on how I'm feeling and/or the weather.
    • Your thoughts are like mine regarding the WNG; I tried it this summer and I loved the look, the shape, and how it fell. The previous summer, it looked really weird to me when I did it (different textures/shrinkage), so I left it alone. I want to try it again, but I know knots are a given and I want to reach my goal, too. So, I'm trying to restrain myself until I reach hip-length or until next Summer - whichever comes first.
    • Concerning the IC Fantasia gel, I really like it. In my opinion, it does the job and isn't drying, but I only use it for a few things. I currently mostly use it for laying down my edges. In the past I'd use it for slicking puffs; and when I did twists, sometimes I'd mix it with one of those "Pink Moisturizers" (which I no longer use - acne issues) and would get a really, really nice turnout (light, super soft, non-oily, moisturized twists). I tried to use it with Tresemme Naturals conditioner for a WNG, but my strands immediately started locking and webbing (washed that out quick! lol). My braidouts can loose almost all definition within hours, so I may add a little gel and see what that does. Sorry about the book, lol.
    Thanks Trinican!

I think I am actually planning to go back to shea butter for a while. There is nothing like it when it comes to stretching hair. I may also try Fantasia IC on a braidout. I have been wanting to see if I can get longer lasting defined results. As for the wash and go I agree with you completely. It is something I will try when I really don't mind the aftermath.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped out of this challenge earlier this year, but I plan to get back in the game with you ladies for 2014.

9. Likes hivierhair, NowIamnappy, CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitley Gilbert View Post
    I dropped out of this challenge earlier this year, but I plan to get back in the game with you ladies for 2014.

I'm in it fro 2014 also!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitley Gilbert View Post

I'm in it for 2014 also!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread. I had another minor setback...rolls eyes... So I had twists in for most of November and right at the end near thanksgiving I took out my twists. I fingered detangled on dry hair with oil to remove the shed hair but apparently there was some matted piece in the back that I missed. Welllllll when I went to wash I had a big knot in the back/nape area like a huge one inch type knot that no matter what I did it would not come out. I ended up just grabbing the scissors and cutting the chunk out....sigh... then the following week, well to be honest before this I've been having severe ssks so I think that is/was contributing to my detangling issues. So I went in and trimmed another 1-2 inches of knots off. Ladies every time my hair gets this length ssks take over, it causes breakage when detangling and I just dont know what to do. I felt like I cut off all my progress from 2-3 months. Granted I'm still like 1 inch away from WL but I need help. I generally always keep my hair stretched, I do wear twists frequently, I dry detangle and then wet detangle in the shower. After my shampoo and condition I always airdry in large twists and the following day I either do an updo, bun or smaller twists.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

13. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for your setback, NIAN! Your wash day regimen sounds similar to mine, so I'm not sure that I have any useful suggestions. Could it be the cooler weather? Not sure where you are or how cold it gets there, but from what I've read winter can be harsh on our hair and the ends are always the first parts of our hair to suffer since they're so far from the natural oils from our scalp. And that would apply even if you're not dealing with super cold weather - I'm not, and I've noticed how the additional length makes the ends easier to dry out and tangle, too. Maybe you need a heavier and/or more slippery sealant to help minimize the knotting. That helped me. I still gets lots of SSKs, but there are far fewer when I consistently use a heavier, slippery-er (made up a word ) moisturizer and sealant.

Be encouraged, sis! The trim may be just what you needed to get the healthy progress you want!

15. Likes NowIamnappy, hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    Sorry for your setback, NIAN! Your wash day regimen sounds similar to mine, so I'm not sure that I have any useful suggestions. Could it be the cooler weather? Not sure where you are or how cold it gets there, but from what I've read winter can be harsh on our hair and the ends are always the first parts of our hair to suffer since they're so far from the natural oils from our scalp. And that would apply even if you're not dealing with super cold weather - I'm not, and I've noticed how the additional length makes the ends easier to dry out and tangle, too. Maybe you need a heavier and/or more slippery sealant to help minimize the knotting. That helped me. I still gets lots of SSKs, but there are far fewer when I consistently use a heavier, slippery-er (made up a word ) moisturizer and sealant.

Be encouraged, sis! The trim may be just what you needed to get the healthy progress you want!

Thanks hun, here's my end of year length check, didnt quite make it. I put in yarn locs to hopefully help me get over this hump.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	End of year 2013.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	10354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yarn locs.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	10355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yarn twists.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	10356
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

17. Likes AStone, CCmomof5 liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast