Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@TrinicanbeautyI sometimes let my twist out morph into a big juicy stretched puff. Bun at night, then shake it out in the morn. Haven't worn a wash n go in a couple months. Hopefully I can find a cool setting hooded dryer. My hair is thick and takes a long time to dry and been so busy.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Thanks hivierhair, TrinicanBeauty thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking about posting in ere, then got the notification that there was a new post from Olahh just as I sat down at my desk. Perfect timing!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinicanBeauty View Post
    Welcome, welcome! @ Urbanite and Onnica. Just join right in.

@ assia: LOL @ "went into hiding." When I bun, they're hardly ever the "smooth & sleek" kinds. It's usually messy, fuzzy and doesn't pull at my edges. (Sometimes they do get at my nape though; but if I feel pulling, I just readjust it)

@ Olahh: Congrats on your progress. Your hair looks so healthy! During the time between your washes, do you keep one main style or do you change it up (outside of twists -> twist-outs, and the like)? Just curious. My hair somewhat "locks" into its style. If it's twists, after untwisting I'll have to seriously detangle before trying a fresh look. Sure I can bun it, but it'll be lumpy, lol. Even starting from a (wet) bun, it'll join into clumps of hair that I have to detangle when I let it down. So, I try to get a style that will last a week and then wash and restyle. For me, it's just easier to transition when wet. Oddly enough, the "locking"/large clumping doesn't happen when I do wash and go's.

Speaking of WNG's, how many of you still do them? Do you think you'll continue?

@ hivierhair: I feel you on the detangling woes. The struggle is real, lol. I'm not sure if it's because I distracted when doing it (TV, computer), my method (carefulness & finger-detangling combo), or if I'm just slow, haha.

Y'all can add me to the Lazy Team, lol. I've been so busy and my hair has been on the back burner as a result of it. I went almost 3 wks without washing (I usually wash once/week), although I did one rinsing. I've been having some pretty jacked buns, too, but hopefully no one will remember in a few weeks, lol. I'll be trying to get back to loving on my hair and balancing life. Haven't done a real length check, so not sure of any progress (or setbacks) at the moment. I think I'll give it a couple more weeks and hopefully, I'll see a [good] difference.
    I agree with everything you said in this post, TrinicanBeauty!! My buns are never sleek, even when I wet bun. I gave up on that dream and just started embracing my frizz!

My hair does the same kind of "locking" into a style that you mentioned. I spritz my hair with a water/aloe vera juice mixture several times a week, and that helps prevent too much matting when I'm consistent. But, like you, I get the clumping/locking going on no matter what style I wear, I just try to keep it under control.

Wash 'n go's? It's a no for me. I'm afraid of the aftermath. I'm not going to say I won't do them ever again, but if I do, it will have to be coming up to a weekend where I'd have a whole day to dedicate to detangling, because I'm afraid it would be that bad. I won't know just how bad it would be until I try it, and I just don't know when that will be....

Quote Originally Posted by NowIamnappy View Post
    I only wet bun otherwise my hair turns out frizzy, I also move the location of my buns even though I love the top knot butn I also slick back my bun with flaxseed gel that I make and then tie a scarf. If I dont slick down my hair with a scarf I will always have frizz. So sometimes, it may look super taunt but its not, and if I feel extra pulling in the morning I redo the bun so its not pulling my edges.

ETA: Ladies I think Im less than an inch away from Waist Length! I wasnt trying to take any length checks but I had to go to my brothers wedding two weeks ago and I had my twists in and wanted to do a fancier updo so I took down my twists in a rush and when I finally got to detangling and doing a trim, I kept finding extremely long pieces of shed hair so I stretched and it easily almost touched the indentation on my waist. I was so psyched. Hopefully by the end of November it will be official.
    Yay for your progress, NIAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olahh View Post
    @TrinicanbeautyI sometimes let my twist out morph into a big juicy stretched puff. Bun at night, then shake it out in the morn. Haven't worn a wash n go in a couple months. Hopefully I can find a cool setting hooded dryer. My hair is thick and takes a long time to dry and been so busy.
    I've done that in-between baid-outs and wash days. But I still deal with the clumping issues mentioned above. I just end up wearing lumpy, frizzy buns.
    Please update us if you find the dryer. My hair also takes forever and a day to dry - maybe I'd do more with this mane if I had a good hooded dryer.

4. Thanks NowIamnappy thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ hivierhair: Aww, shucks Thanks, I'm glad that my progress has been an inspiration for you. I'm sure you'll reach your goals, just continue to stay motivated. BTW I love these little mini reviews you give us. I'm so tempted to grab a bottle of Shea Moisture, but I really want to finish my current bottle of shampoo (else it'll probably never get used, lol).

@ NIAN: Congrats (in advance) girly! Half an inch?! Psh, you got this lol. Side note: I've got to try flaxseed gel. I've been faithful to IC Fantasia since...long time. I'm pretty content with it, but everyone keeps praising flaxseed gel...I promise you I'm not a PJ! Lol, I'm just curious.

@ Olahh: Ah cool, thanks. I'm right there with you on the thick hair situation, lol. I don't really mind a damp head, but my goodness, the SSKs! I didn't have too much of an issue with them until I started playing with WNGs again. I sometimes watch videos from aliciajamesmusic on YouTube and she often says she learned how to make WNGs work for her, but somehow I always miss the secret *shrug*. If I could do WNGs all the time, well, I'd probably do it 60% of the time, lol (I like variety). But since I have a hair goal in mind, I'm trying to avoid avoidable tangles. I'll admit that I sometimes throw caution to the wind, though. I...kinda rambled, lol. Sorry ;o)

@ CCmomof5: So, I'm not alone?! Phew, lol. I have some aloe vera in my fridge that I haven't used since God-knows-when; I should probably try what you do. It may make my life easier, and I'm all about that lol. I can't stretch my WNGs (yet) without wetting and detangling daily, but when I do that, my tangles aren't too bad. I just notice more SSKs (unless it's all in my head).
    Growing Naturally since 2003
    A Kinky-Coily-Fuzzy Nap
    Current Length - WL (Aiming for Hiplength)

I love me some Jesus <3

6. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Likes hivierhair, NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ hivierhair: Aww, shucks Thanks, I'm glad that my progress has been an inspiration for you. I'm sure you'll reach your goals, just continue to stay motivated. BTW I love these little mini reviews you give us. I'm so tempted to grab a bottle of Shea Moisture, but I really want to finish my current bottle of shampoo (else it'll probably never get used, lol).

@ NIAN: Congrats (in advance) girly! Half an inch?! Psh, you got this lol. Side note: I've got to try flaxseed gel. I've been faithful to IC Fantasia since...long time. I'm pretty content with it, but everyone keeps praising flaxseed gel...I promise you I'm not a PJ! Lol, I'm just curious.

@ Olahh: Ah cool, thanks. I'm right there with you on the thick hair situation, lol. I don't really mind a damp head, but my goodness, the SSKs! I didn't have too much of an issue with them until I started playing with WNGs again. I sometimes watch videos from aliciajamesmusic on YouTube and she often says she learned how to make WNGs work for her, but somehow I always miss the secret *shrug*. If I could do WNGs all the time, well, I'd probably do it 60% of the time, lol (I like variety). But since I have a hair goal in mind, I'm trying to avoid avoidable tangles. I'll admit that I sometimes throw caution to the wind, though. I...kinda rambled, lol. Sorry ;o)

@ CCmomof5: So, I'm not alone?! Phew, lol. I have some aloe vera in my fridge that I haven't used since God-knows-when; I should probably try what you do. It may make my life easier, and I'm all about that lol. I can't stretch my WNGs (yet) without wetting and detangling daily, but when I do that, my tangles aren't too bad. I just notice more SSKs (unless it's all in my head).

Awwww, thank you!

Also, I totally feel you on the avoiding avoidable tangles. That is why I don't wash and go it takes long enough to detangle when it's stretched.

@Nian and Olahh

You both have the thickest hair I have ever seen! 0.0..
    Thank you to whoever panked me!!

8. Thanks Olahh, NowIamnappy thanked for this post
    Likes TrinicanBeauty, NowIamnappy liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try it Try it!! I make it myself, I just followed Naptural 85's youtube video. The flaxseeds I got at whole foods for like $3 or $4 its so worth. I use it on my face as well and whip it with shea butter, my skin really likes it.

Thanks CCMOM and Trinician Beauty!! I love the support from you ladies.

Just made a huge jar of flaxseed gel. Can't wait to use it tonight
    Last edited by NowIamnappy; 10-08-2013 at 01:36 AM.
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

10. Likes TrinicanBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*pokes head in, looks around*

I was lurking on another hair board and saw a thread titled "Waist Length Challenge 2015" and realized 1) November 2015 will mark my 20th nappiversary and 2) the hair at the left corner of my nape, which has always been home to my thickest and coarsest strands, has officially reached APL.

So now I'm wondering what could happen if, starting next month, I embark on a two-year focused program with the goal of reaching WL at my longest layers. I don't expect to reach full WL in two years (or four, or five...maybe six) but considering my hair is already the longest it's ever been anything extra will be gravy.

I still have to think about my regimen but I'm pretty sure it will involve a great deal of protective styling, mainly via twists. I have been thinking about stretching my loose hair to bun it but I'm afraid of too much manipulation. I find also as my hair gets longer that I'm slowly incorporating more protein because my strands are so fine.

Lemme think about it...I may see y'all next month...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

12. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, how's everybody doing? Almost a month has flown by (and soooo quickly). I'm supposed to be babying my hair (and myself), but have still been slacking and looking half a hot mess *shh*. However, one thing I have discovered is that oil rinses are awesome for my hair (even when I'm lazy and/or don't have time to moisturize throughout the week). Anybody else do them? I got the idea from some YouTubers and have been doing it for like the last month and a half. It has really helped me combat dryness.

@ NIAN : My Fantasia gel is almost out. I'm practically counting down, lol... just a matter of time. I really want to try flaxseed gel. $3-$4 is not bad at all. I need to find a Whole Foods by me.
    Growing Naturally since 2003
    A Kinky-Coily-Fuzzy Nap
    Current Length - WL (Aiming for Hiplength)

I love me some Jesus <3

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waves hello to all the ladies, I hope everyone is doing well. The past month I was trying out some different hair products and my hair was not having it! So Im back to what works well for me. Anywho I'm debating should I do a length check now or just wait for the end of the year.. decisions decisions. Whats going on with everyone else? @TrinicianBeauty have you tried the flaxseed gel yet?
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

15. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ladies! I haven't done much with my hair lately. Been super busy with family, work and dissertation. Mostly been wearing buns or chunky braid outs pulled back with a headband, or into a low ponytail. HOWEVER, I've stumbled upon what might be my new regular moisturizer - and it's a conditioner. Several days ago I couldn't find my Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (which I guess is also a basically conditioner) so I used my Raw Shea Restorative Conditioner, and since then, my hair has been super moisturized! I think I'll keep experimenting with it and if I keep getting these results, it will become a staple moisturizer.

Anyone else use a conditioner for their moisturizer on a regular basis?

I need to do a length check - I'll do it by the end of the year for sure.

17. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    Hey ladies! I haven't done much with my hair lately. Been super busy with family, work and dissertation. Mostly been wearing buns or chunky braid outs pulled back with a headband, or into a low ponytail. HOWEVER, I've stumbled upon what might be my new regular moisturizer - and it's a conditioner. Several days ago I couldn't find my Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (which I guess is also a basically conditioner) so I used my Raw Shea Restorative Conditioner, and since then, my hair has been super moisturized! I think I'll keep experimenting with it and if I keep getting these results, it will become a staple moisturizer.

Anyone else use a conditioner for their moisturizer on a regular basis?

I need to do a length check - I'll do it by the end of the year for sure.
    I love that conditioner also, I have actually experimented with using it as a moisturizer before I may go back to it. I technically use a conditioner to moisturize on a regular basis because there is conditioner in the moisturizer. Behentrimonium methosulfate is similar to benentrimonium chloride or stearalkonium chloride in that they are all conditioners and just about whatever I use as a leave in or moisturizer has behentrimonium methosulfate in it. I like it and I don't think I will go back to using moisturizers that don't have conditioner ingredients in them. This makes my life so much easier. I really did like that restorative conditioner, I found it to be a bit waxy after a while but that is generally how I feel about straight shea butter so that doesn't surprise me.

I will also do a length check by the end of the year. It is highly unlikely that I will make waist length by then though. I believe I am at least grazing waist length but not by so much that I will hit it in only a month or two.
    Last edited by hivierhair; 11-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Thank you to whoever panked me!!

19. Likes CCmomof5 liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast