Likes Likes:  2
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much do you pay to get twists??

Hi all!

I have never had my hair twisted before, so I am trying to get a ball park estimate on how much I should expect to pay. I would like to avoid overpaying unknowingly.

Here are the facts:

- I am only using my hair (no extensions), which is about 12-18 inches long (BSL)
    -I want small two-strand twists (not micro)

Additionally, how long do twists normally last??

Thanks so much, I really could use any advice since this is my first time! I've done them myself in the past, but now that my hair is longer I would like to get them done professionally as a treat to myself so that they will hopefully last longer.
    Last edited by Ashlorraine; 06-17-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlorraine View Post
    I've done them myself in the past, but now that my hair is longer I would like to get them done professionally as a treat to myself so that they will hopefully last longer.
    OhmyGod someone answer this quick! This is exactly what's on my mind after finishing my twists, taking way too long for me to do on my own. Hope we get an answer soon!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on what type of shop you may go to. If you go to a natural salon they may charge you $50 due to the length of your hair. If you go to the salon in the black community it could cost more or less. I would say 45-65 dollars. The style could be TST or Flat Twists in a style. As for how long it may last, it depends on your texture and hair type. I know in general I always get frizz 2 1/2 wks in to any hair style. Just look around and ask for some prices of local salons they may charge more for the length. thickness and density of your hair

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you on that! I like the style but it takes me way too long now, and they don't last long enough for it to be worth it!

5. Likes renee1970 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently looked into this. I was quoted between $40 to $65 just for my own hair. I was also told it could take 4 to 5 hours to do. It takes me a little over 2 hours to do myself and I get to catch up on movies. For me, it's not worth the money for something that's going to last 2 weeks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree. It may take a long time for you to do it yourself however, it is worth the time and the effort. You get rewarded with a hairstyle that doesn't cost a thing. That money could go to other materials...gas or projects

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

8. Likes CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I paid around $100 about 2 and a half years ago. The place I went charged by the hour - $30 per hour - and because I have a lot of hair, it took over 3 hours.

Although it takes me way longer than 3 hours, it's not worth it to me to pay anyone else for a style I can do myself, unless my hair is going to get super pampered in the process. I hope you find a place that will do that, along with the style!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only gone once to a salon to have my hair twisted as a b'day gift to myself. That was @ 2 years ago. I spent $65 for regular twists on my short hair. I had gone once before to talk with the stylist and watch her work on someone else and I did like her. It was a definite treat to have my hair done by someone else. It lasted @ 4-5 days...when I do my own twists, they really only last 2-3 days. I haven't had any reason to go back.
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear what you're saying about the luxury aspect, but admit the first thing that popped into my mind was - why would you pay someone to do a simple style that you can do yourself?
    I also hear your concern about the length of time it will take to finish and how long the finished style will hold up.
    Hopefully in your dry climate, it will hold for at least one week.
    I wear twists a lot. In my humid climate, combined with daily showers, I redo at least half my twists every morning to keep them looking fresh for work. Leaving them in a few days results in mats, which have to be separated.
    If that's you in your avatar, I would think you could make it easier on yourself by rotating quarters - doing one quarter in the morning and one quarter in the evening.
    Because of showers, I doubt you'll get much more than one week out of this style, no matter who does it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bithiya View Post
    I hear what you're saying about the luxury aspect, but admit the first thing that popped into my mind was - why would you pay someone to do a simple style that you can do yourself?
    I also hear your concern about the length of time it will take to finish and how long the finished style will hold up.
    Hopefully in your dry climate, it will hold for at least one week.
    I wear twists a lot. In my humid climate, combined with daily showers, I redo at least half my twists every morning to keep them looking fresh for work. Leaving them in a few days results in mats, which have to be separated.
    If that's you in your avatar, I would think you could make it easier on yourself by rotating quarters - doing one quarter in the morning and one quarter in the evening.
    Because of showers, I doubt you'll get much more than one week out of this style, no matter who does it.
    You know...I think you are RIGHT haha. I think I was trying to convince myself out of it, hoping that if I got it professionally done it would somehow last longer. But it may not be worth the money if I can do it myself.

Yes that's me in my avatar, but that was a while back. My hair is probably twice as long now. The last time I did twists (near 6 months ago, picture below) it took 5-6 hours, and that was doing it quickly without worrying about getting the roots tight enough...so my roots always get poofy, haha

Name:  385250_10151890246227524_1044505769_n.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  11.6 KB

Maybe I'll treat myself to something else nice...like a massage lol, and instead just devote a weekend to doing my hair well.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice!
    Last edited by Ashlorraine; 06-19-2013 at 05:55 AM.