Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tracee Ellis Ross doesn't want you to want her hair

Found this on BGLH and wanted to share. I'm digging the Hair Love campaign.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/06...-want-my-hair/

Tracee Ellis Ross is widely considered a natural hair idol, but sheís sending the message that she wants people to spend less time wanting her hair and more time loving their own hair. On Friday she launched the ĎHair Love!í campaign, encouraging naturals to embrace whatever texture they have. The idea for the campaign was sparked by a photo circulating on Instagram that shows a black girl crying with the caption, ďThat moment you realize, you donít have Tracee Ellis Rossís Hair.Ē

In a YouTube video launching the Hair Love! campaign Miss Ross explained her reaction to the photo, and a bit of her hair history.
    On her reaction to the Instagram photo
    Hysterical. That made me laugh with tearsÖ. But in my comments, my caption underneath, I started to express some stuff that I feel like I should take to a further level and bring to you. So, first thing I want to say is thank you. I genuinely am honored and tickled and excited by the fact that people like my hair. I mean Iím a human being and itís really nice when people like something about you. Especially when they like something that you honestly have worked so hard on and that you used to hate. I used to hate my hair. My hair was so much work. Itís still a lot of work. But itís a lot of work with a lot of payoff now. But itís been a journey for me.
    On people saying she has nice hair because sheís mixed
    Someone mentioned Iím mixed. So my Dad is white and my Mom is black and maybe thatís why I have this very special hair. Itís not true people. We all have different textures, different ethnicities, different mixes, weíve all got different curl patterns and, just speaking for myself Iíve had a journey of figuring this hair out. This hair is a lot of work. Itís confusing. And people donít just tell you how to do it. This new natural hair wave thatís going on, thank God. I wish someone would have shared some of that stuff with me when I was younger. I had to figure it out for myself. I had a relaxer in my hair, I had to grow it out. That was hard. I didnít grow it by cutting it. I cut bangs that was dumb. I used to sit at the beauty shop all day on Saturdays all through high school. I used to wake my mom up early so she could press my hair out. I used to sleep in rollers and get a crook in my neck. My hair has been a journey.
    On not liking her hair in the past
    At the same time I donít want you to want my hairÖ Iím of the school of love what you got. For me, the reason my hair was such a battle is because I was trying to make it something it wasnít. I wanted the hair that somebody else had. And because of that I was damaging my hair, trying to beat it into submission, trying to make it something it wasnít, trying to make it slip into my face unconsciously. I was trying to do all of those things to it and as a result I was ruining and damaging the hair that I was given.
    On why she loves her hair
    I love my hair because itís big. I love my hair because itís a reflection of my soul. Itís dense, itís kinky, itís soft, itís textured, itís difficult, itís easy and itís fun. Thatís why I love my hair.
    Love it! Love everything about it! To participate in the Hair Love! campaign, upload a video to YouTube describing your hair in 5 words or less, and explaining why you love it.

And check out Traceeís full video;
    ~Love the hair you have~

2. Thanks KoilyLocGirl, TrinicanBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes bigpuff 02, coco_kinkygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting. Love that instagram!!! So true for so many of us!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want her hair. It might come with her Cookie Monster eyes.
    http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Geo...on%20Dance.gif
    Why, yes! I am happy! How did you know?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^

~Love the hair you have~

6. Likes dayna, Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww, fuzzy_slippers that's not nice!
    *giggles a little bit, though, with MommieDearest*
    Last edited by dayna; 06-18-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes Karibana, gilroygal, TrinicanBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's cool for her to make a statement like this, though. This part is especially cool...

At the same time I don’t want you to want my hair… I’m of the school of love what you got. For me, the reason my hair was such a battle is because I was trying to make it something it wasn’t. I wanted the hair that somebody else had. And because of that I was damaging my hair, trying to beat it into submission, trying to make it something it wasn’t, trying to make it slip into my face unconsciously. I was trying to do all of those things to it and as a result I was ruining and damaging the hair that I was given.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuzzy, I am in the same boat. I fall in love with my hair everytime I look at its styles, curls... On another note, I think it is great for her to start the campaign to tell others ( you know some people don't listen to us "common folk") as a celebrity to embrace yourself. Especially when you see icon such as Beyonce and many more who don't show their hair.

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

11. Likes TrinicanBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy_slippers View Post
    I don't want her hair. It might come with her Cookie Monster eyes.
    Lmao!!!!! I don't want her hair but I think her campaign is great!
    BC: 12.4.06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just playing "angel's advocate" here, but does anyone find it odd/interesting that old "celebrities" that don't seem to be doing much else at the moment (career-wise) are latching on to the natural hair movement via youtube and natural hair blogs? Tracee Elise Ross and Kim Coles come to mind. Just an observation. I just think its interesting and doubt that they would be as concerned about this space if they had other projects in the works.

14. Thanks Intellexual, hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The time in between mainstream gigs could definitely give them time to reflect on what it could mean to be a blacked <insert the otherwise primary label>. That happens nearly without fail for musicians who don't latch onto the machine after meteoric buzz and/or a solitary hit/run. Given your mention in this particular segment of blacked working creative types, especially given the impact that image can have in some areas, I also believe it interesting.

I feel like they're doing a lot better than folk who sort of went at drug culture, gang violence, and other ethnically engendered sociopolitical issues of personal significance (in decades prior). It also seems less faddish and pop culture specific than what became of the aesthetic representations of the black power movement which ultimately leveraged monolithic depictions of some aesthetic features of visible African descent as correlating with hostility and violent subversion of established authority.

The accessibility of this seeming wave of creative types (beside the outstanding everyday brothers and sisters who've spoken up and out), speaking tangibly about their features and appreciating rather than decidedly assimilating them, could do a lot of "organic" advertisement to counter the blaxploitation, Cointelpro, and White supremacist purgatory which blacked features have been toiling beneath. The internet is an amazing platform to get around White folk and their mainstream TV/radio/magazines etc.

I'm sure folk in relevant profitable ventures are ruminating on converting and/or branding celebrities and/or personalities to take stake or regain ground against any such movements. Control now is at times more important than the profit potential of the unknown. It could be difficult to get into a board meeting and offer that blacked people will swing that pendulum back hard to make sure they don't threaten White folk or "come off" as too much for various practical and social ends. Intriguing sort of slow-play of human chess. So long as the internet remains relatively "open", I think such developments will end up being great for the People.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 06-20-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

16. Thanks fuzzy_slippers thanked for this post
    Likes LBellatrix, caprimom liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast