Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ebonyquean4u View Post
    Just playing "angel's advocate" here, but does anyone find it odd/interesting that old "celebrities" that don't seem to be doing much else at the moment (career-wise) are latching on to the natural hair movement via youtube and natural hair blogs? Tracee Elise Ross and Kim Coles come to mind. Just an observation. I just think its interesting and doubt that they would be as concerned about this space if they had other projects in the works.
    No. The current status of their careers makes no difference to me. I don't think they're "latching onto" the natural hair movement. Meaning, I don't find anything gimmicky or insincere about their approach. If you want to know about the kind of tactics that rub me the wrong way, there's a thread elsewhere on this board that fits the bill.

Projects or no, the women you mentioned still have to deal with their hair. I just think that they know that women are talking about natural hair and want to join us in sharing their insights.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

2. Likes Ororo, KB liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post

No. The current status of their careers makes no difference to me. I don't think they're "latching onto" the natural hair movement. Meaning, I don't find anything gimmicky or insincere about their approach. If you want to know about the kind of tactics that rub me the wrong way, there's a thread elsewhere on this board that fits the bill.

Projects or no, the women you mentioned still have to deal with their hair. I just think that they know that women are talking about natural hair and want to join us in sharing their insights.
    Agreed. Also not to mention the fact that Tracee and Kim have actually been a part of the napptural community for quite some time now.

Now Andre Walker on the other hand....
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

4. Likes Ororo, MommieDearest liked this post
    Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

IDK. I feel sometimes that people confuse someone wanting their hair (or anything else) with hating their own hair. Just because I "want" your hair doesn't mean I hate mine. We need to relax and let people want what they want without trying to shove morals down their throats. I like her hair. I want Brandy's hair/wig, but that in no way means that I hate or even dislike my own texture.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by candiecane908partdeux View Post
    IDK. I feel sometimes that people confuse someone wanting their hair (or anything else) with hating their own hair. Just because I "want" your hair doesn't mean I hate mine. We need to relax and let people want what they want without trying to shove morals down their throats. I like her hair. I want Brandy's hair/wig, but that in no way means that I hate or even dislike my own texture.
    Yes. But the fact (IMO) is that many people have the capacity to "want" other folks' [fill in the blank] to the point of obsession and self-loathing. In this case, hair. Why are weaves and relaxers so popular? Why is there a need for sites like this one? Black women have been taught that they (we) are not supposed to be satisfied with their own texture. Especially if they have 4a/b/c hair. (I'm not a hair-typing stan, but I'll use it in a pinch to make a point.)

They believe that what they have isn't good enough. Furthermore, within natural circles, I've noticed something disturbing. There are women who go natural and then act disappointed when they learn that they have that kinky, nappy stuff on their heads, instead of 3a/b springy curls. (Supposedly, the latter texture is easier. Yet in reality I know that all black-hair can be depicted as being a pain in the *bleep*. It just depends on who you talk to.)

Hence, I think it's important for folks like Tracee to send the message that people need to learn to appreciate what they have rather than what they assume is superior. In spite of your level of comfort, there are people out there who need to hear her message.
    Last edited by Claire76; 06-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never understood the hype of Tracee's hair like some napturals. To me, she has the standard mixed person's hair, nothing special (no shade).
    However I really dug her video and message. She has such an awesome personality!

8. Likes Claire76, Ororo, bigpuff 02 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    Yes. But the fact (IMO) is that many people have the capacity to "want" other folks' [fill in the blank] to the point of obsession and self-loathing. In this case, hair. Why are weaves and relaxers so popular? Why is there a need for sites like this one? Black women have been taught that they (we) are not supposed to be satisfied with their own texture. Especially if they have 4a/b/c hair. (I'm not a hair-typing stan, but I'll use it in a pinch to make a point.) ...In spite of your level of comfort, there are people out there who need to hear her message.
    Again, Agreed

"like" and "want" are two different words with different meanings (obviously), and yes sometimes word choice is semantics but sometimes it really belies how someone is feeling. In a community of people grappling with being told that their hair is "less than" it's completely naive - IMO - to look at the larger napptural community and not see that some hair textures are more coveted than others, and that some nappies have swapped one hair alteration (straightening) for another (getting it curly). I'm not saying "all" because there is no "all". I'm just saying there's no point in pretending that it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    I've never understood the hype of Tracee's hair like some napturals. To me, she has the standard mixed person's hair, nothing special (no shade).
    However I really dug her video and message. She has such an awesome personality!
    OffTopic - You're looking FAB KB!
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

10. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    OffTopic - You're looking FAB KB!
    This!^ 10characters
    My Blog

12. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo, gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh!!! Thx ladies!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that any "self-love" message is much needed in a society where there is always some "standard" of beauty that is unattainable for most. I will be the first to say that growing up I ALWAYS thought that people with hair like hers had it "better" than I did. My hair was nappy and NEEDED to be chemically treated per the people in my life. I TOTALLY get where she is coming from. I mean, how many times have we seen posts on here where people have been told "Yeah, but you can go natural because you have that GOOD hair"? Likewise, many of us have had the opposite experience. The fact that there is a need for Nappturality pretty much sums it up for me. If MOST of us had grown up being shown how to take care of and appreciate our locks, then we would not have been on here as much as we have been, soaking up information like a sponge.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

15. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracie seems like a really down to earth person and she's a talented actress.
    Last edited by N@turalBeauty; 06-22-2013 at 03:13 AM.

17. Likes TrinicanBeauty liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast