Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently a PhD student in Counseling Psychology. I am a Therapist (licensed in Michigan and Indiana) and Chemical Addictions Counselor (licensed in Michigan). I have been dreadlocked for 8+ years. The devil is a liar. You grow them locs. You keep them neat. You keep them groomed (washed...don't let them stink...and you know what I MEAN).

You grow them dog-gonned locs! You be beautifully sexy with them. You...(y'all ready???)

You. Do. You.

*(lol/hugs)*
    Karma is a boomerrang that will bust you in the eye.
    PrincessDrRe, 2004
    The grass that is lush and green can very well be growing over a septic tank.
    Anabwi, 2008

SaPhia...it will return!

2. Likes Claire76, nickib, fitzlocs, NappilyT liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fellow 2 year locer with a bit of a looser curl pattern, and IT major here.

I notice that twisting is your method of choice. Do you use metal clips in your hair to hold the twists in place until they are dry? I found that, when I chose to twist, it turned out into a hot mess if I didn't a) start out with slight damp roots and b) leave the clips in until the twists were bone dry. They had to be completely dry before removing the clips. It caused them to "set" in the twist and stay longer. (similar to the way a wetset works, when a person puts damp hair in rollers, dries it, and then removes the rollers and the curls stay. This never works well of you remove the rollers before the hair is completely dry. That is how clipping freshly twisted locs worked for me.)

Of course how frizzy or crazy you choose to wear your locs, and your "mishaps" as you learn to style them should not be subject to comment by people you consider "friends". You should be able to walk around with straight free form budding messy locs and they should still stfu. On that that topic, I agree with what previous posters have said. Refuse to discuss the topic with them. Don't ask for advice or give any explanation. I really think guys who try to grow locs catch it worse than ladies in some aspects.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On more thing I suggest is maybe finding a way to rig up two mirrors across from each other so you can see the back of your head. The medicine cabinet mirror in my bathroom Is right across from the bathroom door, so I put up a large mirror on that door. I can move the door and the medicine cabinet door just so in different angles so i can see the back of my head, hands free, while doing my locs. This has been invaluable, I am so completely lost with doing my head without my mirrors set up.

If you can find a way to rig up two or three mirrors so that you can see the back of your head and have your hands free to do your hair while being able to see back there, you will be shocked at how much of a better job you will be able to do on your hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are "lucky" to have more than one mirror Coalblacklocs. I need to get another one! One good things about long mature locs, is you don't have to worry about the back of your head.

ITA w/PrincessDrRe
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, not really. I've moved twice since I found out how well a second hands free mirror works. I've found ways to make second mirrors happen with each house. . Door mirrors are only about $6 at Walmart. At our current house, with our buckwild chillens, I've gone through 3 bathroom mirrors in the past 6 months or so. We finally figured out The proper hardware to keep it up and stable through the kids' door shennanigans (this $3 Velcro type things rather than the sticky pads) and the last one has been up for a while.

I think a good mirror setup is within reach for a lot of people, and it really makes a huge difference when you're first learning how do your own hair.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 07-09-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta cosign on the 2 mirror setup. I just finished retwisting and wouldn't be able to do the back at all without it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its YOUR hair and they need to understand that you aren't going to change it for anyone. the beauty of locs is that everyone's locks
    look different. they are not supposed to look the same anyway. i haven't tried interlocking but then again my locs aren't that long yet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12