Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Starting Today.

Hello All!, sorry this is such a long post ... but I'm here to introduce myself & get some feedback on my thoughts/plans for my transitioning process because starting today, I will be transitioning from texlaxed to natural.

To give some background on why I want to do this, coming into my senior year of high school my hair was suffering & not retaining length at this time I was relaxed. My stylist kept throwing around the idea of going natural but I didn't really like the idea and I didn't really know anything but natural hair. I just wasn't comfortable the idea. I transitioned for 2 months [maybe 3] but each time I'd go to the stylist she's bowfry and flat iron my hair until it was bone straight anyways. This didn't help the health of my hair & it certainly didn't help me understand my hair. If anything it was frustrating because I'd have silky straight hair for two days or less & then have to figure out how to deal with the frizzing that turned into to puffing at my roots until my next hair appointment. My stylist then took it upon herself to go ahead & give me a big chop and I was thrown completely into the natural world. I wasn't prepared.

Needless to say in about a month & a half I went in to get my hair texturized & at that point I was done with stylist & I was determined to care for my own hair. So starting college I grew my hair out & cared for it myself. I'd only go in for touchups. My hair flourished over the years but I was still never able to make it past should length. I was constantly going through ups & downs with my hair growth.

I just graduated college and this past year took a toll not only my hair but all aspects of my life from my weight to my wallet ... I'm sure there are many of you that know the stress & excitement of graduating. Anyways, I watched my hair change drastically over a year. I'm now at neck length & my hair is tired, thirsty, breaking off ... it's a mess and in the worst shape I've seen it yet.

I want to change that because I've come to find that whenever I think of beautiful hair, healthy hair, the hair I'd want on My head, it's big, it's kinky, it's extra thick and it's curly. Soo ... why keep relaxing & damaging my hair if that's the complete opposite of what I envision. I came to this realization today & I want to do it all again, but I want to do it right this time.

Here's my plan:
    -My last touchup & trim was 5 weeks ago.
    -I've had success growing my hair out in the past with braid/twist extensions, so I'm going to start with that. I'd like to get Havana Twists & I've read that you should only keep them in for 3 to 6 weeks at a time. So I'm thinking to alternate between that & having my hair out from month to month.
    -I'd also like to start doing henna treatments, I've read that that has strengthening and thickening peoples hair & really helped the overall health of their hair & scalp.
    -& apart from that I'd just give my hair the TLC it needs until it's reached a comfortable length. I'm not sure how long I plan to transition for but I know I need to start somewhere & I figured making it publicly official & getting feedback & advice & tips will help me do it right this time.

Let me know if this is a good start & if there's anything else I really need to know. I'll be combing through the threads, youtube & even pinterest for all the info & inspiration I can get! Sorry this is soo long, but thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Abstraction; 07-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.

2. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applaud your audacity to speak up for your aspirations in this regard. That does seem like a solid plan and good way to kick off your transition. The twists can give you and your hair a bit of a reliable rest cycle (changing if not also decreasing the type of care needed), as you acclimate to treating your natural hair well. Congrats on completing your degree also and welcome!
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Intellexual! I figured that in order to make this plan real I needed to vocalize it & having a solid starting point. & from skimming through this site before I applied it seemed like a great place to get the info & support I'd need.

But you are very right, I want to ease into this new hair lifestyle haha! & I am hoping that each time I remove the twists I'll get a better feel for the natural new growth & what to expect. I want to transition for a year or more ... but as my dad says, I'm all about instant gratification, so I think having the twists will be a great way to hide my hair & change things up from month to month

5. Likes Intellexual liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post
    But you are very right, I want to ease into this new hair lifestyle haha! & I am hoping that each time I remove the twists I'll get a better feel for the natural new growth & what to expect. I want to transition for a year or more ... but as my dad says, I'm all about instant gratification, so I think having the twists will be a great way to hide my hair & change things up from month to month
    You have a really good plan, Abstraction! I did something similar when I transitioned - wore braids or kinky twists for a month to 6 weeks at a time, and each time I took the twists out, I would marvel at my new growth, and cut off a couple inches of relaxed hair. I grew to really hate those stringy relaxed ends! I did this for a year and a half, before finally cutting off the last of the relaxer.

You've come to the right place for support and suggestions, so WELCOME! Wishing you the best in your transition!

7. Thanks Abstraction thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post