Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThummyB View Post
    I think that the writers do a good job of calling out her faults/narcissism. I'm not a huge fan of the story line of the main character...primarily because of the narcissistic piece, but I really enjoy the stories/lives of the other women.
    +1
    Piper works my every nerve but I like all of the supporting characters and their stories are very interesting. (really want to see Crazy Eyes' story after seeing her family)

I will likely never pick up the book because Piper is a narcissistic mess. I went to Amazon and started reading a few reviews of her book and started lol as so many people stated how smug the writer came across, and her repetion of how "blonde, attractive, and educated she is" (after all, she went to Smith! *eye roll*)

@Swing: I get it. I used to like Weeds but was so annoyed when Romany Malco's (?) character became interested in her, I was totally over it. She was flightly, and annoying. I think this show has enough weight placed on the ancillary characters that I can get into, and ultimately...Piper's in prison...so no matter how high she starts flying, something always pulls her back to Earth As long as Piper keeps "suffering" in prison I'll watch, once she gets out and back to her wonderful life, I'm out.

And I didnt mind the bit of nudity, it is jail. I just remember the full body shot with the black woman with locs. Maybe it would have been less offensive if they did the same with one of the white inmates...better yet if it was a white inmate that wasnt in shape.....

I appreciate them having a transgender actress on there....I find her storyline the most interesting...
    Last edited by Savantrice; 07-31-2013 at 11:33 PM.

2. Likes Natural2003 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swingbolder View Post
    so I would be interested in hearing some black women's perspective on this show. To those of you who like it, what is there to recommend it?
    I'm not sure the race of the person who wrote this but this is the only thing I've found that briefly discusses the African-American characters on the show

http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.co...w-rainbow.html

And I'm so not here for Piper, at this point I'm more interested in the stories of the other women on the show. I've heard a lot of people say they don't like that she's so narcissistic, but the show is based on a memoir she wrote about her time in jail. So I assume a memoir is going to be about others but primarily about the person who wrote the book.
    Carpe Diem

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swingbolder View Post
    I heard a lot of great things about this show on various websites I read, so I started to watch. Couldn't get past episode 3, when the black lady inmate with the crazy eyes was hitting on blondie. It was just so stereotypical and reminded me of what I hated about Weeds (same creator): Basically all the people of color supporting characters -- mostly criminal -- kept falling in love with the white female lead. Ugh, no thanks. Other things annoy me about this show too. Yet I keep hearing how great this show is, so I would be interested in hearing some black women's perspective on this show. To those of you who like it, what is there to recommend it?
    Thank you!!! I detest the writing on Weeds and knowing that this series comes from the same creator has deterred me from watching so far in spite of the rave reviews it gets. If I do go back on my word and watch it one day, it'll only be because I know the source material isn't from Jenji Kohan.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoy this show... Yes, Piper is annoying/self-absorbed/entitled... But, if you can get past that, you really get to the meat of the show... I really appreciate the back stories of the other supporting characters... It gives all of the characters a well-rounded origin story... I appreciate seeing so many beautiful women of color on screen as fully-actualized/appreciated characters... Also, I LOVE that they have Laverne Cox (transgender actress) as one of the main characters too!! She's one of my FAVS!!!!
    ~The Artist Formerly Known as Kanye~
    My Youtube
    My Twittah...

"Naw, shawty, eat yo breakfiss". (c) Intel

6. Likes gigglezk liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the first 2 episodes boring but after that, I quickly fell in love with the show. No one on the show kisses Piper's *** which I appreciate and the backstories on each of the inmate is so raw and telling that it leaves you thinking afterwards. I LOVEEEE that Laverne Cox on the show, I found her story the most fascinating and heartbreaking. I like that the show tells the story of women that you don't see on TV. There's the story of Sophia, a transgendered woman or Miss Claudette or a Jesus obsessed Meth addict, people you don't normally see on TV unless their extras.

Hands-down my favorite is Taystee followed closely by Crazy Eyes and Miss Claudette. Taryn(sp) Manning(Pennstucky) is convincing as a meth addictI can't wait to watch when it comes back on.
    To my "Pank Guardian Angel"- Thank you for making me pank!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I LOVE this show. Crazy Eye....her character makes you laugh and breaks your heart. She made me tear up a couple of times.

Pennstucky be KILLING it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodT View Post
    I really enjoy this show... Yes, Piper is annoying/self-absorbed/entitled... !
    And I really do think that's the point. And that flaw snowballs into situation after situation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't wear a weave in jail
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

11. Likes tjolims liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodT View Post
    I really enjoy this show... Yes, Piper is annoying/self-absorbed/entitled... But, if you can get past that, you really get to the meat of the show... I really appreciate the back stories of the other supporting characters... It gives all of the characters a well-rounded origin story... I appreciate seeing so many beautiful women of color on screen as fully-actualized/appreciated characters... Also, I LOVE that they have Laverne Cox (transgender actress) as one of the main characters too!! She's one of my FAVS!!!!
    Man, I want to see Orange!

I remember reading this post on HuffPo, where OITNB's creator talked about bringing her show to viewers. The diversity in the cast is intentional.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Pixie Hollow: Home of glitter and other sparkle!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm already on episode 12 and I absolutely love this show! I also love how they include the inmates background stories. My favorites are: Taystee, Crazy Eyes and Poussey. I actually like Piper's brother too, in a weird sort of way. Especially when he was talking to Larry about Piper and he said, "I'm gonna go ahead and guess that one of the issues here is your need to say that a person is exactly something." I loved that, because society is always trying to fit everyone in a certain box and they can't handle it when their unable to do so.

Oh and Crazy Eyes performing Shakespeare #priceless
    The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am.

Twitter: Letti_Bug

14. Likes gigglezk liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast