Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this show and I LOVE House of Cards. Like for real, I stan for that show! I think I watched both series in about 3 days and then rewatched them. I love what Netflix is doing with coming with original shows.

Piper is supposed to be everything negative y'all are seeing. This whole poor little Becky act is exactly how the writers want to portray her. I couldn't even get through the actual book. She got on my last nerve. In fact, I didn't finish it. I got like 4 chapters in and returned it to the library. The show is a different beast and I enjoy that. I enjoy learning the back stories of the characters. I can't stand Pennsatucky, but I love her. !@#$%^& be crazy! And in the name of jeezus, lol. I enjoy all of the characters and I love how each story shapes them differently.

2. Likes Natural2003, MissChelle liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the cast members were on Melissa Perry's show:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/tel...a-harris-perry

So I'm into episode 4. I'm glad I gave it another chance, it's getting better. Thanks for everyone who gave their opinions in this thread. The WOC stories are now being showcased more, and it's GREAT seeing such a diverse group of women. Not just in terms of race and orientation and class, but also in AGE. It's great seeing older women characters who actually have their own narratives, and aren't just peripherally portrayed (i.e., someone's mother or grandmother). We oldies have lives that are interesting and layered, but you hardly ever see this in TV or movies.
    Last edited by swingbolder; 08-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.

4. Likes Savantrice liked this post
    Pixie Hollow: Home of glitter and other sparkle!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**SPOILER ALERT*** For everyone who hasn't seen all the episodes just yet.

I almost wanted to cry when Crazy Eyes asked Piper why everyone called her Crazy Eyes.

And it was bittersweet when Taystee got out, because earlier in that episode when she spoke about how she was raised in the system, you already knew that she was going to be right back in there.
    The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am.

Twitter: Letti_Bug

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poussey and Taystee's friendship is heartwarming. Those actresses have mad chemistry! Just finished watching the whole season. Love the show.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard about this series when the woman whose life it's based on did an episode of "The Moth" (storytelling podcast series). It was a nice story but it had a strong whiff of "white woman saved by magical POC" so when I heard it was going to be a TV show I decided to pass. How-EVER...after reading this thread, I'm tempted to give it a try. If swing was turned around, maybe I'll be too...
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

9. Likes gigglezk liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    I heard about this series when the woman whose life it's based on did an episode of "The Moth" (storytelling podcast series). It was a nice story but it had a strong whiff of "white woman saved by magical POC" so when I heard it was going to be a TV show I decided to pass. How-EVER...after reading this thread, I'm tempted to give it a try. If swing was turned around, maybe I'll be too...
    I can safely say the show doesn't have the magical POC save the poor rich white girl. They thankfully have their own rich lives and back stories and while they were nice most of them weren't trying to save her raggedy narcissistic azz

11. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok Just finished watching this on Net-Free and I LOVED IT!!!! The only problem was I was unable to see episode 11. That's apparently the one where Crazy Eyes reveals her story, and Pipers bf tell the story on the radio. Would someone please share Crazy Eyes story with me?!?
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    after reading this thread, I'm tempted to give it a try. If swing was turned around, maybe I'll be too...
    The one thing that remains annoying about this show is that however nuanced and complex the supporting non-white characters are, their stories are still subordinate to blondie's. And no amount of mocking her upper-class privilege is going to subvert this as long as she's getting the lion's share of the screen time. That said, I really enjoyed watching this and look forward to Season 2.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissChelle View Post
    Ok Just finished watching this on Net-Free and I LOVED IT!!!! The only problem was I was unable to see episode 11. That's apparently the one where Crazy Eyes reveals her story, and Pipers bf tell the story on the radio. Would someone please share Crazy Eyes story with me?!?
    They didn't really delve into her story. Larry says unkind things about Crazy Eyes and is hurt, the epidose where her parents visit is as far as season 1 goes into her story. I'm hoping Season 2 tells more of her story.
    Carpe Diem

15. Thanks MissChelle thanked for this post
    Likes MissChelle liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast