Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black man with 22 kids & 14 baby mamas may get reality show !!!

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO BOYCOTT THIS DISGRACE TO OUR COMMUNITY !! http://naturallymoi.com/2013/07/news...-reality-show/
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it's a disgrace, but he must make a living to provide for his children. Do I want this garbage in the media? No. But is it necessary for Mr. Shaw? Possibly because there's lessons to be learned ... and there won't be any change unless he experience. The opportunity seems great initially however Mr. Shaw needs to think before he puts his business on the street - public scrutiny. The show could either improve his life or worsen. Whether we support it or not, Mr. Shaw won't see a dime. Although he may be a disgrace to the community, I'm viewing it as a man who made mistakes trying to correct things. I rather a reality show than selling drugs in the community, thieving or nothing.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't always agree with Dr. Watkins but he's right on point with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post
    Yes it's a disgrace, but he must make a living to provide for his children.
    Whatever happened to washing dishes? Working at Home Depot? Or is he completely unemployable at any regular job? Oh wait...he can't support 22 kids on those salaries? IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING!!! and at least shows he has something resembling some kind of dignity. That's the other alternative besides reality show and a life of crime...

I'm beyond tired of black folks pimping and cooning themselves out to mainstream media for the almighty dollar. If I was one of his baby mamas I wouldn't let him or his cameras anywhere near me or my kid(s).
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Whatever happened to washing dishes? Working at Home Depot? Or is he completely unemployable at any regular job? Oh wait...he can't support 22 kids on those salaries? IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING!!! and at least shows he has something resembling some kind of dignity. That's the other alternative besides reality show and a life of crime...

I'm beyond tired of black folks pimping and cooning themselves out to mainstream media for the almighty dollar. If I was one of his baby mamas I wouldn't let him or his cameras anywhere near me or my kid(s).

I totally agree, esp about the part I put in bold letters. No good can come of that except a trend of more black folks finding even more degrading ways of cooning & pimping to get a reality show instead of using the values we used to have back in the day. Why can't all those mamas & older kids get off their lazy behinds ,find jobs, & everybody work? Getting a reality show just makes them look like a bunch of lazy folks looking for a quick way to get paid by just acting the fool & cooning for white folks. Back in the day we were raised different. Respect for elders, faith in God,pride in yourself, don't act like the monkeys & idiots they think we are, put education at the top of the list & do your best in school so you can go on to college, proper behavior at home, church, school, & in public.An honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Don't waste your money on material things you don't need. That's the way I was raised back in segregation days in the 60's. Neighbors could scold any kid they saw acting up. If you were poor you worked hard at any job you could get. Whole families got by like that; parents working & kids working when they could & saving their money. My mom's family did & she & her bro put themselves thru college like that. Same for many of my classmates' families. We often talk about this when we have reunions. No shame in dishwashing, being a maid, janitor, etc. It was WORK. Back in the 80s-90s we lost a lot of that proud black culture of the 70s & civil rights days when the crack epidemic wrecked neighborhoods & families. Then the worst of us came out...drugging, pimping, cooning, rap music with nasty anti woman lyrics, kids dropping out of school or being arrested for crimes. I'm a just retired teacher & believe me I saw all that mess hitting the kids at school. It would be awful if that fool gets a reality show..more negative images for the GOP & racists to put out there along with the "welfare queens".criminals,thugs etc. They've already tried to gut the voting rights bill to keep us from voting , stonewall anything Obama tries to do..even if it's something they were in favor of before he was elected, put out false rumors about him & the black community & they've got Texas millionaire money behind them. The more negative images we put out there & allow them to spread,the easier it is for them to find reasons to profile us & take us down, because our lives are not valued. That fact is what's REALLY behind Trayvon Martin's killing. Just another black THUG dead. Think about it.
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't all those mamas & older kids get off their lazy behinds ,find jobs, & everybody work?
    I agree. Both parents should be financially responsible for the child/children.

If I met a man who told me he had 22 children from 14 different women, I think the conversation would stop right there. Have these people not heard of STDs
    Last edited by orangegoldfish; 07-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reality show is not along the same lines as a life of crime. He's currently doing nothing.... so of course the show is an improvement and an honest living.
    If I was one of his baby mamas I wouldn't let him or his cameras anywhere near me or my kid(s).
    I definitely agree. I'd stand in line for my cut tho. $5K may not be much, but it will make a greater dent than $5 dollars from a minimum wage job. (assuming pay is $50K). We can disapprove by not watching. At least Mr. Shaw will have one season where he can provide for all his kids.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he & all his mamas had used birth control this wouldn't be an issue. Irresponsibility all around. He seems to be one of those guys that are proud of how many women he can knock up with with no thoughts ahead of time of how he's going to provide for them or their kids. Skewed idea of masculinity, surely indicative of massive insecurity about what it means to be a man or just downright stupidity. And any woman who'd lay down with such a man is at the very least as dumb as he is. Not thinking about the effect on all those kids of having such a living situation. Being ridiculed & talked about at school. Broke up many a classroom argument/ fight over " Your momma such a h** she don't even know who yo' daddy is" or " Yo' daddy no good ,don't pay y'all no mind 'cause he got baby mamas all over town, don't take care of none o' y'all" "He done left yo' mama for another woman 'cause he don't want y'all" Nice things for a kid to hear at school,right? Especially if it's TRUE.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I put my seat down in your amen corner, NubianPrize, let me respond to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post
    A reality show is not along the same lines as a life of crime. He's currently doing nothing.... so of course the show is an improvement and an honest living. I definitely agree. I'd stand in line for my cut tho. $5K may not be much, but it will make a greater dent than $5 dollars from a minimum wage job. (assuming pay is $50K). We can disapprove by not watching. At least Mr. Shaw will have one season where he can provide for all his kids.
    You missed my point: There is an improvement between a life of crime and a reality show and that's acting like an honest, responsible individual. In short: doing what most of us are doing on a daily basis but get no credit or fame for because God forbid black people ever be shown as being just like everybody else...

I do agree with you about standing in line to get my cut, even if that meant taking his sorry azz to court. Maybe the producers are paying the baby mamas to be on camera...again, if that was me, it wouldn't be happening. But then again I wouldn't have gotten with this fool in the first damn place...and with that said...

NubianPrize, I agree with EVERYTHING you said but I'm going to pull some parts out:

Quote Originally Posted by NubianPrize View Post
    [/B][/U]Back in the day we were raised different. Respect for elders, faith in God,pride in yourself, don't act like the monkeys & idiots they think we are, put education at the top of the list & do your best in school so you can go on to college, proper behavior at home, church, school, & in public.An honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Don't waste your money on material things you don't need. That's the way I was raised back in segregation days in the 60's. Neighbors could scold any kid they saw acting up. If you were poor you worked hard at any job you could get. Whole families got by like that; parents working & kids working when they could & saving their money. My mom's family did & she & her bro put themselves thru college like that. Same for many of my classmates' families. We often talk about this when we have reunions. No shame in dishwashing, being a maid, janitor, etc. It was WORK.
    That's how I was raised in (allegedly) post-segregation days in the 70s. I grew up in the suburbs but my mom taught in the inner city (in the same school system she grew up in) and certain values such as hard work, respect for yourself and your family and neighbors, etc. transcended class. My parents never let us forget how fortunate my sisters and I were and I was surrounded by many examples of black folks both in the city and the suburbs just putting their heads down and getting to it and through it. Because WE KNEW what they thought of us and (for better or worse) we weren't intentionally trying to add to that image.

My mom retired from teaching in the mid-1990s and I've often told her she could write a book on the decline of the inner city over the years. Again, she GREW UP and went to school in the inner city (born in the 40s).

The more negative images we put out there & allow them to spread,the easier it is for them to find reasons to profile us & take us down, because our lives are not valued. That fact is what's REALLY behind Trayvon Martin's killing. Just another black THUG dead. Think about it.
    I'm glad you said this because the little bit I've been contributing to the conversation around recent events -- a little bit because I've got a lot of other stuff going on right now that needs my full and my best attention -- has been an attempt to get away from simplistic conclusions and more into the deep, complicated ish behind this.

Now on the one hand we have to be careful not to blame Trayvon's death on how black folks present in the world because if anything his death demonstrates that it doesn't really matter how we present. I've had that come home to me in a big way recently. All my solid upbringing, my paying taxes on time, my lack of a criminal record, etc. doesn't matter: My skin color automatically negates that. Now if I'd been raised differently I might have taken that to mean that they (white folks) are right, my life isn't of value, and so why bother caring about myself or my family or the community or anything else? And I'm saying this as someone who grew up (relatively) privileged...why wouldn't someone else with less privilege agree with me?

How-EVER, on the other hand...I really wish some of us would stop giving our enemies more ammunition. This man obviously doesn't have -- and has probably never had -- enough GOOD PEOPLE around him to know any better. For better or worse, black folks know better than anybody else that money is what makes things happen here and maybe that's why so many of us don't care about how we're seen by others. (Never mind TV...the men with the money are still the most admired and who's got the most money in the 'hood?) Maybe we've decided that responsibility ship's long sailed and it's every n***a for him/herself? I don't know...I wish I knew how we could turn all this around...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 07-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post

you can not feed 22 mouths washing dishes. if all the proceeds of the show goes to the kids, i'm all for it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's what it boils down to IMO. Which takes precedence: the image of the community or feeding your children? I can't be thinking of myself with 22 lives at stake. Either way this man will be damned for his actions, might as well be compensated and pay child support. It's so easy to say should've, could've and compare our lives when this man most likely didn't have the same upbringing. His issue is deeper than the surface. Although his mother claims she taught him about "the birds & bees", for Orlando Shaw to be a father at 14 speaks volumes. So currently he's 33 with 22 kids and about to be a grandfather (16 yr. old daughter) which doesn't sit well with him. I'm just hoping lessons are learned, cycles are broken and something good come from the experience whether I agree or disagree with his choices. His life isn't a reflection of me; I don't categorize other black men by his actions, or care about the perceptions of another culture. The damage is already done, just make some changes for the better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast