Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Twists On Thick Coarse Hair

Hello everyone,

Whenever I 2-strand twist my hair, there seems to be around 1/4 - 1/2 inch of hair at the root that puffs up all 'fro-like and frizzy. I have 4c hair, coarse and extremely dense. How can I achieve 2-strand twists that are tight and neat at the root? Is there anyway to do this without putting in teeny micro-twists or pulling hella hard on my scalp?

FYI, I twisted my hair while it was damp with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and the twists are in between small and medium. I try to start near my scalp and twist teeny-tiny sections for a bit before moving down and twisting more normal, but the root still doesn't seem to hold firmly.

Any suggestions?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I just saw a post several threads down that asks my question too. I'm going to read that one. Still, feel free if you want to reply here, please.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are twisting on damp hair the roots will naturally puff up while drying. But three tips:

1) You can tie your hair down with a scarf immediately afterward to flatten your damp twists, or use bobby pins to flatten them too.

When I twist, I finger comb each section of hair I'm twisting and pull my hair taunt going downward. Detangled hair reduces some of the puffiness, although after a few days it may get puffy again if I don't tie it down flat.

2) You can twist your hair while it's dry. After you apply your moisturizing product (Curl Smoothie), put your hair in large braids or twists to stretch and air dry. After your hair is dry or not as damp you can then proceed to style.

I usually twist my hair this way, from dry hair sectioned off in larger braids.

3) After you apply your moisturizing product, you can use a butter or oil on your hair. The butter/oil will help the hair dry faster and if it is a heavy butter/oil (like shea butter or castor/sesame seed oil) it will also weigh down the hair.

This method is tricky because if you use too much butter/oil your hair will be greasy. Or if your hair doesn't like a butter/oil it may mess up the style you are going for.

Good luck!
    ~jj08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read here on NP that some ladies start off with a braid at the scalp then switch to two-strand twists for the balance. This also seems to work for me to keep the twists tight at the scalp. HTH...
    BC'd: June 2010
    Last perm: End of 2009

5. Thanks lilybean thanked for this post
    Likes trueimage15, Ororo liked this post