Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dubai, anyone?

For the past few months (for some reason) I have been wanting to travel to Dubai. It seems like such a hot spot right now, but one thing I DON'T know for sure what there is exactly to do there as a traveler/visitor.

Is there anyone who has traveled to Dubai recently who would like to share their experience? Could you tell me what things of interest there are, and sights to see?

2. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I visited in 09, not so recent sorry but I must say go for it! I went there in the summer and it was unbearably hot!
    There's so much to do and see, the 5 days I spent certainly was not enough. An old college friend of mine lives there and she took me places every single day, there was not a moment of staying at her house laying around.
    places I visited: ski Dubai, aquarium/underwater zoo at the mall, wild wadi water park, the gold market, jumeirah beach ( i believe it's man-made) Went clubbing at min a salaam, I'm not a clubbing person but you know what they say about when you go to Rome....I had a great time, they played the latest music and a wide variety from american hip hop, reggae, to African, I was impressed.
    the Burj al Arab is a beautiful place to visit too, they have several upscale bars and restaurants and it is beautifully decorated.
    The people were generally nice, but there was a time the wait staff asked everyone else but me if they needed anything. Hmm oh well I will visit again though! It's a very beautiful city and quite liberal compared to other middle eastern cities but you still have to be careful not to offend them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to travel to Dubai all the time for work. I'm there 3-5 times a year. It is HOT all the damn time. Even in December there's a humid heat. What types of things do you like to do? Are you looking to go solo or with a group? If you go to the malls be prepared to be there for HOURS. The main malls, The Mall of Emirates and Dubai Mall are insanely large. Ski Dubai is a must see as well as the Aquarium. They have desert safari tours that are cheesey but nice. Also, if you plan to drink I would suggest stocking up at the Duty Free in the airport. IDC if the bars there serve alcohol, I NEVER drink in public.
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

5. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    atim is offline Validated and Nappified
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks MissChelle and Sahha for your VERY helpful suggestions...Now I know that there's more to do there than going to malls...however that desert heat doesn't sound very appealing!

7. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is the party scene there? beaches? heard it's conservative over there. someone also told me if you get raped there they arrest you - how true is that? i have a friend there.

9. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    nzgirl is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't do any clubbing when I was there as I was a solo traveler and don't even go to clubs by myself at home. But I had a blast. I basically got on one of those hop on hop off tour buses and went everywhere. Loved the spice and gold markets, looking at the crazy architecture, I even had fun in the malls, which cracked me up.Who puts a shark tank through a mall? Hilarious. I went to a beach on women's day which was interesting and pretty.The heat though... the heat. I almost passed out on my first day because I went through my water in twenty minutes and insisted on riding on the outside section of the bus so I could see everything. So bring a hat with shade and a huge water bottle and plan for frequent water stops.How long are you planning to go for? I spent three days there and honestly felt that was enough.

11. Likes ValleyOfDecision, afrocherie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post
    how is the party scene there? beaches? heard it's conservative over there. someone also told me if you get raped there they arrest you - how true is that? i have a friend there.
    The clubs I went to were very nice and upscale in the Mina Salaam area. The Djs keep up with Western music and also play some African and Middle Eastern belly shaking music. It was a nice experience.
    The beaches are nice and clean, I'm told most of them are man-made. Yes, women do wear bikinis out there but once you leave, cover up.
    I don't know about what happens when a woman gets raped but just be careful. Don't entertain losers by talking back or anything like that. We may get away with cursing out guys in the US but who knows what may happen in another country. I once told off an irritating guy at a club in South Africa and he came up to me ready to punch me. I had to apologize, hated to do it but I was thousands of miles away from home, last thing I needed was to end up in hospital or morgue! Idiots are everywhere though, just don't let the situation escalate.
    The heat in the summer time is unbearable, like nzgirl, I almost passed out and I'm talking the few minutes from the parking lot to the building.
    Last edited by afrocherie; 10-05-2014 at 06:38 PM.

13. Likes Vavoon liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ got damn! sorry you had to go through that in South Africa. yes you really have to be careful when you're overseas. i learned my lesson here, even though New Zealand is known as a peaceful country sort've.
    Dubai sounds interesting and its on my bucket list.

15. Likes afrocherie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm working on putting a travel club together for sisters. This solo travel is for the birds lol! Kidding! I enjoy it but of late I have been traveling with friends who have the same interests as me, it has been so much fun!
    google nubianne travel club!

17. Likes Vavoon liked this post
    atim is offline Validated and Nappified
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dubai, anyone?

A travel club for sisters sounds like fun! Will definitely check out the website.

19. Likes afrocherie liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast