Some of you may know, some may not... I had to surgery to repair a broken arm in July and now I have titanium plates and screws in there... but that's not the end of it. I had a general anesthetic of course, and was under for a number of hours. I recovered from the surgery OK, but my hair didn't. It's coming out.

General anesthetic can have a devastating effect on your hair. It shocks the hair follicles and they can stop producing hair. Then they enter a shedding phase and this can go on for months with no growth. The hair you have left sheds, and all the follicles temporarily stop producing.

That is what has happened to me and I got the worst of it. It's shedding out in handfuls. The coils are all gone, the texture is gone, it's just a tangled jungle of unworkable, shedding, messy tangled web of breakage. Impossible to work with and I don't even want to deal with it right now. I still have a lot of hair, and there are no bald patches, but the shedding is extreme and my hair feels dry and dead and lifeless. It is looking thin at the ends and I have lost over 6 inches of length.

So this morning I had my partner (handy that he's a hairdresser) twist it into big sections with the JBCO and now I'm going to cover it up and wait a little while before deciding what to do with it. I know that I need to leave it alone for a long time if I am to save any of it.

If anyone has some words of encouragement or suggestions, or similar experiences and what you did about it, I'd love to hear them about now.

~Dee~