Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sis...you KNOW what I've been through medically. So I'm proof your hair WILL recover. I followed the excellent advice given here...leave it alone, let it rest, treat it carefully, pamper it.

I wouldn't make any drastic decisions about how to move forward until you heal. If you have no issue with leaving it in twist and wrapping it up, the less you do the better. Your body is doing what it needs to do to focus on the most important thing that has to be healed first. The majority of its energy is going to the break. If you have to take pain meds for a while or antibiotics....it's all going to affect your hair. Your body has been shocked...violently. By surgery, by the break, by medicine.

The best thing you have going for you is your spirit. You are a strong, tough survivor. Look at all the hair you have rescued and recovered through this site.

It's gonna come back and flourish...you will reap what you've sown. Keep giving it time and love. It will come back. Sending you positive thoughts and love.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sorry to here that Dee. I did not know that general anesthesia does that? It makes sense though because it is a powerful drug. I have no doubt you will recover from this though. Have you considered biotin supplements for a little while? I am taking them for my hair loss issue and it does see to help a little, in addition to taking regular multi-vitamins. My bald/thin spots are starting to fill in. Good luck with everything!
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

3. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well today is a better day than yesterday. I am about to do a rinse and gentle detangle. I still get terrified over all the hair that comes out. I don't have any bald spots that I can notice which is a good thing. It seems to be shedding evenly across my entire scalp. I did notice coils returning in places...

But we will see what happens. I couldn't bring myself to wigging it. It just doesn't feel right. I'd rather cover up with a pretty bright scarf than someone else's hair. Besides my hair is still too thick to put a wig over. But that may change if my hair continues to shed like this.

Thank you all for your beautiful words of support. I am really enjoying the love and appreciate all the advice.

The arm is healing. I had a setback because I snapped a fat carrot without thinking and I am paying for that because a screw moved. Yikes.

I noticed some of yall vets aren't coming up as verified members (which gives you more access) I will go and upgrade you.

~Dee~

5. Likes Phia, hivierhair, uzuri liked this post
    Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

((HUGS)) I know that you will make it through this. Massage your scalp and use tea and herbs that have been proven to slow or halt hair fall. Most of all we want your arm to heal up right, even if you have to slow down a bit :-)
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dee, I'm sorry you are going through this ordeal. It is just another stressor while you are trying to get well.

I am experiencing something similar after a recent surgery. After my surgery, each day when I took my satin bonnet off there would be large amounts of hair inside.

I decided to cut layers in my hair as I'm not ready/capable to cut my hair on my own and not well enough to go get it done. It has drastically reduced my shedding, but unfortunately, I think I've lost some of my curl pattern.

The only advice I can offer is a bit of advice my mom gave. I was feeling sorry for myself for worrying about something as trivial as my appearance while I'm trying to recover. She said there is no shame in that and no need to feel guilty. Wanting to look like you did before your setback is about feeling like you are on track to putting a surgery behind you and are closer to where you were before. Do what is easiest and pleasing to you. If you can genuinely smile after, you're on the right track.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

9. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I've cut it all off, I have gone through a few phases.
    Phase 1 was the "thank God it's done" fun phase where there was a big relief.
    Phase 2 was the "OMG it's still shedding" phase when my hair continued to shed (very depressing and scary).
    Phase 3 was the "I need big earrings" and makeup all the time phase.
    Phase 4 was the "Everyone is staring at me and wanting to touch my hair and I hate that" phase.
    Phase 5 was the "Go ahead, stare. I am fierce" phase
    Phase 6 which I am in now is the accessorizing phase where I am loving skinny scarves, hair bands, little twists, gold cuffs and I am experimenting with additions like kinky twists and cornrow extensions on the crown, a little color and even have worked a straw set wig over leave-in treatments. I have come to terms with the fact that I may have to wear a wig on occasion because of the thin spots (almost bald areas) developing where it completely shed out. Not a good look on anyone. But it's all good. It's growing.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

11. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Dee, your story reads sorta like mine after I lost all of my hair to chemo five years ago. Almost word for word. And it's all good in the end, as you are finding Continued happy trails!!

13. Thanks Lockolatte, deecoily thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry to hear that sending huggs and love your way.
    Last edited by Princess33; 12-08-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing well now

Thank God it is growing back. I don't have any bald areas any more and it's already 2 inches long in the places where it was shaved. Cutting back to an (almost) baldie is something I never thought I would do and honestly, if it weren't for the problem I had I probably would never have done it.

If you are thinking about doing something like this again, or big chopping for the first time, I highly recommend it because it is truly a learning experience of discovery.

I love my natural hair, long or short - it's me.

Dee
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

16. Likes OHR, meagan22, Soul Rebel liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345