Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    ...we've got to be kinder to ourselves.
    I believe most people, no matter what their racial makeup, have a hairline with thinner/more delicate/somewhat different hair type as compared to the rest of the scalp.
    But it does seem that many, if not most, of our people are obsessed with this because of the 'nappier' texture so common there.
    This is not unfounded, because we're talking about an exposed location, one that many people want on display for styles like single ponytails, buns, close-cropped hairdos and/or to show off the face.
    That being said, I myself have decided not to obsess on this, because to obsess eventually leads to taking actions such as aggressive brushing or application of heat/chemicals, which will sooner or later cause hair loss.

I'm finding that my edges are actually okay with the same products used for the rest of my head. No, they aren't "laid/layed like a relaxer", but that is not my goal.
    I have a soft- and a medium boar-bristle brush, but these get only occasional use - for instance, if I'm going to wear a headband that day.

I haven't tried any of the YouTube tricks - e.g., olive oil + EcoStyler Gel + scarf.
    A responder to a video demonstrating this technique was probably right when s/he said the particular YouTube girl has a hairtype that 'looks nappy but responds [flattens down] instantly to water'.
    The gist being, the end result is more dependent upon what hair type the person has than whatever concoction they are demonstrating.

I agree with LBellatrix's attitude that it is okay if one obviously does not have exactly the same texture all over the head.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with the posters who have stated that just letting your edges be seems to be the best way to promote growth/re-growth - if it is meant to be. I stopped trying to slick my edges down a couple years ago, and the side that has been thin for years (from damage during teenage relaxer & styling experimentation days) thickened up a little bit. Recently I've experienced thinning on the other side due to prolonged issues with seborrheic dermatitis, so I do occasionally massage those edges with tea tree oil diluted with a couple other oils, but I really think it's been the gentle treatment and use of no brushes that have helped promote healthy growth there.

I actually have no desire for my edges to lay slick anymore. I do lightly rub moisturizer on them in the direction I want them to go when I wear buns, but I never brush my edges, and I can't remember the last time I even used the satin scarf for the purpose of laying them down. This hair wasn't meant to ever be slick or straight, and after a long time of fighting it, I'm OK with that, now!

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I was one of those ladies that had to have slick edges. You would not know it today. I had to get use to being natural. Sometimes I want the tiny edges to fit into the loc but other then that I'm over the damaging gel habit. I had a few relapses in the beginning. To remedy that I gave all my various gels away so when the Jones hit me I could not feed it. Now I just use a soft bristle baby brush and keep it moving. My edges are making a slow recovery. I was very patchy around my edges when I first got loc'd. I have one area that to me looks as if a loc should be there but when I point it out to people they say it looks normal. It is what it is though.We shall see. I make sure the edges stay moist with daily spritz of leave-in conditioner and water. I would like to know more about the hair transplants. I just assumed it would be off the charts expensive. I would not get around the edges because it's slowly filling in. I would get it in my thinning crown area. I do a cool cover-up with it now. I gather a few locs together surrounding the thin area and secure with an open pin. t sounds like it would stick out and be very noticeable but you can't tell it's gathered at all. Cudos to me. Small area but I don't want it to get bigger so the transplant sounds like a good idea.Again,we shall see. Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen. Life is easier being our true selves. That is called self acceptance and we are all there or striving to get there. I went to a baby shower today and there were so many naturals there. I was so glad to see that. Even some of the kids. Then a lot of bhind length weaves so we still have a ways to go.LOL) I hope more woman will find love with their own God given hair and they can wear it as proudly and confidently as they wear the wigs and weaves. Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I am in Michigan. Which company did you go to? How long did it take before you began to see results?Could you share basic info of your experince with having a transplant. Any scars? Was it worth the money?Would you do it again? Any information will be appreciated. Thx. Be blessed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought that my edges were in great shape. As a child and even as a relaxed adult, I had what I affectionately refer to as sunflower edges. Then when I went natural, I still had it where my edges weren't thin, but they were shorter than the rest of my hair. It wasn't until about three years ago that I realized that my edges were shorter than everything else because of too much manipulation and a skinny band around my satin bonnet. Almost two years ago, I shaved my head and in the ensuing tim, I have purchased a satin pillow case. That is all I use now and I have virtually ZERO breakage in my edges! Either way, I don't care because my hair will do what it does and I will love her regardless.

Interstingly enough, my natural haired daughter refuses to slick ANYTHING! lol She only will use leave-in conditioner and hair oil in her hair. I can't even get her to try gel with her WnG's. Her hair is always a tiny bit frizzy when she pulls it back into a puff, but it just looks like "texture" instead of sloppy. I have grown so accustomed to seeing my teenage daughters confidence in this area and have come to like the look of her hair like that so much, that it is starting to irk me when I watch videos and see adults ritually slick their edges. LOL

7. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. That is indeed nice to hear. We have not mared your daughters concept of hair beauty with our learned( from the previous generations) bad and unhealthy hair habits.

9. Thanks apb1172 thanked for this post
    Likes apb1172 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My edges are definitely shorter than the rest of my hair (I always used to call it baby hair Lol). I never worried about it, but I did start seeing thinning when I was wearing braided extensions. I tend to leave them alone. They're completely resistant to styling products anyways, hehe. I try and moisturize my edges in particular twice a day though. After I wash my face in the morning and the evening cuz the water and face wash can really dry them out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low iron thinned out my edges. Supplements have helped tremendously.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that most people's edges regardless of hair texture (type 1 - type 4) are less dense than the rest of the hair. These areas are more susceptible to breakage and breakage is also more noticeable in those areas because there is simply less hair there.

On one hand have realistic expectations. Your edges naturally may continue to be less dense than other parts of the hair. Some people are blessed with ultra thick heads of hair, but everyone shouldn't expect their hair to look like that. From your avatar your hair looks nice to me, I don't see any major problems with your edges. =)

With all of that said I certainly do baby my edges (moisturize and seal 1-2x per day). I give them a little more TLC than the rest of my hair and hope for the best! lol Also castor oil is good for helping to improve thickness and growth.
    Last edited by Deloto; 01-11-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast