Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tell me about your edges.....

So for the longest time, I just assumed that my hair was just naturally thinner on the sides. My edges were never a concern because I’ve seen pictures of people with really bad edges (usually from relaxers or damage from weave) and I didn’t think my hair was that bad. However, now my hair is getting longer and I want to do more twists and protective styles. The thinning edges are starting to bug me because twists don’t look so great when all of them are medium size in most of your head and the ones on the edges are thin and scalpy (I can remedy this by doing mini-twists all over, but who has time for that?)

I’ve decided that I may be the culprit, slicking down brushing edges etc. But I’m curious to know, have any of you had thinner edges and did some of the suggested steps (castor oil, shea butter, no gel, not brushing, etc.) and saw noticeable improvement in the thickness of your edges?

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had thinner edges just time seem heal old wounds in my opinion. When I moisturize my hair I tend to give myself a good scalp massage particularly around the edges to circulate the growth there. I have notice some improvement but over all it is still thin but not damaging.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My edges have been very thin due to weaving. A few years ago, I began to leave out the hairline from these weaves, but still saw no improvement. After going natural, I was still manipulating this area by brushing it back and wearing buns and other styles that pulled the hairline.

Shaving my head has been the most fruitful thing for me because it forced my to leave that area alone. It's finally growing again and has filled in nicely so far. It is still thin, but growing slowly.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed mine thinning due to headbands and brushing. I'm currently on a "no comb/brush" challenge, so I've been just smoothing my edges with a moisturizer and my fingers. But I think I may step it up and include "no headbands" in this challenge.
    formerly SaPhia

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wayyyy back in the day I lost my edges twice due to too-tight braiding. What brought them back was TIME and NO MANIPULATION. Folks swear up and down XYZ oil and KYW grease grow edges back but I ain't buying it, sorry.

I see sisters on YT doing all kinds of stuff to have that neat hairline and I'm just like sheeeeeeiiii....99 percent of the time my edges STAY nappy no matter what style I'm wearing. Don't like 'em? Don't look at 'em!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

6. Thanks Lockolatte, Bithiya, amourese thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76, Mikalia42, Bithiya, Sohful1 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I could've sworn I read a post either here or on another hair board where someone said that black people were the only ones who obsessed over their edges. I don't know if that's true. But we've got to be kinder to ourselves.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

8. Likes Sohful1 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    ^ I could've sworn I read a post either here or on another hair board where someone said that black people were the only ones who obsessed over their edges. I don't know if that's true. But we've got to be kinder to ourselves.
    If it is true, I wouldn't be surprised...not one bit...

We have been taught that nappy hair in and of itself is so offensive that we have to camouflage, hide and/or destroy every hint of it. It's this thinking that has sisters walking around with five- and six-heads (that they may or may not be hiding under wigs) because they've basically ripped out their hair follicles trying to hide the nap.

The most I will do with my edges -- and again I rarely do this -- is do the old aloe vera gel/scarf trick. Other than that, it's like I've been saying: I'd rather have nappy edges than NO edges.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jamician Black Castor Oil and Tree Tree Oil, a little goes a long way about 4 drops each rubbed on my fingertips and gentle massaged on the edges daily. I cannot speak for anyone else but it has worked for me and I am glad I found this tip on this site. I also use a wide band satin bonnet . The wide band eliminates the tightness of an a regular bonnet and I have 2 so the bonnets can be rotated and kept cleaned. I also suffered from hairloss at the crown of my head from relaxer damage and this really helped get rid of the bald spot. I have my pictures posted on my wall. I do not have my picture prior to my bald spot because I was sad and I hated to look at the spot so I covered it up most of the time, big mistake, because my hair needed proper treatment, and I found something that worked for me and if sharing my experiences can help just one woman or man to believe and try this and obtain results it is worth me sharing. Continue to stay blessed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried Jamician Black Castor Oil only after having a hair transplant. If the hair is bald not amount of rubbing oil on it will make the follicle regrow. If you see the white bulb the hair follicle is gone and the hair will never grow back. That is the reason why I went natural and refused to put any type of chemical in my hair for (5) years. Finally, I got fed up and what to see a plastic surgeon that does hair transplants and now I am finally see growth and a lot of it. Now the JBCO works, but if the hair is completely gone again no oil will bring back that hair follicle. I had my surgery in June and I am trying to get the nerve to post pictures of my hair growth in dec. I was so frustrated with being bald on the sides and I am so thankful for hair growth now.
    Loving the natural me! : )

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine were damaged years ago due to relaxers. They are still not thick, but they are better than they were from not doing anything. People do obsess over having slicked down edges!! LOL, there is even some kinda edge slicker gel/pomade crap out now for people to lay down the edges. SMH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast