Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Lazy no more- 8 month protective style challenge

Hello All:

I've been natural for just over three years, in the beginning my hair grew at a fairly decent pace, but as I became comfortable (lazy) my hair growth declined and breakage occurred. I have resolved to get off the lazy track and challenge myself to treat me better by treating my hair better. So I decided to do protective styles over the next 8 months. My thought is to end the year committed to my hair and begin the year committed to my hair.

Protective Style:

Monthly:
    Braids- left in for 4 weeks, taken down, washed, deep condition, re-braided. Post progress on nappturality.

Bi monthly:
    Protein Treatment

Daily:
    Moisturize with water, seal with shea butter. Castor oil for the scalp twice weekly. Satin Bonnet every night.

Please join me, post what your protective style will be and the regime you will follow. Post up-dates so we can all celebrate in the success.

Happy Nappturals lets go!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is exactly the challenge I need, Even though I am already doing several challenges! I started growing my hair after I BC'ed my second loc set almost 3 years now but I find my hair stuck in the 7-10 inch range with a bunch breakage and hair loss in between. Not sure what caused my hair loss but I know my previous regimen only made matters worst. So far I have trimmed nearly 2 inches of damaged ends over the past 4 months and plan to trim at least an inch more before the year is up but my goal, for the first time since I have been natural (and I have been natural since forever) is to grow my natural hair long without locs. I do not like protective styles on my own hair because my hair is fine (I prefer "out" styles) but I need to retain maximum length and the weather is going to get cold soon...

Anyway here is my proposed regimen as of today:

Protective Style: two strand twists, mini-twists

I want twist my hair and keep for two weeks at a time. After two weeks, take down, shampoo wash, condition, then retwist.

Monthly: deep conditioning/protein treatment. May consider doing this bi-monthly

Daily or every other day:
    Moisturize (thinking of trying aloe Vera) and seal ends with coconut oil. Rub castor oil mixture on scalp (castor, rosemary and coconut oil) 3x a week. Satin scarf every night.

I will also post up dates
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

3. Thanks ibelvhim thanked for this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. It sounds like you are on the right track now. Your hair is a beautiful crown. Now you are treating it with the self love it deserves. Watch that hair recover and take off. I'm nappy locked for one and a half years. I am wearing a protective style now of pipe cleaner curls. My hope is that they will last at least three weeks. I hope they last through my hot flashes. That will be the greatest challenge for mine. I will wrap it each night and or do a pineapple to save the style and finger comb daily until time to wash again.

5. Thanks ibelvhim thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Shell:

Thanks for joining me! I am looking forward to seeing how long my hair will grow. I started this challenge two weeks before I posted on nappturality. This week marks week 4 for me and I am going to take down my current braids, wash, deep condition and rebraid this coming Saturday. One month down 7 to go! We can do this!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try this one.
    My protective styles are buns and twisted updos.

I use Avocado Butter/olive oil to seal, diluted Apple Cider Vinegar or vegetable glycerin soap to wash/clarify, and water as moisture.

I'm trying out the "Green House Effect" thing, as well, solely for added moisture.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll try this too! I need to focus on moisturizing my hair properly and trimming when necessary to get some of these SSKs undercontrol! I'll mostly bun my hair though I'll try to add cornrows and flat twists since those last longer.
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibelvhim View Post
    I've been natural for just over three years, in the beginning my hair grew at a fairly decent pace, but as I became comfortable (lazy) my hair growth declined and breakage occurred.
    Just one thing. Unless something has happened within your body, I doubt the rate of your hair growth has changed. Hair growth is a natural process that happens regardless of products or routines. All your efforts will go towards retaining growth but your hair won't grow any faster.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, month two is in progress. Over the weekend I washed, deep conditioned (overnight) with a olive oil/castor oil/ jojoba oil mixture. I opted for micro twists this time as the braids took entirely too long to remove.

I have maintained the daily moisturizing and sealing along with the satin bonnet every night! yea me!

I wanted to post a pic of my protective style but could not figure out how to do it. ;o(

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the correction!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I deep conditioned and re twisted my hair. the last time I did mini twists and they were cute but detangling it was a mess so I did twists slightly larger and may even go a little larger. I also had to modify my routine somewhat:

Protective Style: two strand twists (small or medium) with the occasional twist out in between (a couple of days prior to washing). I use some some sort of twist gel or glaze with initial twists only

I find it hard to wait 2 weeks before washing but I think I have to use less oil/less products on my scalp or just do bigger twists if I must wash weekly

Deep condition at least twice a month

Every other day or twice a week:
    Moisturize with aloe vera, vatika coconut oil and water spritz (daily was overkill and frizzed my twists) seal ends with coconut oil, when needed. Rub black castor oil rosemary 3x a week. Satin scarf every night.
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast