Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earthen~Blossom View Post
    In these situations I'll try to be cordial a few times in case I'm misinterpreting, but once I'm sure the person is purposely being stand-offish they get it right back. Actually once a girl came up to me and apologized for being like that. I had put her on ignore and she could pick up that it was in response to her behavior. Well she's pretty bytchy towards me again these days haha but I think it's a mix of jealousy/ our personalities not meshing. And I'm ok with that, not everyone is meant to be friends (or even friendly lol). Limiting your interactions with someone is better than being subject to their negative vibes.
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now. With this. She's not shy. She ~might~ be social awkward, but not my problem. I won't be rude to her but I won't go out of my way. I'm too busy focusing on getting up to speed on this job.
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 09-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I am now. With this. She's not shy. She's ~might~ be social awkward, but not my problem. I won't be rude to her but I won't go out of my way. I'm too busy focusing on getting up to speed on this job.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say and to me that's it in a nutshell. Who knows IF something is going on there, and if so WHAT but whatever the case it's about her, really.

I am a naturally friendly and gregarious person by nature. I don't need to be friends (in any way) outside of work but I do like to be friendLY (not friends, friendLY - there's a difference) in the workplace because if I'm going to be cooped up with folks for hours (or in the case of workplaces - days, weeks, months, years) it may as well be in an amicable environment. That said, if I meet someone who doesn't seem to want to engage in that way then I don't care that much either. I'm happy to leave them be to do whatever they need to do. I've actually had people change in a positive way towards me after feeling the Sting of the Ignore. lol
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say and to me that's it in a nutshell. Who knows IF something is going on there, and if so WHAT but whatever the case it's about her, really.

I am a naturally friendly and gregarious person by nature. I don't need to be friends (in any way) outside of work but I do like to be friendLY (not friends, friendLY - there's a difference) in the workplace because if I'm going to be cooped up with folks for hours (or in the case of workplaces - days, weeks, months, years) it may as well be in an amicable environment. That said, if I meet someone who doesn't seem to want to engage in that way then I don't care that much either. I'm happy to leave them be to do whatever they need to do. I've actually had people change in a positive way towards me after feeling the Sting of the Ignore. lol
    Yes to the bold. You summed it up just right.

She looked at me sort of funny today because I knew she was the person to get me the info I needed. I asked her. She looked a bit startled that I was talking to her, but she got it to me right away. As long as things run like that, we're good. She didn't have much to say when another co-worker started chatting with me about my time abroad. (He'd spent some time in Asia too and we had a dude show up in a suit today for an interview; that's something that gets people talking in a start-up 'cause suits aren't seen that much around these parts.)
    I'm going to chalk it up to her just being green and not the most socially dexterous. (Now let me go and fix that typo in the post you quoted. )
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 09-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you. I used to be like that in my twenties and I don't knock you for being nice to this person. However, some people just don't mesh. I think she sees your potential to move up and want to play some psychological game with you. If you are a nice person, continue to be nice to her because that's who you are. Nevertheless, I don't have time to figure out people and their issues anymore. I would keep it light and mirror her behavior. Hi, bye and have a good weekend. Be cool with everyone else in the office just in case this person is trying to start some rumors about you on the low. Maintain your professionalism (which is something you are doing anyway!) She might get shamed into treating you better by the other coworkers. To this day, I just don't understand why people conduct themselves like that in the workplace. Don't they know that you just might be her boss one day? It's so silly the way people act sometimes. Best wishes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nativity View Post
    I feel you. I used to be like that in my twenties and I don't knock you for being nice to this person. However, some people just don't mesh. I think she sees your potential to move up and want to play some psychological game with you. If you are a nice person, continue to be nice to her because that's who you are. Nevertheless, I don't have time to figure out people and their issues anymore. I would keep it light and mirror her behavior. Hi, bye and have a good weekend. Be cool with everyone else in the office just in case this person is trying to start some rumors about you on the low. Maintain your professionalism (which is something you are doing anyway!) She might get shamed into treating you better by the other coworkers. To this day, I just don't understand why people conduct themselves like that in the workplace. Don't they know that you just might be her boss one day? It's so silly the way people act sometimes. Best wishes.
    Ends up that her contract wasn't renewed. However, then the start-up did the dreaded pivot, and maybe two months later, I wasn't renewed along with many others and a few full-time employees got the axe too. (They'd gotten VC financing but weren't making enough and were spending too much; cost cutting is a b$%^h when you're considered a line item.)

What's funny is I guess she heard and I got notification from LinkedIn that she had browsed my profile. I wrote her a friendly note and, again, I think she was shocked. But come on, I was on a job hunt, so I was definitely watching the activity on my account. (Got an offer last Friday and accepted, so that's over; I'll update in this thread soon.)

So the silver lining in all of this is 1) I don't have to work with her at all and 2) I landed a much better job (that isn't a contract, so I have a bit more security and that's good.)
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 09-09-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooops old post
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 09-09-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123