Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After hearing about something Bill deBlasio's (black) wife said, I've decided I'm going to start saying "Oh, but we're one race...the HUMAN race" sarcastically as a coda to other statements. Case in point:

Yesterday while driving around a more chi-chi part of town (to get some cheap food from Trader Joe's, ironically) I noticed that there was a new salon open and it was a blow-dry bar. If you haven't heard of these, they've been picking up steam in the last few years. I think this may have been the chain that started it all but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I had this thought: What if I went in there with my nappy BAA and asked for a blowout? Of course I wouldn't get one because I decided years ago I would no longer pay people to f*** my hair up but it would be worth it to walk in there just to see how they would react. But wait...I shouldn't assume...because we're all one race, the HUMAN race, right?

Yeah, I kind of like this idea. Even if I'm just keeping it to myself...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really f*cked up what's happening to the Dominican Haitians in DR!!! The govt wants to stop the "Haitianization" of the country. Bullshit! Racist ideology at its finest! This is a human rights violation!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's articles like this that make WoC sideeye the feminist movement:

On a more serious note, to 'blacken' the name of the work and efforts of white women in the feminist movement and to portray them as the 'enemy' of women of colour is a great disservice not only to white women but also to women in general. In addition, it only serves to further divide women and empower patriarchy and misogyny. Seeing women blame each other for issues related to patriarchy is tragic. It is no accident that right-wing, religious, misogynist patriarchs are all too happy to recite post-colonial theory and cultural relativism to justify and perpetuate their power and cultural practices that restrict and oppress women of all colours races and cultures.
    Last edited by Karibana; 12-26-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That article has quite a few problematic passages. **shrug** I don't call myself a "feminist" as I don't need a title nor require a posse.

I dropped the title years ago when the president of the National Organization for Women went on national TV (circa 1995) and said that Black women supported the OJ verdict because Black women were used to getting beaten by Black men.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend just posted this on FB:

A quote from a new friend…

IMHO black people blame European 'white' people for what was done to them - by Jewish slave trading ship owners ... whom first brought British people from Ireland as well to work in the 13 colonies in the cities of New England - the Africans would come later - (in the end game in the USA - the African people were worth more than the PREVIOUSLY used British 'imports') ... they were bought and sold by Muslim traders (and others of African descent) via tribal warfare and expanded colonization of lands by those very same tribes ... years before the many European monarchs - those of the same ilk like the 'infamous' King Leopold of Belgium - when he did the same enslavement in the Congo with his dehumanizing treatment of people ... We can get beyond the old worn out, blame 'whitey' "Merry-Go-Round" if we open our minds and refuse to place victimhood and it's potent poisons in the place where it does not belong any longer (and place the poison, and it's residues in the dustbin of time -- an act that should have been done long ago ...) by refusing to categorize good, decent people (and their worth) to a world society by solely focusing on the exterior 'packaging' of people and look to the content of their character - which was an idea espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King - (by the way on whose day his honor is celebrated) were he alive today - I am sure he would have 'strong words' for those people whom continue to play the 'light vs. dark' blame game within the black community and even in other communities of color ... I think it is 'high time' to give this topic a rest ...

UGH!!!! So offensive. Then my friend who posted this tells me that the person he quoted this from is Black and "progressive"

You know what, I can't....

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that it was posted on Martin Luther King Jr. Day aside - because that's an American holiday and I don't know where these people are, - why would you post a photograph of a white woman sitting on a chair of a black woman in bondage? How does anyone think this is a good idea?

http://globalgrind.com/2014/01/21/da...otos-buro-247/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I've seen this and I stop my brain from trying to figure out what's going on, starting with how they found a sister willing to take part in this. And then there's this:

To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It's crap like that that makes me want to roll into a PETA office eating a bacon cheeseburger with a side of chicken fingers.

I gave up on "animal rights" organizations years ago after they chastised Katrina survivors for not taking care of their pets during the hurricane.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

9. Likes tjolims liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    ^It's crap like that that makes me want to roll into a PETA office eating a bacon cheeseburger with a side of chicken fingers.

I gave up on "animal rights" organizations years ago after they chastised Katrina survivors for not taking care of their pets during the hurricane.
    I am a hard core veg and I ABSOLUTELY. CANNOT. STAND. PETA. That post is yet another example of how they're a bunch of out of touch, privileged white folks who don't get it.

Karibana - blissfully that's not a human being, that's a mannequin. (still a terribad idea tho...)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^See I couldn't be bothered to read the articles about it.

A white girl's lament at how the lack of diversity in her yoga class makes her feel bad. I have never cussed out so much reading an article.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast