Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question STILL not sure what to do smh

Hey all,

After three years I'm still searching for the products that work best for my hair. I've wanted to love so many, but they just aren't doing what I need them to. It seems almost anything with either shea butter or coconut oil is a loss for me. My hair semi liked the shea moisture products but it just isn't moisturizing enough. The curl enhancing smoothie line gives me lots of dry ends/breakage. I added some olive oil and sweet almond oil to the deep treatment masque as a twisting cream. Was better but still feels more dry than I'd like for it to. Can anyone suggest anything that's not too pricey that maybe doesn't have either? I'm trying to get to the bottom of what my hair likes and dislikes and at this point I'm STILL not sure

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you applying products to dry hair? If you are, that might be part of the problem. I find that applying moisturizing product to damp (not soaking wet) hair gives me the best results. I like using a water/aloe vera juice spritz to dampen my hair, then I apply a moisturizing cream - for me, the SM Deep Treatment Masque works. After that I apply a little bit of oil on top - but not too much.

The only other cream I'd suggest to you is the Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream (which is more expensive than Shea Moisture products), and I don't need to apply oil when I use this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply! I do spritz my hair with water. I'll give the aloe vera and water spritz a try. It's like it wants to like it but seems to be missing just a little something something. Hope that helps. Thanks again!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing - do you twist, plait or braid your hair after you apply your moisturizer(s)? My hair ends up being wonderfully moisturized when I put it in big plaits or 3 strand twists after my spritz and application of creams and/or oil. It helps the hair to absorb the moisture better.

If you're willing to try a gel-like product, Shea Moisture's curling gel souffle has also helped my hair retain moisture. It may leave a sticky feeling on your hair - which is why I don't use it all the time - but it really is moisturizing (and it doesn't contain shea butter). Sometimes I mix it with a cream, and that helps to minimize the stickiness.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.You have not mentioned protein .If you are not getting enough I suggest giving it a try.You also did not mention nutrition. Plenty of water, Fruits and veggies and A hair vitamin may also help. Oh,omega 3's. Hair care has to be balanced with all these and products. There are so many dog on products out there now it is wildly confusing to me. I won't even try to recommend any. However, the adding moisture with a product and sealing with a good nutricious oil seems to help most people retain their moisture for longer periods of time. I spray my super dry locs with a combination of Ion leave in conditioner diluted with water in a 1 to 3 parts ratio and then seal with Argan oil. Been three days since I washed and bouncy and sheeny still. (makin up words now) Also a lot of naturals swear by the benefits of using hair steamers after putting their deep conditioners on. The steamers help the product penetrate. Maybe that will help you. Keep us posted. Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, I wonder if the problem is really what you expect the products to do for you vs what they're actually doing. I don't know how long you've been natural but it it's recent, it could just be that you are not yet familiar with how your hair actually is in it's natural state. Or if you are aware, then maybe you want the product to give you something that it can't. I suggest you take a look at the thread that I linked too and see if maybe you need to readjust your expectations.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?149527-Feeling-Hair
    Last edited by Karibana; 09-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

7. Likes CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I totally agree with this. I offered suggestions because I can relate to the original post, and my hair health greatly improved when I found the right products and practices to properly moisturize it.

HOWEVER, I did have to accept that the softness I was going for in the first 4 or so years of being natural is not the way my hair is supposed to feel. Even now, when I know I['m on top of my moisturizing game, my hair can still feel rough. And I'm just fine with that.

I hope that you find what works for you and your hair, OP, and that you are able to recognize and embrace your hair's authentic "feel".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onnica View Post
    Hi.You have not mentioned protein .If you are not getting enough I suggest giving it a try.You also did not mention nutrition. Plenty of water, Fruits and veggies and A hair vitamin may also help. Oh,omega 3's. Hair care has to be balanced with all these and products. There are so many dog on products out there now it is wildly confusing to me. I won't even try to recommend any. However, the adding moisture with a product and sealing with a good nutricious oil seems to help most people retain their moisture for longer periods of time. I spray my super dry locs with a combination of Ion leave in conditioner diluted with water in a 1 to 3 parts ratio and then seal with Argan oil. Been three days since I washed and bouncy and sheeny still. (makin up words now) Also a lot of naturals swear by the benefits of using hair steamers after putting their deep conditioners on. The steamers help the product penetrate. Maybe that will help you. Keep us posted. Blessings.
    Thanks! I actually just recently started taking Omega 3's. Do you have any suggestions for good hair vitamins? I also definitely believe my hair is low in porosity so I may try the steamer.

Karibana, that could be an issue as well. I am really just looking for products that will moisturize. It seems everything I try with protein only dries my hair out more. Leaves it feeling brittle. I can't really can't seem to moisturize my hair :'(

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Be careful with protein, not everyone needs it. Do a snap test, ie take a hair and stretch it out. If it snaps almost immediatly, protein will be detrimental(sp?). If it stretches and streches without snapping, then protein is for you.

That said, I would suggest you clarify your hair occasionally to remove build up and to have "virgin" hair to try the products on, that way you'll know for sure that it is the problem.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

11. Thanks natural*nichelle thanked for this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I have always taken hair vitamins as far back as I can remember. I am taking Visical at this time. My locs are growing by leaps and bounds. A lot of people swear by the benefits of Hair Finity too. I suggest Hair Finity. I started Visical for my hair thinning and it is filling in around my hairline and my thin spot in the crown. I know Locs grow quickly anyway so I do not know how much is from the vitamins. I just figure taking the vitamins help me to do all I can to ensure healthy locs. Plus menopause can do a number on the hair and I try to be proactive in fighting that.. Hope this helps. Blessings.

13. Thanks natural*nichelle thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast