Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Afro NOT a "default" style

I found this statement in a blog. Basically, the author was saying that the afro should not be a "default" style for our hair and that it is not even a traditional African hair style. I just found that interesting. I wear an afro as a default style because it is easy for me. I also retain more length when my hair is left alone and finger detangled. However, I KNOW that her points about breakage due to picking and shaping along with potential tangling ARE valid FOR SOME. I just thought it interesting that she mentioned "traditional African styles" as a sort of explanation as to why we shouldn't wear afros. I know there are some on here who don't wear their hair loose, but if you DO, what are your reasons? Feel free to chime in if you DON'T as well....
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought the afro and variations of an afro were African styles since that's how the hair natural grows out of our heads. Now I have to research what were traditional African styles. I mean, there are like dozens, if not hundreds, of ethnic groups. One of them surely would include the afro as a style from long ago.

I simply like my hair's volume in its loose state, and I'm not a fan of getting locs for myself. I like locs on others, but not on myself. I like to untwist my hair and get faux loosey curly hair. I like to wet and oil my hair and let the hair be a sheeny puffy afro, puff, or twistout. I just love my loose hair. Ironically, I wear twists, braids, and cornrolls more often than I wear a loose bouncy afro or twistouts. But it's still nice to wear my hair out from time to time.
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who cares if it's a traditional afro style? blogging isnt a traditional african way of communicating yet there she is, blogging.

i dont get why what was traditionally done in africa centuries ago have to correspond with what's considered the default in 2013 western civ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy said a lot of what I wanted to say. But I still wanted to respond to your questions OP. I wear my hair loose most days, maybe 5 out of 7 days of the week. I wear my hair loose because I feel prettier with it out. I think big hair compliments my face and style more. However, I don't think I've ever worn an afro outside of the house. I don't know if we're using different definitions but to me, loose =/= afro, necessarily. Twist outs, washngos, finger twirl things, roller sets, puffs, all of those are all "out" styles and how I wear my hair. My first time with an afro will probably be this Halloween... Simple as that, no deep reasons.
    Last edited by Princess Pamplemousse; 10-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    the artist formerly known as Electra

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    who cares if it's a traditional afro style? blogging isnt a traditional african way of communicating yet there she is, blogging.
    My thoughts exactly. . . people have way too much time on their hands!!

6. Likes chachadiva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit, GG...quit making sense!

GG the OP:

I think I may have seen that article you're referring to. It makes the (incorrect) assumption that we went natural in order to connect/reconnect to Africa. It also assumes, incorrectly, that there is a single hairstyling standard that applies to the entire continent. Finally, it assumes, incorrectly, that native Africans are the ultimate authority on Afro-textured hairstyling traditions.

To all that I say: Is is possible that maybe the Afro as we know it is a traditional AFRICAN-AMERICAN hairstyle and that's OKAY?? (clutching pearls)

ETA to answer your question: Having been both loose and locked, short and (currently) "long-ish", I'm wearing the BAA because I CAN and because I've always liked big bushy hair. And because I find straight hair boring as hell (but I keep that thought to myself most of the time).

ETA2 after rereading your post: Maybe we're talking about different articles. Sorry about that...It sounds like she's justifying her choice to wear styles other than the Afro. Which to me isn't even up for discussion...and I guess it does sorta-kinda point back to my original statement in that the things we're doing don't have to necessarily line up with some real or imaginary African standard.

Okay, I'm supposed to be working anyway, let me get out of here...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 10-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

8. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The blogger also ignores that in some parts of Africa, TWA, mostly on the shorter side, are not uncommon. If she's referring to what you have to do for growth retention, then how they wear their hair in Africa shouldn't even be a factor because BAAs are mostly a Western thing.

As for how I'd wear my hair when loose, by default I can't let my hair be great once the because of the military dress code and because I have to wear a helmet on my motorbike. But if I didn't have those constraints, I'd probably be loose most times out of lazyness.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people think Afros are the only option for wearing one's hair naturally.
    la vida es un carnaval.

11. Likes Beautifully Human liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    who cares if it's a traditional afro style?
    Thank. You.

(and the rest of your post made me LOL for real . )
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

13. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foolishness like this is why I don't read blogs.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

15. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast