Likes Likes:  2
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Heel wearers - suggestions please!

I'm looking for some more comfortable heels. I know heels aren't meant for "comfort" per se, but, I need more options that are less painful and less likely to cause corns (which I'm dealing with now ) when I'm standing to teach for 1 - 1.5 hours at a time.

THANKS for any suggestions!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's less about brand and more about fit. any shoe can cause corns if you arent buying the correct size fit.
    my tips for heels:

- buy a half size larger than you normally wear
    - try them on towards the end of the day when your feet are swollen
    - dont go any higher than what you comfortably stand/walk on your tippy toes

brand wise,i find kelly& katie, naughty monkey, seychelles, mix no 6 to be my go to's for cute heels hat fit me well and i can wear for multiple hours at at time

ETA the above were my cheapie brand recommendations. for more mid range brands, i find michael kors and cole haan to be good.

for the expensive brands i've only worn a pair of prada and ferragamo shoes once each (borrowed from a friend) and those were both really more comfortable than i'd expect them to be consider they were the skinny heeled variety. not sure i'd spend that much for heels unil i get to my goal weight
    Last edited by GalaxyGirl2012; 10-09-2013 at 04:25 AM.

3. Thanks CCmomof5 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I begin, the fact that you have corn suggests to me that your shoes are too tight. You could wear flats and have the same problem, it has happened to me. I'm guessing you have wide feet, again something I can relate too. For that reason, I no longer shop at Aldo shoes, they make them too narrow for my feet no matter the style.

Do you need to wear heels? You could go for low heels like Sabrinas or kittens; or even flat options depending on what you're wearing like a nice pair of men style lace ups, which are currently fashionable. You could also go for wedges, they offer more support and I find that at equal height, they hurt less after a few hours.

But I understand you wanting to wear heels, I do it every Thursday when I have to wear my dress uniform so I go as high as I can possibly go. First a few of the tips that were given to me when my friends sent to a walking in high heels class. For size and fit: shop for shoes at the end of the day when your feet are swollen and with stockings on because shoes. And the back of the heel shouldn't be too high otherwise it will shave off your skin (that happens to me when I get new flats for some reason). There shouldn't be then the size of your index finger between your heel the back of the show. And finally, if you have high arches, you should get a some arch support. For stability: Before you even put them on, do a stability test ie put a shoe on a flat surface and tap on the side where your foot's heel will be, the shoe should remain stable and not sway around. Oh and try to see if you can bend the shoes, you shouldn't be able to do so easily. Unstable and overly flexible shoes mean your feet and legs have to work harder to keep the shoes on and more pain at the end of the day.

Other then trying different brands to see which ones are comfortable for you (Nine West tends to be wider IMO), you may have to sacrifice style for comfort though. Payless has a Comfort line, I have a pair of from that collection, I walked around in them last Friday and my feet where mostly fine at the end of the day. You can also shop the brands that are about comfort like Naturalizer and Aerosole, yoy could luck out and find a pair that is close to fashionable. Style wise, you could also try block heels, I find them more comfortable as well. I also like B.O.C. HTH.
    Last edited by Karibana; 10-09-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

5. Thanks CCmomof5 thanked for this post
    Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really appreciate your advice, GalaxyGirl and Karibana! You're both right about it being the fit, and not the brand that can cause corns, but I wanted some good recommendations for brands that have worked well for others.

@GG: that last point - no leels higher than I could comfortably stand on tippy toes - is really good advice that I had not heard before, but makes so much sense. It rules out several pair of shoes that I recently purchased, but I think I'm going to have to follow that suggestion (for work anyway). I'll be checking the brands you mentioned out at DSW soon - all except for the super high-end ones. Can't see myself spending that much on shoes while I've still got all my kids at home (although I would love to try some on if they really are that much more comfortable).

@Kari - I actually don't have wide feet. I never experienced corns until I started wearing higher heels (3+ inches) that caused my feet to slide down to the front, and then the extra squeezing from the toe box caused corns on both pinky toes. And to your question of whether or not I need to wear heels, the answer is no. But since I teach on the college level and often get mistaken for a student, I like the extra height and sense of professionalism the heels give me. And honestly, I feel more confident in heels, and just love the way they look. I do think I'm going to start alternating with some lower heels or flats once or twice a week, though. I'm glad you mentioned nine west - I actually forgot about that brand, but I did really like them, so I'll be re-visiting those. And I have a pair of wedge sandals by B.O.C that I really like, so I'll have to check their heels out as well as the others you mentioned.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the heel sliding, you could go to a dollar store and get some thin leather insoles, even if you need to cut them to fit, to help prevent the sliding.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

8. Thanks CCmomof5 thanked for this post
    Likes Sohful1 liked this post