Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy New a recommendation for chopping locs!

Ok, so I have sisterlocs....love them and love my loctician to pieces! She is the best. But it is time for me to cut them off. I want to go to a TWA. Actually I wanted to try and unlock them myself but I tried to do one lock and never got it done after 2 hours! I only got as far as 1 inch! LOL! Sooooo.....I need someone to transition me from the locs to the TWA...any suggestions? I want someone who can help me with haircare as well.
    May the road rise up to meet you...may the wind be ever at your back...(Irish Prayer)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long have you had your SLs?

I you want a TWA, why not just cut them? Cut them, then have a barber shape your hair for you. If you're having your hair short, then the new growth will be easier to take down rather than trying to take down the whole length just to cut it off. If you're cutting really short, then shampooing alone should take the locks most of the way out, if not all the way out.

DeBe

3. Likes Sohful1 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply! I have had my SL's for 6 years. So, you are saying to cut them a little then shampoo them out for the most part? That is a different idea...never thought of that. Do you think they will unravel? I was supposed to get it retightened in November. I told my loctician that I was going to cut it instead. I will have 8 weeks of new growth by November.
    May the road rise up to meet you...may the wind be ever at your back...(Irish Prayer)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're wanting a TWA, depending on just how short you want it, you can cut accordingly. It's only worth taking them down if you want to keep length, even then many people don't think it's worth the trouble.

Maybe just growing it out as long as you're happy to then cutting, it would give you more unlocked length. Six years of growth is a lot to take down just to cut it off.

Regarding unraveling, there is likely to be some unraveling, it depends on your texture and remaining length as to how much unraveling. I trimmed(about 2") my 7 year old locs and had some unraveling on the ends.

How long/big are you wanting the TWA?

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wanting about 2-2.5 inches...guess I will have to wait until around December?

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. That is such a good suggestion for you to just do a cut to where your new growth meets the loc. Then just go and have it trimmed up. If you want to reserve femininity be careful of who you choose to shape your TWA. I hear some women complain that barbers give them too harsh a line. I hope you enjoy the extreme change you are about to make. I would love a TWA but I have thinning in the crown area so I'm glad to be in love with my Nappylocs. I hope I never tire of them and if I do tire of them I should hope for it to be a passing phase.(LOL) Much success to you. Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Onnica!
    I have thinning in the back of my head and was hoping to stop it by cutting and nurturning it all over again. I have no idea what it will look like but I have to do something as it is very thin...