Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nappiness and randomness and thinking stuff

Carry on...CHB, you said in the last thread:

I can't get with this GHE (Greenhouse Effect). It entails putting a lil natural oil on your hair, adding a plastic cap, and a beanie. It's supposed to stimulate your scalp by making you sweat...

Honestly that sounds nasty. What would your hair smell/look like the next day?

Its supposed to "double" or "triple" your growth rate. Now I'm giving that some serious side eye. No thanks, I don't need any increased sebum production.

I'm not about to jack up my scalp!
    I've never been able to look at GHE and not think of the Jheri Curl days. Folks swore up and down that the Jheri Curl made the hair grow faster. They didn't understand that because the hair stayed wet/slimy pretty much 24/7 (if you were wearing that plastic cap when you were supposed to and some folks just kept that thing on all the time) the strands wouldn't snap off as easily.

Honestly, at this point I'm really tired of black folks' ongoing obsession/search for the Holy Grail of Growth. I just want to shake some folks: YOUR HAIR IS ALREADY GROWING! If you want length, figure out what it is you're doing that's causing your hair to break off and STOP DOING IT. That's about 80 percent of the battle right there.

About halfway through this latest grow-out (3 years as of last month) I realized once and for all that, with only slight differences to compensate for the length, my long-hair regimen is basically the same as my short-hair regimen. That is the single biggest reason why, as a loose-haired natural, my lowest layers are now at or near APL and the front stretches past my chin for the first time since I went natural 18 years ago. A lot of this progress only happened after I had that epiphany.

This morning I did the same thing as I did on Tuesday except I omitted the shampoo step, blow-dried only to about 80 percent, and finished air-drying in Sprangz. If I hadn't done the last part I would have shaved a half-hour off my previous time but that's okay. I'm out here rocking the sexy BAA again today...and am once again thankful to be back in a part of the world where men recognize and appreciate black female beauty...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 11-08-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: my locs went past my chin :)
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

2. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty, Ororo, hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before looking at this pic it never occurred to me that if I did the staggered 'brick' pattern diagonally that I could probably have a neater hairline whenever I braid/twist my hair. I think I'll test drive this over the weekend to see if I like how it looks

4. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty, taniseka liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So umm yeah this is a lot of work. So I guess if I only do it twice a month thats not bad.

now to style this stuff. im put off already. I think I'll bantu knot it and wear it out this week for a few days

ETA, my hair will always grow out. I know I realized this years ago but its so EVIDENT in its stretched out length.
    Last edited by Cerendipity; 11-09-2013 at 07:12 PM.

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

6. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me: I think we've spent enough time together these past 2 days. o.o

Hair: Why, whatever do you mean?

Me: Uh, there's the yogurt dc, baking soda co-wash, mini-twist removal/ detangling, AND coconut oil treatment???

Hair: Oh. That. Well it's not like we've been hanging out all year, what with the protective styles and all.

Me: True, true.

Hair: Sometimes I feel as though you don't love me anymore...

Me: I love you to pieces, which is why I'm braiding you right now! See you in 5 weeks!

Hair: -.-
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

8. Thanks hivierhair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compared to when I first found NP back in 2006 and now, I can't believe how little time I actually spend thinking about my hair. The only reason I'm thinking about it now is because I really need to refresh my hair before Monday and damn it I really don't even want to think about it let alone do it. Um yeah...

If I do it before my 2:30 dance class, at least it would be out of the way. But if I wait and do it after class, I'll likely be doing it for the rest of the evening. Hmmm... Maybe I'll do the top half before class and the back outer edges tonight and then the inside twists Monday morning. Naaaahhh. Monday morning thing is out. Guess I'll do it all today.

Uuuuggghhh!!!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

10. Likes hivierhair, taniseka liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These suckers are staying in until December if not January. Ain't nobody got time to mess with hair.

12. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    Compared to when I first found NP back in 2006 and now, I can't believe how little time I actually spend thinking about my hair. The only reason I'm thinking about it now is because I really need to refresh my hair before Monday and damn it I really don't even want to think about it let alone do it. Um yeah...
    we told you that's what would happen. Muwahaahaaaaaaaa! >:- )

since I've recommitted to keeping my hair fully detangled at all times my hair looks better and feels softer. Hmmmmm :\ @ myself (I'm a slow study sometimes, lol).

so today while I have a day off I shall wash, rhassoul condish, detangle and re-touch my hair color. It's more work than i ever feel like doing BUT it is nice having nice hair again LOL
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

14. Likes hivierhair, Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOW MANY TIMES am I going to have to use the KCKT/KCCC combo before I finally get rid of all my other gels and curl creams for good? Not like I have a lot of either but it's like...sure, I got the big tub of Eco Styler olive oil for maybe $4.00 and sure, there's half a tub left but no matter what I combine it with it simply can't do the dang thing like KCKT/KCCC.

My real problem is that I have a hard time throwing stuff out if I'm not moving and I think I can get some use out of it. I got rid of a bunch of stuff in my last move but for the way I'm wearing my hair now, in one of three styles (curly 'fro/twists/braidout updo), the total number of products I actually need -- this includes shampoo, conditioner, DC, stylers, and oil, and I don't use all of these at once each time -- is about 10. I realize we've had those "Use up all your products" challenges but at this point I'm like...why am I still hanging on to three tablespoons of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding?
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

16. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reached into the recesses of my product stash and pulled out an old jar of Shine and Define. My thoughts:

1) I used to love the scent but now it repulse me. It's way too sweet and irritates my throat
    2)It actually lived up to its name this time. I rubbed a little through some damp hair that I was retwisting and sure enough it defined my coil/wave pattern and made my hair more shiny.
    3) My dislike of the product may have been a reflection of the state of my hair and not the product itself. When I bought this I was co-washing exclusively and coating my hair with butters instead of moisturizers. Now I wash my hair weekly (rotating protein and moisturizing shampoos), use water-based moisturizers, and seal with light oils. Since I don't really have build up there's nothing to block the S&D from doing its thing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't cornrow like the YouTubers I watch. But, I have figured out bigger, angled two strand flat twists (8 total). Ends are safe and hair is lightly oiled after a shower.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast