Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OHR and CHB, re the satin strip braidout: You can also use satin ribbon. Get a long roll and cut off pieces that are the length you need. I did this and it did a great job in stretching out my hair.

This is a timely fact because my hair is telling me it's time to switch away from the curly 'fro back to a stretched style. Thing is, I don't WANNA...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting: according to report on TV about Mandela's passing, it says that one of his legacies is that rise of women who give up wigs and perms in favour or natural hair

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since NP's remodeling, my iPhone 4 can only access the mobile version of the site. Is there a way to like/thank posts on the mobile version?

Tried my iPad, as well. My iPad is quite elderly, and crashes within seconds of me loading the site.

And I wanted to know, does anyone NOT seal their ends? Has anyone eliminated oils period?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat twists into a bun for today. ...Reaching one of those "bored with my hair" stages again but I'm honestly not going to spend 8+ hours installing extensions anymore. It's just too much, and my hair's grown to the length (stretched) I WOULD wear the extensions anyway. Seems and feels pointless. ...Updos and buns it is. If I'm gonna be bored, I may as well wear protective styles.

Went on a product buying frenzy trying to find a mild shampoo. I LOVE the Shea Moisture Raw Black Soap Shampoo, but it's a bit harsh. Brought back the Purification Masque for those non-shampoo days/weeks. Still using the ORS Replenishing Conditioner (it's so awesome for natural hair...if you're not protein sensitive, try it at least once!). Tried the L'Oreal Ever Curl Cleansing Conditioner based on a review......MEH. It does get my hair clean without stripping, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$ and use the S.M. Purification Masque and get the conditioning benefit as well. The L'Oreal products meant for wavy/curly/"tight" curls (as stated on their bottles) just are not moisturizing enough (for my hair) and it actually gave me some frizz that was not wearable. Bought an old staple (Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner) and will take care of my hair either today or tomorrow. *shrug*

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, okay, I listened to my hair and went back into the stretched-hair updo. (I didn't braid; I blow-dried using the tension method). With this curly 'fro I saw a few more C's on the floor than I normally do. I don't know the exact reason; I have a few ideas but I'm seriously considering taking the curly 'fro out of my style rotation for 2014 and keeping my hair in stretched styles exclusively. I'm bummed because I love that style but the cons are starting to outweigh the pros.

CHB, re sealing: Actually I've started heavy sealing with whipped shea butter and I do believe it's made a difference.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

6. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, that L'Oreal junk definitely gave me craptons more frizz than I like. It's "calmer" after using the Purification Masque (that doubles as a deep conditioner) and the Organix conditioner, but still a lot. Dammit. Tossing that garbage IN the garbage, never using it again. (ANY of it.) Wash and go for today with Giovanni Direct Leave-In and EcoStyler. Still have the usual definition, but THE EXCESS FRIZZ! UGH!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mikalia, for what it's worth: I tried L'Oreal's Evercreme when it first came out (it was under a different name; it's the hydrating one) and I liked it a lot, so much so that I'm thinking about buying it again when I finally kill this bottle of Giovanni shampoo.

--

So after 10 minutes of trying different updo configurations I just said "f*** it" and put it into a simple bun. On the one hand I'm happy that 1) I can get almost all of my hair into a bun, 2) the bun's getting bigger bit by bit, and 3) I can secure it with hairpins alone (no elastics and no plastic). I also have a new respect for those who say that once your hair reaches a certain length, it becomes much simpler to style. I think I can say I'm past the "in-between stage" now...

On the other hand, I know I said I need to keep things simple if I'm going to continue this grow-out thing but...is it possible for me to stay in buns all next year?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did I sleep on protein treatments for so many years? I saw very little breakage when I was doing twists this time. My hair is already thanking me after just one treatment. Hallelu!

10. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Good to 'see' ya, WG!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    Sure!

To do this, you can use old scarves, or buy some satin fabric. You cut it into strips, making sure they are several inches longer than your hair. The width I use is 4 inches.

The satin strip is braided into your hair using your own hair as the 3rd leg of the braid. So when you take it down, your hair is in one big, defined wavy piece, instead of three. This keeps the waves at your ends consistent, too.

Once you braid to the end of your hair, you make a slip knot. (Just hold one satin piece along with your ends, and loop the other satin piece around.

It's important that your strips be wide enough. You want the braid to have even legs, so that you get enough stretch.

Works great on damp to dry hair.

Depending on your length, 8-10 plaits should be good. I'm almost apl and have 9

=)
    Wow!

I am SOOOOOO going to try this for the holidays!
    ~Love the hair you have~

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast