Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Mikalia, for what it's worth: I tried L'Oreal's Evercreme when it first came out (it was under a different name; it's the hydrating one) and I liked it a lot, so much so that I'm thinking about buying it again when I finally kill this bottle of Giovanni shampoo.

--

So after 10 minutes of trying different updo configurations I just said "f*** it" and put it into a simple bun. On the one hand I'm happy that 1) I can get almost all of my hair into a bun, 2) the bun's getting bigger bit by bit, and 3) I can secure it with hairpins alone (no elastics and no plastic). I also have a new respect for those who say that once your hair reaches a certain length, it becomes much simpler to style. I think I can say I'm past the "in-between stage" now...

On the other hand, I know I said I need to keep things simple if I'm going to continue this grow-out thing but...is it possible for me to stay in buns all next year?
    At the bolded: sure it is! I haven't done it for a year straight, but the time I spent in buns this year would easily equal 9 months plus, with breaks for some out days here and there, and twists for 4-5 weeks. I can't tell you how many times I took my hair down with the intention of doing something different after a wash/condition, and the sheer thought of the time & effort made me bun right back up. I've accepted that with my hair's density, until I decide to cut it (I'm approaching waist length), buns will be my go-to most of the time. They're so simple, so I just try to change them up sometimes for some versatility.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am learning.

1. I have finally fully accepted that my hair needs to be "in" for most of the time if I want it to grow.
    2. Finger combing is much better than any comb or brush.
    3. I am lazy therefore complicated styles that need long detangling/unraveling sessions are not for me.
    4. My hairline breaks if I keep a style for too long, but changing styles doesn't have to be complicated.
    5. Covering my hair is a must.
    6. I cannot wash my hair unless it's braided first, washing it loose causes extreme tangles.
    7. Shea butter, water, baobab seed oil and castor oil work wonders.
    8. Blow drying and flat ironing not only damage my hair but are useless in this humidity.

Removed my braids after noticing increased breakage along my hairline, finger combed and now I have large twists. Did a quick length check in-between and I have some hair that's almost to the top of my bra strap O_O. I am still far from BSL I see that it is a possibility if I leave my hair alone.
    Last edited by AStone; 12-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    At the bolded: sure it is! I haven't done it for a year straight, but the time I spent in buns this year would easily equal 9 months plus, with breaks for some out days here and there, and twists for 4-5 weeks. I can't tell you how many times I took my hair down with the intention of doing something different after a wash/condition, and the sheer thought of the time & effort made me bun right back up. I've accepted that with my hair's density, until I decide to cut it (I'm approaching waist length), buns will be my go-to most of the time. They're so simple, so I just try to change them up sometimes for some versatility.
    Thank you for this!

I now have a private playlist on YT titled "Natural Hair Updos" that contain tutorials on different updos and aspects of updos (e.g. the French braid; I can do it but not well and I just need a little more practice). I was just looking at Sera2544's updo videos. It took her 5 years to reach WL and for a good chunk of that time she wore buns and updos.

Quote Originally Posted by AStone View Post
    I am learning.

1. I have finally fully accepted that my hair needs to be "in" for most of the time if I want it to grow.
    2. Finger combing is much better than any comb or brush.
    3. I am lazy therefore complicated styles that need long detangling/unraveling sessions are not for me.
    4. My hairline breaks if I keep a style for too long, but changing styles doesn't have to be complicated.
    5. Covering my hair is a must.
    6. I cannot wash my hair unless it's braided first, washing it loose causes extreme tangles.
    7. Shea butter, water, baobab seed oil and castor oil work wonders.
    8. Blow drying and flat ironing not only damage my hair but are useless in this humidity.
    I agree with everything in this list for the most part...only took me 16 years to figure it out though...

Did a quick length check in-between and I have some hair that's almost to the top of my bra strap O_O. I am still far from BSL I see that it is a possibility if I leave my hair alone.
    Except for the fact that I'm just hitting APL, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm really curious to see what could happen a year from now if I manage to spend it wearing buns and updos.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Likes AStone, hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's time for me to give my WNGs a break. Not forever, just maybe until next summer. I don't like the way it falls at this length (APL) and when I try to stretch it out after it dries....it looks better, but I can't get more than 1 or 2 days out of it. Usually, I can do it on Sunday and be good the whole week. It's spoiled me, really.

So, I guess I'll be doing twists. updos, and buns for the rest of the winter. I'm actually having fun trying to recreate some of the complicated styles that I've seen.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re-learning What I Already Knew

Realizing that as my hair finally gets some length to it again, I am having to re-learn what I already knew.

Finger detangling. Did it all the time before. Started again... And I forgot:

When I do it outside of the shower, it LOOKS LIKE I'm pulling out a lot of hair. I have to remember that's the same amount that would've accumulated in my Denman. No big deal.

When I finger detangle in the shower, I don't see the shed hairs coming out.

That's one thing I don't care for, having little coils all over the counter and floor....When I do it after washing.
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 12-09-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gray hairs seem to be multiplying at a faster rate and some of them look like nothing that's ever grown out of my body before. This one two-inch strand, bright white with SHARP kinks, was standing straight up out of my part begging to be plucked but I swore to myself I wouldn't pluck any of my grays so it's staying as well. If my whipped shea butter doesn't make it lay down though I may have to find something more hard-core.

My curiosity still outweighs my concern by a considerable amount but I feel like I only just figured out how my hair works and now it's switching up on me...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@LBell--it was the L'Oreal EverCreme conditioner I tried; it just didn't cut it for me, unfortunately. Not really sure why; my hair just did not feel the way it normally would after conditioning. It also didn't have enough slip for my liking.

Been doubling and even tripling up on my favorite/"holy grail" products lately. I just don't like to run out of stuff. Especially now that winter is basically here (we had our first snow today) and I'm not interested in re-stocking until at least February.

And I am absolutely going to gut punch the next person who tries to touch my hair. I don't care who sees it or doesn't like it. DO NOT TOUCH MY HAIR.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new girl in my department at work has a massive BAA. It's stretched to the max, attention grabbing, and gorgeous. I've complimented her on it twice in the three days that she's worked here.

So, this Indian girl at my job comes up to me and says, "you should do your hair like that new girl that you were training earlier" and laughs. She was being super sarcastic and rude.
    I said "Maybe I will. I like her hair."
    Indian girl: "Seriously. It makes no sense. It's just all over the place."
    Me:"You should go tell her that. I'm sure she'd value your opinion." *rolls eyes and walks away*

I ignored her the rest if the day. She always has something negative to say about someone's appearance, without fail. Ugh!

10. Likes KinkyChica, CCmomof5, AStone, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default >.>

My hair is braided...AGAIN. I had my hair out for 2 months after doing C&G for a year.
    I wanted the challenge to be over, so I could enjoy my hair and protective style it w/o extensions.
    I tried this, I tried that...Long story short, I'm not feeling it.
    Turns out the best way for me to protect my hair is with extensions. My ends can't shrink up on themselves, and I can wash my braids whenever. No frizz, unraveling...
    I would be bunning, but I don't have any ouchless elastics + I don't want to pull my hair back everyday.

So....I spent 13 hours installing my braids. Didn't even blink.
    Bet you ill be apl when these come out. :P
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me like, me like a lot.

13. Likes MommieDearest liked this post
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast